It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martin Luther King Service In Atlanta Gets Political

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I wondered if we might hear this type of news today. It appears that the Black Clergy and Obama sympathizers couldn't lay off an opportunity to use Martin Luther King, Jr. and his holiday as a platform to preach their rhetoric and politics.

This is the 2nd story I bring you today where Obama organizers have utilized the race card. You can expect a lot more of this in the coming months. It appeared that most of it was directed against Gingrich...

In Atlanta, at Ebenezer Baptist Church — where King preached from 1960 until his death in 1968 — the Rev. Raphael G. Warnock accused GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich of using racial stereotypes to fire up Republican voters. On the campaign trail, Gingrich has referred to Obama as "the food stamp president" and earlier this month, he suggested that African-Americans seek paychecks rather than public assistance. Warnock called Gingrich's comments "sickening and insulting."

So, now all of a sudden Obama and his campaign is likened to the civil rights movement???

"They'd say in one loud voice, go vote in 2012! Vote like you never voted before! And they'd say there's only one person to vote for, and his name is President Barack Obama! Run and don't get weary ... all the way to the polls."

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, an Obama surrogate, also tied the president's re-election campaign to an extension of the civil rights movement. He said it was time to get to work and dream again.

Oh, they're goooood.

Source

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
And your doing a great job of not making political...

(On a side note, why is Obama's fault when one of his supporters says something you don't like?)
edit on 16-1-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
And your doing a great job of not making political...

(On a side note, why is Obama's fault when one of his supporters says something you don't like?)
edit on 16-1-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

I only brought the topic to a discussion board...you know, to discuss?

Besides, I'm not making MLK's holiday about politics. I'm making an article about someone making MLK's holiday about politics, about politics. Do you follow?

Also, I'm not interrupting a public celebration.
edit on 1/16/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Meh...MLK was a political figure, so it stands to reason that a MLK Day event would have some political rhetoric in the mix.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I think the events that have taken place today would have warmed MLK's heart, but also disappointed him greatly. In Tulsa, a fight broke out at the parade/event:

Fight breaks out at MLK parade

I think everyone is really missing the overall point of his message. They're all working to prove who would have his sympathy the most. Taking a quote from his book, I would say he would be disappointed in Obama and his supporters. He was against racism and Obama's supporters have played that card left and right.

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
edit on 16-1-2012 by EagleTalonZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

You make a great point and thank you for the link!

Also, interesting to note, you picked my favorite MLK quote that I happened to post to FB earlier:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ
He was against racism and Obama has played that card left and right.

Left and right, huh? You got any sources? Specific quotes? Please share.

Now, there are some Obama supporters who loosely throw around the race card, but I have yet to hear Obama use it. Prove me wrong.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

While I agree with Rev. Warnock that Newt Gingrich is "sick and insulting." I do not approve of him using the day celebrated in memorial of a man who championed personal liberty and basic human decency as a platform to spout political rhetoric.

Many of these preachers act as though if MLK was still alive, he would vote for Obama.

And you know what...after all the destruction to our freedom which has occurred under Obama's watch. I think MLK would be very vocal in his opposition to Obama
edit on 16-1-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muttley2012
Left and right, huh? You got any sources? Specific quotes? Please share.

Now, there are some Obama supporters who loosely throw around the race card, but I have yet to hear Obama use it. Prove me wrong.

I apologize for citing Obama personally. I edited my post to only include his supporters since they truly are the source for all the madness. The media helps spread the racist card, but I can't find anything with him personally doing it. I can't shake the feeling that he isn't helping issues though. I certainly haven't heard him ask his supporters to stop. If you have anything, please post it.

Thanks for the correction.

top topics

join