It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Bible still pertain today?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
reply to post by Akragon

Ack, Akragon! The original statement, made by yourself, was that, "it wasn't written for "protection of our immortal soul"...It was written as a means of control over the populous... "

So the argument that the "Church" exerted its misguided power over the common man & woman through councils and edicts has no bearing on who or how the Bible was written.

Furthermore, and as you should know by now--and I think do--the abuse of power doesn't negate the 'message' in itself. Don't confuse the "Church' with the Christian.

And now for the internal evidence: I find it consistent with the heartfelt passion with which it was obviously written.

That's my opinion, mileage may vary.

Thanks for your reply though--as off-topic and full of faulty logic as it was--I'll always have a warm place in my heart for your lil' heathen self.

edit on 17-1-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

Keep in mind my friend... the bible was complied by the church... who also chose what to include or exclude as well....

Many "letters" were not written for the "salvation of the world"... but more to preserve the words of one that understood God...

The bible itself was compiled by the church... as a means of control... the individual books of the bible may have had a "higher" purpose that was unknown to the authors of said books...

Oh and btw

hea·thens or heathen

a. One who adheres to the religion of a people or nation that does not acknowledge the God of Judaism, Christianity, or Islam.
b. Such persons considered as a group; the unconverted

I can't be converted to religion... though if you choose to label me as a heathen that is your judgement...

I don't mind, i've been called worse

I don't acknowledge the Gods of religion because there are far to many to even consider... Though i do consider the "Father" of Jesus my God... so i'd be careful how you judge me...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

But you are not him... only a part of him...

You believe the path is blurred... i will tell you it is not blurred what so ever... as i previously stated, its as clear as day, though that depends on what one believes Gods word is... IF you are one that believes that the "entire bible" is Gods word... then it is garenteed you will stumble... This belief creates judgement of others...

First off , i was explaining what i would do if i was him., part of him ? well thats another discussion..

of course the path is blurred. Clear as day ? really ? How do you look at your days ? through a bottle ?

Clearly we have different defintions of clear as day my good man.

Nobody knows what god's word is . all we have is old scripture , which is highly questionable .

I would never believe the bible is word of god , to many issues with it . I wouldn't even think god would let it get so tainted . Judgement day i will look god in the whatever , and tell him

"are you kidding me " this is what you give mankind ? is this some sort of sick twisted joke ?

all your doing is picking select verses , known as cherry picking . I can paint the bible into my own picture too if i took a verse from here , a verse from there and disgarded the bulk...

Keep in mind we live in an entirely different time.... this world is one HUGE distraction... Spiritual progression is much more complicated then it was in those times...

if i seen the water turn red , lice , dark skys , split oceans , water from rocks etc. It would not take me very long at all to be religious . They cheated , they got the answers , god gave them sneak peaks

i demand my sneak peak, as they got it .

We have TV, the media... your phone... your computer, your car, your house... your bills... debts.... etc etc etc... there is an endless list of distractions in this day and age that keep you from finding your true self... This is why so many turn to religion, because most are lost within this world we've created...

yes we have all those cute things , but lets go to any sea and split it for me , i promise you i'll leave all that and help you deliver christs message . But nobody seems to be able to pull that one off.

How about turning the atlantic ocean red for few days? Noo??

if we could see these things today , i assure you many would forget about those things you mentioned and be on board.

But we don't have that , all we have is "trust me" "i feel it "

Secondly people are turning away from god , as we move through time. Not towards it . I see in all religions more and more people becoming more laid back about it , not taking it as seirous , not practicing etc . Generation after generation its fading , why ? because everyone is fighitng over who's god is what scripture...

Those that still witness the "miracles" of God are those that seperate themselves from society... or even go on a "personal spiritual journey" if you will...

yea i know about these personal spirtual journeys , its great euphoric cocktail of chemicals for the brain giving a spirtual experince , great for meditation and personal philosophy , But its not for the masses. They need something tangable ,, something to bite into .

