It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Got A Bread Machine As A Gift, Scared To Try!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I usually like too make things by hand, as there is better control, but I am finding less and less time to do these things. So I received a Oster 2lb Expressbake Breadmaker.

Apparently it makes dough, pasta, breads, rolls, and jams. I only tried regular bread, and it was fine, but I know there has to be a ton of stuff I can do with it, but the book has a lot of well, boring recipes.

There is a Mennonite store by me, and I can get anything you can think of from there for almost anything, including pectin, which I didn't know what it was but its for jam. So if there is anything fun, and tasty that you guys know of please share.

I am going to try ravioli next week, but I would like some tasty bread recipes or anything that can accompany most meals as a filling side in.

Thanks in advance, NRE.

If I try anything (given recipes), and I dont mess it up I will take a photo and post it here

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I like to. Knead my dough by hand. I'm an amateur btw, and 2 yrs without an oven...
anyway, as I get older and hands hurt a lot, I'd like a bread machine!

Sorry no ideas, but I'd love to hear how your experience goes!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Bread as in money? Greenbacks? I'd be scared too those are illegal.

But seriously.. Homemade bread smells soooooo yummy!!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
(now I gotta order some breadstix)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I did a Google search for "bread machine recipes" and came up with a whole list of stuff.

These are a few of the first ones:

Allrecipes.com
Food.com
BettyCrocker.com
Better Homes and Gardens (BHG.com)

I spotted an apple strudel in that bunch somewhere. If you can get that one to work, how about sending a care package?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

I tried a raisin bread, and the machine started shaking like it was possessed. I figured maybe someone out there knows better recipes.

If I figure out how to make that It will be gone before I can send it

Peace, NRE.

BTW, thanks so much for the links

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
hmmmm I may have to get another one. My last one got lost in a move. What I liked about it was that I could make my own rye bread for pattymelts. We don't use a whole lot of rye bread and the machines make such a small loaf that I could use the whole loaf for dinner.
Back on topic....start out with the "boring' ones in the booklet that came with the machine as a way to practice with the machine. You'll know right away whether you and the machine are a good match. But have fun!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The only bread we eat is from my bread machine. I absolutely LOVE it! Good luck learning about it and I hope you have FUN!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
I did a Google search for "bread machine recipes" and came up with a whole list of stuff.

These are a few of the first ones:

Allrecipes.com
Food.com
BettyCrocker.com
Better Homes and Gardens (BHG.com)

I spotted an apple strudel in that bunch somewhere. If you can get that one to work, how about sending a care package?

I swear by "Jo's Rosemary Bread" from the AllRecipes site. All other bread dough is simply prepared in the machine, and then I move it to bake it the oven. But this rosemary bread gets the whole bread machine treatment - I love it! But I grind the dried rosemary leaves before adding 1 1/2 tsp of them. I hate when someone turns perfectly wonderful rosemary into toothpicks. It goes together in 5 minutes.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

don't be scared to try the bread maker! I had many 'fails' at first but eventually, I was successful and it was well worth the waste. My advice is to get to know your machine. lol -> they are all different.

I made the best gluten free bread ever, even better than you can buy at the shops. The smell of it cooking too is great.

Have fun!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I tried to make raisin bread but with figs, its my daughters favorite, it did not go well

But as I understand to keep the bread fresher longer you can put a celery slice in the bag, and to be sure not to tighten it so much.

I want to try butter rolls this weekend. I am a little less scared, but the fig bread fiasco did put me off a bit, now I'm going to stare at the machine until its done

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

well additions such as dried fruit are a bit tricky. They are quite 'heavy' and I found that the majority of the time, they sank to the bottom and added extra moisture to the bread.

It takes 2 - 3 hrs for the bread to be cooked and I ended up just adding things in the last 50 mins or so to the top of it, herbs and cheese - things like that.

It does have different settings for different things and that is where it can be tricky.

let us know how you get on.

edit on 25/1/2012 by Thurisaz because: (no reason given)

top topics

join