It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackout of Wikipedia?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hey everyone,

I just did a search on 'Bing' for OPEC because I wanted some info. before I responded to a thread. I clicked on the OPEC wikipedia sight and got up and left the room for just a few minutes. When I returned to my laptop the screen was black with bold white words that stated:

Please note: In less than 26 hours, the English
Wikipedia will be blacked out globally to protest
SOPA and PIPA

I know what SOPA is but not PIPA.
Has anyone else seen this?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by will615

Good, more power to them! Their sister website, Uncyclopedia, is also blacking its front page (uncy is a satire site which looks like wikipedia and has many thousands of very good articles and thousands of horrible ones). Many others will be joining them. Wikipedia's participation should make global news all day Wednesday.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I haven't seen it yet personally as I haven't needed to go to Wikipedia for anything, but they have clearly stated that they are protesting SOPA and the dangerous censorship legislation loopholes that it represents.

It doesn't surprise me that they are doing this, it should be a pretty powerful message considering the sheer amount of people who use Wiki for resource and research material.

I wouldn't worry unless SOPA passes, Wiki will be back up as soon as they feel their message has gotten to enough people. You'll just have to be patient.

King

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Wow! If wikipedia is going to be blacked out some heads will turn. This SOPA thing must be some game changing legislation that makes the major players of the internet going scared. I have a feeling it is going to pass. And their will be 4 billion new pirates surfing the net. Just the control wished upon on many policy makers. What will happen after now will be recorded in permenent internet history. What am I doing about it? I am replying in a message board... Sad really. GOOD LUCK INTERNET.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by will615

SOPA and PIPA are the same thing!

One is a bill for the House of Representatives and the other for the Senate

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by IncognitoGhostman
reply to post by will615

SOPA and PIPA are the same thing!

One is a bill for the House of Representatives and the other for the Senate

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by will615

PIPA is the act seen here www.opencongress.org... to protect IP address is this a good thing? , well would you want your home address known on the net er web or your lap tops log in site ? to me it does not matter but to some this is like posting the color of underwear they wear the brand and were they get it, and how often, some things are just meant to stay privet. on second thought it is a noyb bill that should be let to rust in the halls of lost bills

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Thanks for the insight on the subject. I agree that it's none of their business and the government should stay the hell out of it!

Don't they have bigger fish to fry anyways?

new topics

top topics

join