That isn't going to happen my friend... religion has its purpose... it does lead many to God, though some are beyond the need for religious authorities...

if there is a god , then yes religion has its purpose . The religion we see today and through the millenia has been tainted and taken over by some psychopaths with some control issues.

But what does god do ? stand by and watch. and let it happen , let the message get screwed up . Making it ever so difficult to connect with him and find out what he wants.

Unacceptable in a dieties philosophy ! i reject his notion of justice through this means.

IF they understood who they worship... there would be no question between religions... sadly most do not understand their God... They mearly understand their preacher and what that person believes

Maybe because prayers don't work ? they don't get a response ? how can you understand something that doesn't interact with you ? besides the cocktail of feel good chemicals one gets reading soem scripture of mediting. Surley you can recreate this emotion with drugs , stimuli , electrodes in the brain ?

"They" can't get together because they are in competition with each other... "our God is better then your God"

Is it to much to ask the all mighty to step in ? say hey i'm god , follow this k thx and bounce?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Why don't you ask him?

IF you truely seek God you WILL find him... its not an easy task, but one that is achieveable if its what you truely seek...

he still hiding and not taking calls at the moment.... What if i'm seeking god and i find the devil pretending to be him ? What if i follow the devil thinking im following god ?

Unless god comes thru , gives me a bone to play with . I won't know who's who. Sure its achievable but my problem is the path and source to get to that level.

Correct...

Though its not God that isn't "right"... its his children...

his children are messed up in the head , if they still do silly things like make a golden idol after the COUNTLESS miracles they witnissed . Why would god give land to such mentally unfit people ?

i would be very pissed if i was god , and these tools can't see all i've done for them yet still question me .

Thats why i don't believe that happened. I don't care what kinda skeptic you are , if you see those miracles happen before your eyes , there is no excuse to even think about another god.

But they did , they disrespected him yet they still get promised land ? BAH

i would've told them , Because of you tools you are not the chosen people anymore , your a bunch of morons who wouldn't understand a miracle if it fell outta the sky and fell on your face.

I would switch the chosen people to another group wouldn't you ?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Awww, I love ya man...and I appreciate your intellect. I was just teasing with heathen thing. I certainly don't consider you non-spiritual.

And, I agree, The 'compilation' aspect of your argument is something everyone should consider when contemplating the Bible and its validity.

Blind faith is silly, 'educated' faith rocks!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

hahaha, you gotta slow down hun... I love your replies by the way...

I appreciate your sense of humour... And i know you're waiting for my next reply...

Clearly, you have a lot of questions... and i will address them as best i can, but remember i can only give you my answers which might not "ring true" to you... you must find your own...

Though through these questions your "truth" will eventually come out...

Be right with you... this might take a while

edit on 17-1-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

of course the path is blurred. Clear as day ? really ? How do you look at your days ? through a bottle ?

I live ( or look at?) my days for love... to promote and nurture it in any way i can...

Clearly we have different defintions of clear as day my good man.

Clearly...

Nobody knows what god's word is . all we have is old scripture , which is highly questionable .

Incorrect...

Some old scripture is undeniable...

I would never believe the bible is word of god , to many issues with it . I wouldn't even think god would let it get so tainted . Judgement day i will look god in the whatever , and tell him

"are you kidding me " this is what you give mankind ? is this some sort of sick twisted joke ?

Gods word within the bible is not tainted my dear...

And im sure on "judgement day" you two will have a lengthy discussion... though at that time you will KNOW the truth either way...the Truth of your actions in this life and your previous... and you'll be doing nothing but saying... yes sir

all your doing is picking select verses , known as cherry picking . I can paint the bible into my own picture too if i took a verse from here , a verse from there and disgarded the bulk...

Cherry picking is taking ONE verse... and giving it your own meaning... I do not do that... one must read the entire chapter for meaning...

if i seen the water turn red , lice , dark skys , split oceans , water from rocks etc. It would not take me very long at all to be religious . They cheated , they got the answers , god gave them sneak peaks

i demand my sneak peak, as they got it .

This is why we have scripture... it was written for a reason... all scripture has a purpose, some are there to decieve... some are there to "enlighten"... its up to the reader to find out which is which, if they chose to do so...

