It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giraffes gunned down for family holiday 'fun'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Calm down everyone! This is an article from the sun. I'm sure it is fake. The sun is known for ridiculous fake journalism. Just look at the main page on their site. Britney Spears ‘orgies’ on tour..... is just 1 of the other made up stories they are running.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The Sun doesn't necessarily lie, but they do often embellish!

My take on this is with any hunting. I appreciate that there are still people across the planet that need to hunt in order to stay alive, but to hunt for "fun" or "sport" is beyond me! To me it shows a real pathological lust to exert dominance over another life. However most of the people who go on these types of hunts place a greater value on material and financial wealth than on life itself. The same type of person who shoots their family and then themselves if the business goes down the pan and they have to move from a 25 bedroom mansion in to a 5 bedroom semi-detatched. It's not their fault as such, most are the result of inbreeding.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Cry me a river!
What are we up to about 10 of these emotional mushfest threads this week? Its still early so maybe we can hit our weekly quota of 30.

Lets do what you all say. Lets stop tourist hunters from going to Africa and killing stuff. Please do so. By all means.
Then after this new wonderful policy of yours has had time to take effect. After you have saved all these glorious creatures from being "murdered". Then we can all put you on a plane and divide you up. Some will go to Kenya, some will go to Tanzania, some will go to South Africa. Once there you will drive deep into the hinterbush to the remote villages. You will get out and the elders of the tribes will be told that you all are responsible for the ban on hunting.
Once they have killed and eaten you I will collect all of your fancy zero weight backpacks and ultra high tech travel gear and bring it home to sell. I will donate the money back to those villages that you destroy by removing the only source of steady income they have. I will make sure that I take DNA samples of all the wild life that will soon be extinct since no one locally will really care if they live or die anymore.

Get off your high horses and stop gushing all over yourselves to be the most disgusted by a normal human activity.
People kill things. Guess what some of them like to kill animals. Its a rush you cant imagine unless you have done it. It is what it is. As long as the animal is used the cycle of nature continues. Herds of grazing animals must be selectively hunted to maintain the balance. Like it or not Natural predators have been killed off and do not take as many animals as needed to keep the balance. Too many herd animals the food is over eaten. Many will starve (suffer) To few animals and the other animals that depend on them for food will starve. Thats why you manage the herds and kill trophy animals. This allows other members of the species to grow larger and more healthy. Wipe your tears up and learn a little.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FeatheredSerpent

Hello

Quite frankly this is disgusting. It beggars belief that this sort of barbarity can be carried out in the name of fun or sport. You really have to stand back and ask yourself the question as to whether or not humans as a species really deserve to exist on this planet at all given this and every other heinous act that we have committed collectively. Maybe we should just simply be wiped out and allow nature to flourish in the way natural order intended.

Kalanthius Flipside

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by PW229
I was taught two very simple rules about hunting when growing up:

1: NEVER point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot.

2: If you shoot it, YOU ARE DAMN WELL GONNA EAT IT.

Agreed and well said.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Must be a real accomplishment to hunt down a docile animal that's larger and slower then the others. Also goes to show that some people have so much money that rather then donate to a good cause, they choose to spend "tens of thousands" of dollars just to kill a giraffe.

I bet for the right price in one of those war-torn African countries, one can pay to hunt the natives and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it hasn't been done already. Just we haven't heard about it since noone will risk flaunting about it....yet.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Very sad. I've been hunting since the age of 5, but I was always taught to never shoot an animal that was not intended for food. I can also understand killing animals to protect people or livestock. I do not like trophy hunting.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeatheredSerpent
Opened up my paper this morning and came across this-

A FAMILY poses for a happy holiday snap - standing proudly beside the giraffe they have just shot dead for sport. Tourists like these are paying tens of thousands of pounds to legally hunt giraffe, the elegant, gentle giants of the animal kingdom. Many take the animals' heads home as a sick trophy of their African "adventure".

Link-www.thesun.co.uk...

They call shooting these gentle giants hunting?disgraceful!and then they pose for pictures with the dead animal

Ive handfed these with my children at the local zoo,will be an experience i will never forget.

Regards to all
edit on 30/09/10 by FeatheredSerpent because: (no reason given)

1. I did not click on the link. I do not like to look at images like this.
2. There's hunting for food and hunting for sport and I condemn the latter.

