It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Obama Sign Controversy In Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I have several different opinions about this controversy in Florida. This man does have a good point that if you can't protest on your own property, then where can you protest, but you have to be honest and ask, "Would I want to live next door?"......One opinion is that our world is politically doomed if this is what we have to do to be heard.....another opinion is that this is just nonsense.....you have to watch the video to see the man's whole house to see just how much nonsense.

WINTER PARK, Fla. - The trailer reads, "OBAMA'S OPPRESSIVE REGIME" and "OBAMACARE MANDATES," and it has been parked in the driveway of a Winter Park homeowner for more than a month.

www.hapblog.com...

Neighbors are complaining that the political display is an eye sore. Winter Park code enforcement officers tell FOX 35 that the trailer, the flag poles and a sign on the roof and signs in the yard all violate codes

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I would love to live next door to, or in a community where people can express their opinions anyway they want. The man is right, if you can't protest on your own property then where can you. I hope he sticks to his guns. If he is violating local laws or codes he probably end up in trouble with the law and going broke from legal costs of fighting the fight.

Its sad that people face so much flak for what they do on their own property. I live deep in the country so I don't have neighbors that would complain if I did something simalar, heck most people around here would like it. In the end this just shows how far the institutions have gone to strip rights away from the people. Next they'll make it illegal to wear political shirts in public or something stuped like that.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Neighbors think it's an eye sore... Than don't freakin POINT YOUR EYES IN IT'S DIRECTION!!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I wonder if you could do this in washington on a giant billboard???
The guy is right, but the unfortunate part is obamas thugs will soon come to black bag him

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This reminds me of how furious I get when cities make you get a permit to protest. Why should you need a permit, which implies "permission," for a Constitutional right? This case seems extremely similar. Constitutional rights should trump city ordinances EVERY TIME.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I can agree with him on principle, but calling Obama the worst tyrant ever and the hammer and sickle. The whole thing is just extreme, that trailer is basically shouting political nonsense at everyone with no forethought or intelligence behind it. So basically and average day in American Politics

EDIT:

I'm no Obama fan myself, but this trailer doesn't help in the long run. It turns political decisions that impact our society as a whole into a game show. Instead of point, counter point all we get is hyperbole name calling.
edit on 1/17/2012 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mcupobob
I can agree with him on principle, but calling Obama the worst tyrant ever and the hammer and sickle. The whole thing is just extreme, that trailer is basically shouting political nonsense at everyone with no forethought or intelligence behind it. So basically and average day in American Politics

But he has every right to do so. It's on private property and nonsense or not he is protected by our constitution.

I agree the message is extreme, but the message being political nonsense does not mean he can't say it or in this case, show it.

We have free speech for all for free speech for no one.

I don't agree with the message he is putting out, but I defend his right to say it.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Thats what I mean when I agree with him on principle, I think he absolute has the right to protests there. I just wished he used that speech in a well mannered way, but if he did do that he wouldn't have ended up on the news. Crazy world right?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

Very true. Yeah, the news is all about sensationalism and ratings anymore,but that's a rant for another day

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Blah.. I made sure when I bought my house that I didn't live in a neighborhood with "codes" outside of the traditional: dogs have to be kept inside the fence, grass has to be cut... mm .. that's about it! Down the street begins the "association" and all I ever hear is gripes about bs rules they make. If the guy wants a trailer against Obama SO WHAT .. not that big of an eye-sore either.

Liberals HATE having their President made fun of.. if the guy had a George Bush on a noose it would have a crowd cheering it on.. Liberals believe in immunity from insult.. how many times have we seen anti-Obama signs, billboards etc protested?

Freedom of speech.

Unless it goes against your political beliefs........

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
if things were done properly, we wouldnt have a NEED to protest. this mans views in a free society should be encouraged just like mine or yours, if they are right and true. then otherwise should be ignored.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Its ok to put up political signs in your yard- as long as they arent bad ones?

Every political season is like this. People put signs in their yards for supprt....This man turned his entire homestead into political support. Not something I would do, but its his right. Cant nick pick these things.
Its either ok or its not.

I just feel sorry for him when he has to do home repair because of some Obama lover getting payback.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I saw one recently which was a sticker on the back of a vehicle that read -

"What does the LA Zoo and Washington DC have in common?

One has an African Lion and the other has a Lying African!"

I thought that was sweet!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetnlow

I just love this website.

There's no logic and the hive mind seems to dominate most issues.

If I were to put up a huge statue of Obama in my yard, you can bet your ass that there would be backwards hillibillies coming around to try and topple it.

I just think it's completely #ing retarded.

The Obama = Commie meme has to die. It makes no sense because the man is closer to the fools on the Right than the fools on the Left. He is essentially Bush-Light.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

I think it's racist but hey, we're supposed to DENY IGNORANCE on this site, not promote it.

None of you have gotten the memo.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Why can't he just put up a sign then?

Putting it on a #ing trailer in his yard? What's wrong? Was he dropped on his head as a baby?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by flipflops

It doesn't work that way.

It's called a neighborhood because everyone has a NEIGHBOR. They SHARE the NEIGHBORHOOD.

Where's the logic?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

I think it's racist but hey, we're supposed to DENY IGNORANCE on this site, not promote it.

None of you have gotten the memo.

If he self defines as African-American then how is it racist to refer to him as African

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The signs and poles on his property violate city codes. City Code violates Free Speech. They need to contact the ACLU.

This is from a similar case:

ACLU Speaks Out Against Freedom of Speech Violation

The American Civil Liberties Union of Florida sent a letter today on behalf of Bryan J. and Leilani J. Orr, whose constitutionally protected free speech right to display political signs in their front yard was recently suppressed by the City of Clermont, FL, located in Lake County. Code Enforcement Officer Betty McMinamen demanded that the Orrs remove the sign from their yard in an August 23 letter citing a City code requiring a $50.00 deposit in order to display a political sign.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I would still contact the ACLU if I were them.

On that note, perhaps I should be allowed to put up a sign mocking Mittens, I'll just post a picture of him choking a dog.

new topics

top topics

join