Can't help you on the "sneek peek" though... but if you ask him, and that is what you truely seek in your "heart and spirit" he will give you what you want.... And even then i promise you... you'll laugh uncontrolably in disbelief... but if you keep searching... you WILL KNOW he exists...

You must find him... he already knows you

if we could see these things today , i assure you many would forget about those things you mentioned and be on board.

But we don't have that , all we have is "trust me" "i feel it

As i've said not everyone is meant to understand... I've yet to figure out why this is, but i've been leaning towards each person's Karma

Secondly people are turning away from god , as we move through time. Not towards it . I see in all religions more and more people becoming more laid back about it , not taking it as seirous , not practicing etc . Generation after generation its fading , why ? because everyone is fighitng over who's god is what scripture...

Yup, many are turning from him but there are more these days that truely know him as well... Perhaps these people are becomming "laid back" because they're realizing religion has it wrong... we live in the age of enlightenment... knowledge is spread by click of our fingers now... as you can see... click click click

yea i know about these personal spirtual journeys , its great euphoric cocktail of chemicals for the brain giving a spirtual experince , great for meditation and personal philosophy , But its not for the masses. They need something tangable ,, something to bite into .

God is not for the masses my dear... Though that is what he would prefer...

Religion is for the masses... Its purpose is to "plant a seed" in its followers... a seed of belief in the spirit... and from there you walk your own path... and are led by only who you chose to listen to...

God prefers a personal relationship with you and all of his children... And God is NOT in the bible... but his son is... and he is quite "tangable"... IF not flawless as far as i've found.

if there is a god , then yes religion has its purpose . The religion we see today and through the millenia has been tainted and taken over by some psychopaths with some control issues.

But what does god do ? stand by and watch. and let it happen , let the message get screwed up . Making it ever so difficult to connect with him and find out what he wants.

Unacceptable in a dieties philosophy ! i reject his notion of justice through this means.

I just told you want HE wants....but again, you don't have to believe me.... who am i?

He has no reason to "interfear"... this world is perfect, and so is his system though its hard to believe...

As i've said its up to you to "connect" with him, he knew you before you were born.

Maybe because prayers don't work ? they don't get a response ? how can you understand something that doesn't interact with you ? besides the cocktail of feel good chemicals one gets reading soem scripture of mediting. Surley you can recreate this emotion with drugs , stimuli , electrodes in the brain ?

God does interact with you every day... you just don't see it...

What do you believe "God" actually is?

Is it to much to ask the all mighty to step in ? say hey i'm god , follow this k thx and bounce?

Apparently...

he still hiding and not taking calls at the moment.... What if i'm seeking god and i find the devil pretending to be him ? What if i follow the devil thinking im following god ?

Do you not know a tree by its fruit...?

Unless god comes thru , gives me a bone to play with . I won't know who's who. Sure its achievable but my problem is the path and source to get to that level.

He comes through every day of your life... but you don't realize it...

his children are messed up in the head , if they still do silly things like make a golden idol after the COUNTLESS miracles they witnissed . Why would god give land to such mentally unfit people ?

i would be very pissed if i was god , and these tools can't see all i've done for them yet still question me .

Thats why i don't believe that happened. I don't care what kinda skeptic you are , if you see those miracles happen before your eyes , there is no excuse to even think about another god.

I assume you're refering to moses?

And i believe God was "pissed" if im not mistaken...

But they did , they disrespected him yet they still get promised land ? BAH

i would've told them , Because of you tools you are not the chosen people anymore , your a bunch of morons who wouldn't understand a miracle if it fell outta the sky and fell on your face.

I would switch the chosen people to another group wouldn't you ?

You believe Gods chosen people consist of a race or religion?

edit on 17-1-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
reply to post by Akragon

Awww, I love ya man...and I appreciate your intellect. I was just teasing with heathen thing. I certainly don't consider you non-spiritual.

And, I agree, The 'compilation' aspect of your argument is something everyone should consider when contemplating the Bible and its validity.

