It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikipedia to go dark Wednesday in protest against SOPA, PIPA

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Thats very true, I even had a professor tell me to use wikipedia when writing a research paper. Not to use the information specifically but so that I could find sources used in the actually entry. You must have sources when you up date an entry and even then the entry is reviewed by the staff. Its why you don't see much of the immature garbage like you used too. Wikipedia is entirely useful good point maslo.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Google To Use Home Page To Protest PIPA Tomorrow

Following the news that Reddit, Wikipedia, and a bunch of other sites will be going dark to protest PIPA (and, to a lesser extent, SOPA) tomorrow, Google has now announced that it will use its home page to express its dislike of the bill. Google has not made clear exactly how it will protest. It won't "go dark" like those other sites, but it appears that it will post some sort of link, and will highlight ways for people to contact their elected officials in protest over the bill. With both Google and Wikipedia pushing people to call Congress... you might want to assume that Congress is going to get a few phone calls tomorrow.

We'll take it. Thanks Google.

Source

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalshredmetal
i also believe this is a good move..

and i also think other sites like google should do it too.

.... i was having trouble thinking of more websites,,,,but when i really think about it, most of them are probably already owned by people who WANT SOPA approved.

facebook? na
yahoo? na
youtube? maybe

the more (temporary) blackout the better, this needs to be advertised on TV for all the idiot-box watchers to see too

What would be even better is if they do it all at the same time. So people would remember what the world was before "The Internet" and will oppose this stupid bill for sure

Peace out.
edit on 17-1-2012 by bigwig22 because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
For those who really need to check something - If you stop the page loading before the blackout appears, or disable JavaScript, you can browse Wikipedia normally.
The people who know how to do this are probably not the target audience of the blackout, so I dont think it will harm the effort.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Well, we have Wikipedia back, and I saw several spots on the television news and heard some talk on the radio.

This just in...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Yet another example of the 1% trying to make law in America.

Anti-privacy to protect billion dollar industry, if i would use a P2P íllegal'' site then its because I am sick and tired of the number of games, music and films that are crap. The number of Albums I have bought when there is only one good song on it, games that last days and films I would rather have the hours of my life added to the end.

If its good, I will buy it, if its not, # them, they deserve the little bit of leakage on behalf of those poor fekrs who paid.

And another thing, if i paid 50 bucks to see a movie at the cinema that i like, why cant i get a disk or code to watch it at home, or should I pay 50 bucks every time and then 50 bucks to buy the dvd.

Sort your own idustry out fisrt you 1%
edit on 19-1-2012 by FastJetPilot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FastJetPilot
Yet another example of the 1% trying to make law in America.

Anti-privacy to protect billion dollar industry, if i would use a P2P íllegal'' site then its because I am sick and tired of the number of games, music and films that are crap. The number of Albums I have bought when there is only one good song on it, games that last days and films I would rather have the hours of my life added to the end.

If its good, I will buy it, if its not, # them, they deserve the little bit of leakage on behalf of those poor fekrs who paid.

And another thing, if i paid 50 bucks to see a movie at the cinema that i like, why cant i get a disk or code to watch it at home, or should I pay 50 bucks every time and then 50 bucks to buy the dvd.

Sort your own idustry out fisrt you 1%
edit on 19-1-2012 by FastJetPilot because: (no reason given)

On the other hand...

Amongst other things, I am a writer, teacher and researcher.

A few years ago I began in depth research of certain historical events for a period novel upon which I am working. I had an enormous amount of data which I not only needed to find and complile, but to organize both in chronology and geography.

Early on, I realized that creating a Google Earth placemark for each piece of data, complete with my notes, and proper footnote form from Bibliography entries was beneficial. When I had completed the research, I realized I had a valuable collection of mostly lost data and a valuable format for presenting that data for other historians representing thousands of hours of work.

Here is the problem:

In 2012, who is going to publish a bound historical Atlas? I don't think any publishing house will want to do that, for the very reason that Google Earth is so prevalent and so convenient-- the very form in which the data exists on my own computer.

If I share the kmz files, there is no way for me to be compensated and no way for me to control its digital copying and distribution.

But if it were not for the new technology, my work is superior to ANYTHING available on the subject and a gold mine for the most knowledgeable of historians of these events (pardon the lack of the expected false modesty!).

In any other time, I would expect to be well compensated, because the work I have done is valuable.

Likewise, my singer-songwriter friends, give away some of their best material because their names and work need to be known if they are to be recognized, and the Internet is the way to go about doing that. But then, how do they buy groceries, if their works is digitally copied in violation of copyright laws?

As a writer, I do the same thing, under a pseudonym-- a certain genre of work which I produce apart from other other work and use a different name. That pseudonym gets mail asking me to publish some of that work in book form-- and under my real name (and I have published some).

But while ebooks are taking away the bound publishing market, the ability to have one's work reproduced by others and not be compensated at all-- while the thief is making money on advertising-- why should I bother?

I have a good product, but if I cannot translate my work into buying groceries, why share it?

I recently bought and read a novel by a Pulitzer Prize winning author. I loved the prize winning novel, but the latest one was garbage-- and should not have been published. Does that give me the right to scan it, and put it on the Internet for free download?

Nope.

But many people believe, and even argue, that it does give them that right. Thus we need some law and some technological means to enforce copyright-- because people will steal and then excuse their theft-- even profit on it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join