It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Republican Who Wanted Drug Testing For Welfare Recipients Gets DUI

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Georgia Republican Who Wanted Drug Testing For Welfare Recipients Gets DUI

In the same week that we find the sponsor of SOPA has been engaged in copyright infringement on his own Web site, we get the sponsor of the bill that would drug test citizens who are on public assistance caught driving drunk and running red lights.

The "do as we say, most certainly not as we do" party struck again, and this level hypocrisy might just shift the tectonic plates and reveal a whole new world for the rational among us (or whatever is left).

Rep. Kip Smith, the Georgian Republican sponsor of Georgia House Bill 464, which would “require random drug testing” for citizens on public assistance, found himself drunker than Lindsey Lohan (only ugly and with no talent) and apparently was arrested friday morning on a DUI.

From the Atlanta Journal Constitution: State Rep. Kip Smith charged with DUI in Buckhead

Smith was charged with three offenses -- two DUI charges, and the third, failure to obey a traffic control device. He was released on bond. An Atlanta police spokesman said the department would have no comment beyond the police report.

Now let's see a bill that requires all lawmakers to submit to random drug testing as well - hypocritical #$%#@$.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Whats that quote? Oh yeah , those that live in glass houses.....

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Where is Nelson when you need him?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Classic irony....great post.

I agree that this type of law should apply to others as well.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I dont see your angle with this post. He broke the law and is paying the price. I dont see him asking me to foot his bill. There is the difference. Completely different from the sopa story. He is not on welfare, and he hasnt failed a drug test. I dont remember the welfare screening having anything to do with alcohol anyway...
Invalid point!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TomServo

It's called irony, alcohol is a drug too yanno?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
I dont see your angle with this post. He broke the law and is paying the price. I dont see him asking me to foot his bill. There is the difference. Completely different from the sopa story. He is not on welfare, and he hasnt failed a drug test. I dont remember the welfare screening having anything to do with alcohol anyway...
Invalid point!

How do you know he isn't on welfare?

He did fail a drug test, it's called a breathalyzer.

The fact that welfare screens wouldn't test for alcohol (yet would for other drugs) is part of the point.
edit on 1/16/2012 by Josonic because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
Invalid point!

Wrong. He did fail a drug test. That's why he was arrested. He blew into the machine and failed. Alcohol is a drug. Just because it's legally sold does not make it ok to consume and drive.

This moron could have killed someone or himself. The point OP is making is that someone who wishes to implement laws based on moral behavior or subjective behavior should at the very least be able to live their own life free of unethical behavior and illegal activities. This isn't apples and oranges.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
At least he has a job and most likely paid for the booze himself. Big difference then sitting at home on welfare asking society to buy it for him.

Sorry don't see one story relating to the other, if one wants society to give them a monthly check then stand in line and take a blood test because those working should not be feeding there drug habbet but rather there belly

And if they dont like it they can always get a job and buy all the drugs they want, or better yet, if a person does have a drug problem that happens to be on welfare perhaps this can be used as a tool to identify and treat those in need

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
In the province of British Columbia, Canada the Premier was arrested in Hawaii Driving under the influence. After surviving the humiliation (thanks to the spin doctors) he the brought to law the strictest drinking and driving laws in North America. So it could get worse for the people of his state as he makes ammends!

edit on 16-1-2012 by brice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I do feel like there is some merit testing welfare recipients for hard drugs. But I also agree that there is a degree of hypocrisy stemming from this this guy's actions

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
We'll see if this really slows him down or not in the long run. My money says it's 50/50 he pulls some form of the rehab scam for damage control then uses this as a springboard to ride the anti-drunk driving issue. I know I'm getting cynical about politics, but it's also pretty accurate these days.....

As for drug testing welfare recipients, I'm all for it.....RIGHT AFTER...Politicians, cops and teachers go under the same mandatory testing that would be placed on welfare people or anyone else. If getting a handout check means drugs cannot be done, I'm fine with that.....but it's equally true for those other role model or safety positions, eh? Fair for one is fair for all. Ask the drunk lawmaker of the thread. lol..

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Not to mention said moron is a politician, and therefore being paid with tax money.

But of course as a politician he's not likely to be poor, so therefore is OK. HIS sucking at the public teat is acceptable... he has a JOB. pfffft.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

You and I have no right to tell others what to do with any form of public assistance.

May I suggest that you kindly worry about your own affairs? If others are abusing public assistance, it WILL catch up to them one way or another.

You should go join Kip Smith in the drunk tank. Birds of a feather, flock together!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

You and I have no right to tell others what to do with any form of public assistance.

That's the issue though. Why not?

We should have no right to tell people on what to spend money they EARNED (although you often support policies that do exactly that). However, maybe charity meant for life sustenance should be strictly scrutinized.

My idea is to stop all transactions immediately and open a food warehouse in the government housing sections. Free rent, free food, no utility bills.

Not a red cent though. It shouldn't be comfortable. It sounds a lot like prison...or the Army.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
Not a red cent though. It shouldn't be comfortable. It sounds a lot like prison...or the Army.

So what you are saying is that 100% of people on public assistance of any kind are nothing but freeloaders, who should be treated as if they have committed some crime or other.

Never mind that a sizable percentage of people on public assistance are people who followed "the rules" all their working - yes, WORKING - lives, then got screwed by some corporate hose job or other and now cannot find work after being in the labor force for 30+ years.

Oh HELL yeah, those people deserve no comfort, put the bastards in jail or the army... yeah. It is entirely their own fault that all the manufacturing jobs have been shipped out of this country and replaced by nothing.

God save this country from the spread of this kind of attitude.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Where is Nelson when you need him?

This post made me so happy!

Star for you

edit on 17-1-2012 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
At least he has a job and most likely paid for the booze himself.

One could argue that anyone working for the government on the taxpayer's dime is, in deed, on welfare. Or, at a minimum, they should be held to the same standard as welfare recipients, as the money that pays them comes from the same source.
edit on 17-1-2012 by Muttley2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Anything politicians enforce on the public should be auto-enforced on them. If you cannot be on drugs or alcohol to get taxpayer money then politicians need to pass weekly drug and alcohol tests.

PERIOD.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
there is an old southern saying - "the guilty dog always barks loudest" - take a look at swaggart - jimmy that is - always blasting how evil it is to partake of a prostitutes wares and he was the biggest abuser and still does the same old thing - www.skeptictank.org...

well, that's between God and swaggart - i suppose he was counseling 'em or doing some kind of research - maybe a 13-step program -

in georgia we have some of the worst laws - i mean this is really a police state folks - iwpr.net...

and something is going to happen when the subpoena is served on o b a m a a notice to produce - www.infiniteunknown.net...< br />
police will be out in force for the day of reckoning -

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join