It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska's Bermuda Triangle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
"Amid the untouched beauty of Alaska's varying landscape, a mystery lingers. Because people seem to go missing at an eerily high rate, a large section of the state has come to be called Alaska's Bermuda Triangle. Planes go down, hikers go missing and Alaskan residents and tourists seem to vanish into the largely untouched backdrop.

The so-called Bermuda Triangle slices through four of the state's regions, from the southeastern wilderness and fjords to the interior tundra and up to the arctic mountain ranges. Its points include the large swath of land from Juneau and Yakutat in the southeast, the Barrow mountain range in the north, and Anchorage in the center of the state."

adventure.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

so.. what are your thoughts? lol all you did was quote the site

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
He must have saw the preview of Brad Meltzer's decoded on the History channel which will be about this coming up this Friday

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Alaska is some very, very harsh country for the most part. There have been reports that many drunken individuals who wander off go missing, as expected they probably freeze to death face first in a snowbank.

But it is hard to grasp just how inhospitable Alaska can be in the off season, so it's not very surprising that things disappear up there. Now when planes disappear on a clear day with perfect visibility and radio/radar contact, that is a bit suspicious.

King

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this. This is the first time I heard about a triangle in Alaska.

I'm not sure its just the triangle that makes people disappear. People go missing all around the state. Theres more to it than that. I live in the rural part of Alaska so I know a bit about this stuff. One of the explanations is what we call the anakuqs (shamans) and their grave sites.

My father knows his way around these parts very well, like the back of his hand so to say. He usually help out with Search and Rescue too when there are missing people on the trails. He almost never make it home one time. He was near a shamans gravesite, he didnt know it at the time, there was this place he got around to and couldnt recognize. Then he came to realize, yes he got lost. The place he called "no mans land, nothing but rolling hills and mountains." When he got home, around the time when the sun sets and it gets dark, he found out that it was a work of a shamans grave, not one but three. There is also a jade house belonging to one of the shamans near those grave sites and thats why he got lost. I guess the shamans didnt want him to discover that jade house. My dad knows better than to mess around with shaman graves, let alone a jade house belonging to a shaman, cause he knows what can happen if he does.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
"Amid the untouched beauty of Alaska's varying landscape, a mystery lingers. Because people seem to go missing at an eerily high rate, a large section of the state has come to be called Alaska's Bermuda Triangle. Planes go down, hikers go missing and Alaskan residents and tourists seem to vanish into the largely untouched backdrop.

The so-called Bermuda Triangle slices through four of the state's regions, from the southeastern wilderness and fjords to the interior tundra and up to the arctic mountain ranges. Its points include the large swath of land from Juneau and Yakutat in the southeast, the Barrow mountain range in the north, and Anchorage in the center of the state."

adventure.howstuffworks.com...

I lived in Alaska....wanna know why people go missing? Not because of some mysterious thing....but because most of Alaska is sooooooooooo remote that it is incredibly easy to go missing and never be found. Seriously. People go on walks unprepared (no compass, no weapons, no survival skills, etc etc)....there are dangerous animals out there....cell activity is non existant in many many areas....and there are not trails everywhere. People love to go off the trails and wander...................and get lost.....and probably never found.

I cant tell you how many walks I went on (which you MUST have a weapon in hand to do so) and I literally had no signal on my phone for HOURS. If I were to die, id never be found probably and be eaten by animals!

As far as planes go....it is a very dangerous climate for planes too....ever watch "Flying Alaska"? If not, do so...you will see how difficult of a job it is flying around that state....
edit on January 17th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

And doesnt the terrain all look the same depending on if your in a snowy area? Making it hard to get points of reference?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm currently watching this doc on TV about The Alaskan Triangle... very interesting situation where myth seems to make more sense than science.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Ok here is my mind thought yes Alaska is rugged and i would like too say 7 out of every 10 people is just Alaska life now for the other 3 i watch allot of these shows they inerest the brain avid history and mystery buff anyway theres a small bumch of these areas where these place are and each one has ufo activity and strange lights and other freak incidents here is a mind thought and i can guess some of my idea wont be right but here it goes each place has a high emf and vortex's and bad storms ok cloud colision can create electricity lightning bolts have allot of electricity you get circular formation of high electricity creating techinicaly a hole in space time a hole is not round and can be long and flat depending on how you look at it wich could explain both the ufo sightings amd disappearance of planes and the physics are there to support you being able to go back in time but who knows what direction a hole like that would send you

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Huh, looking at that map -- the only roads in/out of Alaska go right through that triangle. Also, there are a lot of gold mines in there as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kingalbrect79
Alaska is some very, very harsh country for the most part. There have been reports that many drunken individuals who wander off go missing, as expected they probably freeze to death face first in a snowbank.

