It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science and the Bible (Informative)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Hello! I just wanted to stop by and create and thread about what i have found about "Science and the Bible". It is all very interesting and i thought this would be simply interesting to share with others that might not have found this type of Information.

www.godandscience.org... (A very good source for believers and non believers to find interesting topics to research)

I will simply post some inetersting things about the Bible dealing with Science we know today!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --

Time had a beginning

7 but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory

The universe had a beginning

Who created the heavens and stretched them out,
Who spread out the cearth and its offspring,
Who gives breath to the people on it
And spirit to those who walk in it,

The universe was created from the invisible

By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.

The dimensions of the universe were created

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The universe is expanding

Thus declares the Lord who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him,

Creation of matter and energy has ended in the universe (refutes steady-state theory)

Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

The universe is winding down and will "wear out" (second law of thermodynamics ensures that the universe will run down due to "heat death"-maximum entropy)

Of old You founded the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.
Even they will perish, but You endure;
And all of them will wear out like a garment;
Like clothing You will change them and they will be changed.
But You are the same,
And Your years will not come to an end.

Describes the correct order of creation

(Genesis 1:1-27) www.godandscience.org...

Pleiades and Orion as gravitationally bound star groups

Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades,
Or loose the cords of Orion?

Light is in motion

Where is the way to the dwelling of light?
And darkness, where is its place,
That you may take it to its territory
And that you may discern the paths to its home?

The earth is controlled by the heavens

Do you know the ordinances of the heavens,
Or fix their rule over the earth?

Earth is suspended in space

He astretches out the north over empty space
And hangs the earth on nothing.

Earth began as a waterworld. Formation of continents by tectonic activity described

You covered it with the deep as with a garment;
The waters were standing above the mountains.
At Your rebuke they fled,
At the sound of Your thunder they hurried away.
The mountains rose; the valleys sank down
To the place which You established for them.
You set a aboundary that they may not pass over,
So that they will not return to cover the earth.

Vents exist on the bottom of the sea

Have you entered into the springs of the sea
Or walked in the recesses of the deep?

Ocean currents in the sea

The birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea,
Whatever passes through the paths of the seas.

Air has weight

When He imparted weight to the wind
And meted out the waters by measure,

Winds blow in circular paths
Blowing toward the south,
Then turning toward the north,
The wind continues swirling along;
And on its circular courses the wind returns.

The chemical nature of human life

By the sweat of your face
You will eat bread,
Till you return to the ground,
Because from it you were taken;
For you are dust,
And to dust you shall return.”

At any time, there is day and night on the Earth

I tell you, on that night there will be two in one bed; one will be taken and the other will be left.
There will be two women grinding at the same place; one will be taken and the other will be left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, the Bible was not written as a work of science nor was its purpose to describe the workings of the physical world. It was written to explain spiritual principles - the nature of mankind, the nature of God, and how people can have a personal relationship with God. However, when the Bible describes the physical world, it is accurate. The purpose of this page is to illustrate some of the remarkable examples of scientific principles described in the Bible hundreds to thousands of years before they were proved to be true by science.

www.godandscience.org...

I found this information very interesting and i hope you do as well.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Im not religious at all, But this is highly interesting.
Perhaps the creators of the bible were really, scientists.
Describing the message in a story to mankind.

One can replace the word 'God' with 'Universe' and it still means the same thing.
Seeing as how the universe did create everything,
We are here today because of it.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

I was about to make a lengthy reply to all of your quotes, but alas, I don't have the time. Most of the bible quotes and scientific "facts" you have posted in relation to each other is irrelevant. Some of which like "Earth began as a waterworld. Formation of continents by tectonic activity described" aren't true. The earth began as a ball of molten rock. Most of the bible quotes are simple observations of the natural world. I know you were just sharing a link that you found interesting, so I don't want to come off as dickish by trying to disprove it all. But you haven't really convinced me that science we know of today was in the bible. Most of the quotes can be interpreted into many different things and ideas too.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSleepCreep

You are more than welcome to try and refute the Bible versus i posted.

I am looking at them in the Bible now and most of them are simply what they are saying. Though God is intermingled with the description of what is being said. The versuses are simply being straight forward and arnt being overly metaphoric in my opinion.

In my opinion again , there is little to refute. You are welcome to place your explanation. This is a education thread. My belief in Jesus will never change , but this is meant also as a learning process. You post information and i study your information and see if i can reply with an alternative to your information. It is simply to learn.

