It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Valerian used to curb/control alcohol withdrawal symptoms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Yes to that taurine ! lots of potential for that , it could be an alcoholics best friend .

When we drink to excess, fat builds up in the liver, causing it to swell and reducing blood flow to this organ so vital in breaking down the toxins alcohol. Even one night's over-indulgence can cause fat to accumulate . But some studies have found that taurine not only prevents this , it can reeverse it. At about the same time as Red Bull and vodka became a popular tipple in the UK , toxicologist professor John Timbrell was investigating how taurine can protect the body.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Nature , hooks it up again! with some great ways to battle the poisons we put into our bodies.

i would take this supplement as a good diet , even if i don't drink ! After some more testing and data of course lol.

Didn't find any serious side effects .

here is also some great words from that other article.

"People who do not want to change their diet and do not want to change their lifestyle ask doctors for a pill instead. There is no such thing as monotherapy for cardiovascular disease. If there was, we'd all use it and be saving literally a million lives each year. Is it really that big a surprise that niacin alone isn't enough to do the job right? "

Be an alcoholic , take a pill and your good , from the mental , biological , and physical states of it . Yes its great to help people. But what are we really creating . Its okay theres a pill for it ? or maybe we can do it in a safer manner, without all the side effects it has on society , life , and ones self.

but i highly doubt that.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HiHoAZaway

Thank you for sharing your success story and experience. I'm going to let her know your experiences and that you made it through

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf10
after seeing this thread i went out and bought some valerian from the drug store.
i'm going to give it a try tonight.
i drink about 20-30 oz of wine every eve. and i have been drinking this amount for about 15 years, and i'm always beating myself up for it.

i'll let you know if it works.

I'm glad you're going to give it a try... I can't wait to see if you get the same results.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I'd also like to mention that l-triptophan is AMAZING to help fall asleep if your trying to break the addiction.
I use it nightly and you wake amazingly fresh even if you get broken sleep cycles.

put this on your list. you can get it at stores like whole foods, etc.
l-triptophan. it's helped me beyond belief.
edit on 1/17/2012 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

You wont find a link or source to Amy Winehouse dying of detox, because she did not do a detox, she just stopped having alcohol full-stop. That is why it is very dangerous to stop taking alcohol if you are an alcoholic. I am not going to explain the medical reasons behind it, you can research this yourself.

I am simply giving a warning to people who think they can just stop taking alcohol after years of alcohol abuse that going 'cold turkey' is a very dangerous thing to do. If you dont heed my warning, then so be it ...... your choice, your consequence.

I work with alcoholics and drug addicts every day by implementing and supervising detox regimes and I see the results daily, so I am not making this up.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Thank you for the advice. I'm keeping close contact with her both in person and on the phone. You are completely correct. It can be dangerous!

She is one of those that refuses professional help.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
My friend is doing good, I am so pleased to say!

She was staring at an unopened beer when I got there last night after work. She said she had been looking at it for an hour.

We talked for a bit about why she should not drink it, and I offered to take the beer with me when I left (which she said no) and told her it was HER decision, and I left her the bottle of Valerian on the table.

Well, she called me a couple hours later and asked me to come over. She had drank the one beer, and gave me the rest to take.

I thought when I got there tonight I'd find her drinking, but she wasn't! And she said she had to think long and hard about whether she was going to go get beer. But she chose not to.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I guess I should clarify here that I am in no way judgemental about alcohol. I like to have my beer sometimes too

But it's when it's destroying your life that you have to take a step back and take a long look at things.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Sad that we have to replace one addiction with for for another but I'm all for
it

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
it

Usually this is done so the body can adjust from what it had become used to, so it isnt a shock, which is where the problems start. It is also to provide symptomatic relief from withdrawal symptoms and also to provide vital replacements such as Vitamin B and Thiamine.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
bump.

OP, how is your friend doing?
just checking in.
hope all is well.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
bump.

just checking in.
hope all is well.

Hey thanks for checking

She's doing really well, although she "fell off the wagon" one night about a week ago and had 3 or 4 beers. She had a really stressful day that day. At least it was only a few beers and not her usual liter of vodka.

The next day, she got back with it again and has not touched alcohol since.
Obviously she is struggling some still.

She still craves the alcohol daily, and still takes Valerian which curbs the cravings. She did start taking milk thistle also.

Mentally, she is doing really great. She has become stronger mentally, and doesn't just give up and get depressed easily like she used to.

She says she misses the "buzz" but doesn't miss being really drunk and having a hangover every morning.

edit on 29-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Tell your freind WELL DONE and keeo it up.
I have been drinking quite heavily(i used to drink 16, 500 mls cans of 5% lager a night but switched to two 75 cl botles of red wine about five years ago-typical alcoholic's logic its red wine so its good for you) for about 20 years,
i stoped on the 13th of december,i have been using valerium tea to help me sleep and i have to say its spot on and that is coming from someone who hasnt fallen asleep in a very long time,i used to fall into unconsciousness.
I have been sober for six weeks now and i feel loads better,so tell your freind its hard but its do-able.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

Good job Marvin! I think Valerian has some real value to it, and I wish it was more of a public knowledge.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

Originally posted by zooplancton
bump.

just checking in.
hope all is well.

Hey thanks for checking

She's doing really well, although she "fell off the wagon" one night about a week ago and had 3 or 4 beers. She had a really stressful day that day. At least it was only a few beers and not her usual liter of vodka.

The next day, she got back with it again and has not touched alcohol since.
Obviously she is struggling some still.

She still craves the alcohol daily, and still takes Valerian which curbs the cravings. She did start taking milk thistle also.

Mentally, she is doing really great. She has become stronger mentally, and doesn't just give up and get depressed easily like she used to.

She says she misses the "buzz" but doesn't miss being really drunk and having a hangover every morning.

awesome to hear this. sorry for my late reply.
good on you for keeping up the positive element in another person's life.

edit on 29-1-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
I just started to cut down also..

I am tired of the abuse i am doing to my body..

been drinking beer for years now..

I have Valerian root in my house..

should i try it too...

scared here..

can't sleep since i cut back on the beer consumption..

was doing 13-15 beers a night..

now i am down to a 6 pack..

but i keep waking up at 2 am...

tired....

Me too man.

Me too.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

You wont find a link or source to Amy Winehouse dying of detox, because she did not do a detox, she just stopped having alcohol full-stop. That is why it is very dangerous to stop taking alcohol if you are an alcoholic. I am not going to explain the medical reasons behind it, you can research this yourself.

I am simply giving a warning to people who think they can just stop taking alcohol after years of alcohol abuse that going 'cold turkey' is a very dangerous thing to do. If you dont heed my warning, then so be it ...... your choice, your consequence.

I work with alcoholics and drug addicts every day by implementing and supervising detox regimes and I see the results daily, so I am not making this up.

Yes, my mum does this too. Ironically, I am an alchoholic myself! Go figure?! But yes, cold turkey is extremely dangerous and I too am sure that's what killed Amy Whinehouse.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
it

Indeed, that's what got me drinking in the first place...

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Wotan

Aimee Winehouse died of alcohol poisoning according to the coroner. She did stop cold turkey and binge regularly. She died as a result of a binge with a blood alcohol level often know to be fatal , respiratory arrest.

I've just stopped today. Cold turkey, taking valarian tea.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join