But it is hard to grasp just how inhospitable Alaska can be in the off season, so it's not very surprising that things disappear up there. Now when planes disappear on a clear day with perfect visibility and radio/radar contact, that is a bit suspicious.

King

It would seem from the link most of the disappearances are easily explained by sound science - confusion and an unforgiving environment is a sure recipe for big trouble.

It can also be explained by possible unusual magnetic fields in the area which can make magnetic compass worthless or point in the wrong direction. This is quite dangerous for planes who are depending on their compass to navigate - they might think they're flying by a peak when they're heading straight for it, unseen due to a cloud. Also the lack of radar coverage due to remoteness will make pinpointing the crash quite difficult.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

This is a very good explanation- a magnetic field in the area was the reason why compass didnt work and planes couldn't get out from there.

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aktulu
Thanks for sharing this. This is the first time I heard about a triangle in Alaska.

I'm not sure its just the triangle that makes people disappear. People go missing all around the state. Theres more to it than that. I live in the rural part of Alaska so I know a bit about this stuff. One of the explanations is what we call the anakuqs (shamans) and their grave sites.

My father knows his way around these parts very well, like the back of his hand so to say. He usually help out with Search and Rescue too when there are missing people on the trails. He almost never make it home one time. He was near a shamans gravesite, he didnt know it at the time, there was this place he got around to and couldnt recognize. Then he came to realize, yes he got lost. The place he called "no mans land, nothing but rolling hills and mountains." When he got home, around the time when the sun sets and it gets dark, he found out that it was a work of a shamans grave, not one but three. There is also a jade house belonging to one of the shamans near those grave sites and thats why he got lost. I guess the shamans didnt want him to discover that jade house. My dad knows better than to mess around with shaman graves, let alone a jade house belonging to a shaman, cause he knows what can happen if he does.

I know this post was awhile ago, but do you have any info on this? I tried to look it up as I was curious but nothing was found (I also live in Alaska). Back on topic I fly somewhat regularly in the triangle and havne't really had anything weird happen. I was on one job though that we had to work near a native burial mound, nobody was allowed near it and it was supposed to be a huge secret as to what it was to everybody for some reason.
edit on 9-8-2015 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Having flown over a great deal of the Great Land in small airplanes, I can tell you, one goes down in most parts of Alaska, it's not gonna be found except by luck, and transponders undamaged by the fall.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The trend airing fake documentaries is unethical.
I notice people younger then me, are taking for granted that everything on Tv is fake now. Even when it is not. So, they dont look at it anymore. I quit the Animal planet after they start airing programs like "mermaids", monsters and what not. I do not know anymore when a documentary is fake, so assume all may be. So i quit it.
No journalistic ethical standards anymore for sure.
This is trhe bar owner who increase his sales by adding water in the beer to sell more. Very quickly mo one came anymore.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The trend airing fake documentaries is unethical.
I notice people younger then me, are taking for granted that everything on Tv is fake now. Even when it is not. So, they dont look at it anymore. I quit the Animal planet after they start airing programs like "mermaids", monsters and what not. I do not know anymore when a documentary is fake, so assume all may be. So i quit it.
No journalistic ethical standards anymore for sure.
This is trhe bar owner who increase his sales by adding water in the beer to sell more. Very quickly mo one came anymore.

posted on Sep, 20 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Also from Alaska here, been here all my life, almost 34 years. Obviously was a kid many of them, but at least in my adult life I've paid attention.

Small plane crashes are common. Bush pilots especially take huge risks due to the nature of their work. Many private pilots underestimate the way weather can change here as well, or can lose their way in flight.

While there are the occasional rumors of dangerous places or anecdotes of friends of friends of friends who've gone missing or had mysterious experiences, I've yet to really see or hear of anything that would make me thing we have some extra hot spot of paranormal activity.

Never heard of an Alaskan Bermuda triangle either, at least not anything called as such. People go missing all the time, and I don't think it's a particularly paranormal thing either. More often it's a case of someone overestimating their survival skills, underestimating Alaska's vast wilderness, or a healthy combination of both.
edit on 20-9-2016 by UnmitigatedDisaster because: (no reason given)

top topics

join