Rarely am i offended unless some one simply says God does not exist .. my reply.. prove it. You are more than welcome to say prove God does exist. Ill say i cant. We both win

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSleepCreep

Double post.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I enjoyed the post. I sometimes wondered why more thought and openmindedness wasnt put into the bible.

Imagine, it's been around this long, knowledge under the noses of the masses for so long, even in supression, that "science" remained. The same with the book of Enoch. Facinating stuff.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think there is sufficient evidence for intelligent design,and the Bible teaches us how to perceive His work,i do not worship someone i do not know,YHWH is the good shepherd and our Father in heaven and He teaches us through His word.

For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Romans 1:20

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

You are more than welcome to try and refute the Bible versus i posted.

Refute what? Vague verses of observations.

"The sky hath blueish hue this day."

Here, refute that...

If you can't it must make me Godly...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Vague? It is simply the wording. I dont find it very vague for some one who lived thousands of years ago.

The verses are not very Vague , but credit the phenomenon to God.

I think they are rather accurate.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by boncho

Vague? It is simply the wording. I dont find it very vague for some one who lived thousands of years ago.

The verses are not very Vague , but credit the phenomenon to God.

I think they are rather accurate.

The same could be said about ancient Egyptian, Roman and Mesopotamian writings, of which are attributed to man...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
None of these prove anything. They are basic observations that anyone should be able to deduce.

Some of those verses you listed don't even specify what they are talking about. They are vague; you read what you want to read. The Bible is NOT a science book.
edit on 17-1-2012 by novastrike81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by novastrike81

You are correct. The Bible is not a science book. The wording and how they are used is rather interesting. Things that are just now becoming common knowledge. Just within the 20th - 21st century.

You cannot refute that people from 6000 years ago knew things that we are just now accepting Within the past 100 or so years or heck within the past 400-300 years.

If you can understand sentence wording , the verses arnt very vague at all .. but quiet clear. It also depends on how much you want to deny that the bible seems to have interesting facts regarding some of the science it mentions.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Time had a beginning - In Science, time is just distance over speed -a measurement - illusion

The universe had a beginning - We also don't know this, and the answer is leaning more towards it didn't

The universe was created from the invisible - Again, we don't know if it WAS created

The dimensions of the universe were created - We don't know this

The universe is expanding - You got 1 out of 5 correct so far. Congrats

Creation of matter and energy has ended in the universe (refutes steady-state theory) -

Never can be CREATED and Never can be destroy only changed, so you are incorrect

The universe is winding down and will "wear out" (second law of thermodynamics ensures that the universe will run down due to "heat death"-maximum entropy)

Not really, according to thermodynamics, energy can never stop existing so the "heat" will just keep flowing to other parts of the universe - it will always be the same amount of heat, just transferred to other areas, so this is wrong.

Describes the correct order of creation -

Genesis says that plants existed without the sun, days and nights existed without the sun, it took 3 days to create the Earth and 1 day to create all of the approximately 70 sextillion stars. Also, the sky is just water separated from the bottom waters called "sea". So this is definitely wrong

Pleiades and Orion as gravitationally bound star groups - I'll give ya that one!

Light is in motion -

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this considering the sun is light and people saw it moving throughout the day.

The earth is controlled by the heavens -

Not really, it is controlled by gravity of other planetary objects which causes it to keep spinning around the sun. Not really anything in the "heavens" per se.

Earth is suspended in space - 4th one correct

Earth began as a waterworld. Formation of continents by tectonic activity described - 5th correct

Vents exist on the bottom of the sea - 6th correct

Ocean currents in the sea - 7th correct

Air has weight - 8th correct

Winds blow in circular paths - 9th correct

The chemical nature of human life - 10th correct

At any time, there is day and night on the Earth -

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this. People even in ancient times could see that this was true.

So God knew 11 out of 19 facts about the Earth , interesting....

Also most of the "fact" that he knew was encoded in ambiguous language and therefore no one could know about this information until AFTER the scientific discoveries.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The earth is controlled by the heavens

Do you know the ordinances of the heavens,
Or fix their rule over the earth?

This is really flaky, whoever made this.
The one has nothing to do with the other.
This is a quote from Job and in this story, there is this powerful entity asking (according to my interpretation) if Job can question if he is actually God or not since he was not there to witness who exactly did all these things.

new topics

top topics

join