MBF

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It may be just me, but that giraffe don't look dead. If he was dead, he would be laying flat on the ground. He looks like he is in a sitting position.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'm okay with hunting if its done for controlling overpopulation or for food.... But for sport??? Ill never agree with it and I believe its totally wrong to kill some of natures most beautiful creatures... Some people dont have a heart

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
I don't eat animals or use animal products, the whole human race needs to grow.

This may work for you but the majority of humans realize that we are omnivores and will eat meat accordingly.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by L00kingGlass

Originally posted by PW229
I was taught two very simple rules about hunting when growing up:

1: NEVER point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot.

2: If you shoot it, YOU ARE DAMN WELL GONNA EAT IT.

Agreed and well said.

Agreed! How I was brought up as well

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
-
edit on 18-1-2012 by dadgad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by silverking

Whilst The Sun does like to embelish things this is very real.

Link-www.africanskyhunting.co.za...

Seems if you got enough money you can shoot pretty much anything in the plains of Africa.

ETA- As i stated before hunting to feed yourself is one thing but hunting for so called "sport" is ridiculous and imo the only thing your feeding is your ego.

Regards to all

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Originally posted by Char-Lee
I don't eat animals or use animal products, the whole human race needs to grow.

This may work for you but the majority of humans realize that we are omnivores and will eat meat accordingly.

Nowadays Humans are more Carnivore than Omnivore, almost close to absolute carnivorerism! until all the antibiotics and hormones accumulate.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatheredSerpent
reply to post by silverking

Seems if you got enough money you can shoot pretty much anything in the plains of Africa.

Wow.. White Rhino is on the list, WTH... its on near endangered status.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Reading the comments here I know again why I visit so frequently. Even though politically I slightly differ in opinion for the rest I share the same idea's as the most people here. You are all great people!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
By the way, fruit and vegetable bearing plants feel pain and know terror too. I hope you think about that next time you kill those innocent tomatoes.

There is no reputable evidence which says that plants feel and experience pain, let alone possess sentience, self-awareness or feel emotions. They don't have a brain, for a start. Of course, it would be erroneous to categorically state that they don't experience pain (they may have another mechanism which allows them to ''think'' and experience emotions and feelings, which is yet to be discovered), but seeing as there is no evidence to support this, there is absolutely no reason to believe in a tenuous hypothetical proposition, such as this.

On the other hand, there is overwhelming evidence which suggests that our close mammalian relatives are sentient, and experience pain and emotions.

Aside from the factual inaccuracies, the ''plants feel pain'' argument which is promulgated by conscience-panged carnivores, is the height of dishonesty.

If you genuinely believe that plants feel pain, then are you as disturbed by seeing someone mowing their lawn as you would be if you saw someone chopping up a cow? Are you as upset by seeing someone pulling petals off a flower as you would be if you saw them pulling limbs off a pig? Are you be as disgusted by someone uprooting a weed as you would be if you saw them pulling the head off a dog? Do you think that people who intentionally uproot or damage plants should face ''plant cruelty'' charges and sentences which are equal to those that they would face for animal cruelty?

If the answer to these questions is ''no'', then you know full well the difference between killing and eating a plant and killing and eating a fellow mammal.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

It is pretty simple really, what would we want to be treated like if an outside "Superior" or dominate species took over the planet. If they gave us a fine habitat with bars and threw us some food and water, threw in a mate they choose, would that be ok? Everyone wants freedom not just humans and everyone wants to raise their families in peace.

Hunters don't give a thought to blasting a bird from the sky that mates for life and some will not take another mate after theirs are dead, they have even been seen to put themselves in harms way to try and save their mate.

There is a film of a crow that spends part of each day bringing food to his injured mate day after day and will not leave her.

here are just a few creatures that mate for life.
www.mnn.com...

After learning how meat "products" are produced I agreed with what someone once said NOTHING can taste THAT good! if you cause untold suffering for the sake of your taste buds how sad that is. If you eat for your body you also become wiser in other ways. we enjoy what we are used to and believe me we quickly become used to new things and love the flavor! Learning a new way is a wonderful adventure!

Everyone should see this I received in an e-mail this morning, it made me cry. These lovely guys have been slaughtered and are almost gone, many for trophies like a hand or a hide or a head.

www.youtube.com...&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by silverking
Calm down everyone! This is an article from the sun. I'm sure it is fake. The sun is known for ridiculous fake journalism. Just look at the main page on their site. Britney Spears ‘orgies’ on tour..... is just 1 of the other made up stories they are running.

Even if it were the facts are there, they do "hunt" these animals and the same thing happens!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join