Blind faith is silly, 'educated' faith rocks!

13But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

14Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

13But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.

14Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

I feel ya...that's why I don't buy any human's assertion/doctrine at face value. Never have. The Bereans were considered more noble because they didn't just hear the word and believe, but instead searched the scriptures diligently to make their own determination.

I agree that anyone who doesn't puts themselves at risk from the wolves in sheep's clothing.

My own conviction, after study & contemplation, is that the following claim the Bible makes about itself has proven itself true.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Heb 4:12)

Peace, My Friend.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Just replied to your last post took me a while to write it all out

of course my post gets erased because i didn't save it before like a tool , I refuse to write it all out again

i protest ats

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

My own conviction, after study & contemplation, is that the following claim the Bible makes about itself has proven itself true.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Heb 4:12)

Peace, My Friend.

Bloody paul...

The soul and the spirit can not be divided...until death...

Seperation from God is an illusion designed by God...

The rest of that is true...

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2
reply to post by Akragon

Just replied to your last post took me a while to write it all out

of course my post gets erased because i didn't save it before like a tool , I refuse to write it all out again

i protest ats

lol... been there done that...

My laptop came very close to flight numerous times...

I frickin hate that

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

. . . my post gets erased because i didn't save it . . .

I had that problem with Internet Explorer but switched to Google Chrome and you do not have that problem and you can just hit the Back button and your post is right there.
So, don't use I.E.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

jmotley
After doing research into the bible I have determined that this is not the work of God, but the work of man being passed off as divine.

Is Today's Bible Authentic?

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The Bible shall soon undergo an 'Addendum', by which a 'New', New Testament will be written.

Jesus (The fisherman/fish of Pisces) will then join Moses and the Golden Calf (Taurus), Abraham and the Ram (Aries) and all the other older writings for the past age.

Every age new writings are added to it.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

jmotley
After doing research into the bible I have determined that this is not the work of God, but the work of man being passed off as divine. I have read so many things in the bible that just my skin crawl. From the rules for slaves, to the treatment of women. I have asked several people about this and I always get some variation of the same 2 answers. This does not pertain anymore or that's the old testiment so it doesn't matter. I'm sorry but how can a book that was supposedly written for the protection of our immortal soul become out of date. Is it simply well we have computers now so we can cross this out, or the government says woman are equal to men so no more sexism. The Bible clearly states its stance on this. It clearly states that the old testiment still stands. So how do you a law abiding citizen and a Christian obey both the bible and the law of man. Women how many of you are willing to bow down and know your place as the bible says. There are many verses that say this. If you want to see the quotes go here. www.enlightenedseeker.wordpress.com I cover some of these verses in detail.

Yes, the Bible does have many references such as slavery laws, wars between nations and tribes, rights of women, and laws of sin that seem to be barbaric and out of place. Please understand, especially the old testament, that the Bible was written in time periods and cultures entirely different from today. The mindset in those times were "less evolved" in some parts and require certain laws to be more extreme so that people would understand. Despite what you may think, but in modern times, we have a more evolved mindset than in those times. The old testament was more similar to the dark ages. The new testament was a bit better, but the religious and spiritual collective minds were still stuck in a more devolved state.

To put time into perspective, the old testament had many periods, dating from thousands of years to even millions of years ago. Yes, it is much older than the churches will tell you. So you see, that kind of time gap, you will have societies where it is a significant difference. Therefore, in modern times, you don't need a lot of the laws present in those times. The new testament is a little over 2 thousand years. However, there are still good spiritual lessons in the Bible that can still benefit the aspirant of the Spiritual Path these days. But you must learn to discern what is God's truth or simply a mistranslation from the various cultures that the Bible went through over the many eras. Learn to listen to that soft voice of God within you. This is your Heart speaking to you. You will understand what is Divine and what came from the Mind of Man.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
As time goes by, our understanding of the times that the New Testament was written increases.
I think that once we can put what is written in perspective, the truths contained will be relevant to our own times.
Things are not that different because we are still dealing with the fundamentally similar human nature as the Apostles were.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join