It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space-key-unobtanium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hi-all-Just-after-some-advice/help-regarding-the-space-key-on-my-laptop-not-working

I-have-tried-every-other-key/arrow-to-use-as-a-space-but-to-no-avail-hence-the-use-of-a-dash-to-separate-words
I-removed-the-actual-key-cover-and-tried-pressing-the-contact-underneath-but-no-luck-there.
Just-wondering-if-there-is-an-alternate-key-that-can-be-used,arrow-keys-wont-move-cursor-after-a-letter-either
Any-advice-would-be-appreciated.
Thanks---
edit on 16-1-2012 by 12voltz because: of-the-missing-space-key

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
on screen keyboard. You can copy and paste there also if needed.

Under your accessories in your start menu.

Under Ease of Access or for older windows versions, accessability. (where you magnifine glass is)
edit on 16-1-2012 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

LOL! I wondered why you posted using dashes (slightly harder to read, not much though) instead of spaces. Now I know.

Hmm, probably the easiest thing is try to take it apart and clean out the dust. There might be something blocking the spacebar physicall (if it's stuck solid) or there could just be lotsa crap (in my case tobacco, ash) in there. If that fails or you don't feel comfortable taking it apart, you can often pick up a new one for 10-20 dollars. Less if you look at older or 2nd hand models.

Good luck!

ETA Just read you tried pushing the contact. I guess it's either "serious clean" time, or buy a new one. Re-assigning keys might be possible but I have no idea how. On screen keyboard might be easier but you will type slower.
edit on 16/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

ETA2 Just read that it's a laptop. They can also be replaced but will cost more than a regular PC keyboard. It shouldn't be hundreds of dollars though and you should be able to find replacement parts and information on how to install it online if that helps save a few bucks.
edit on 16/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA2

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Use a separate USB keyboard. Replacing the keyboard on a laptop is usually pretty easy though.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

It's usually chalked up to dirty or worn leads under the keys, on the board itself. I found that by taking the keyboard out and apart, then cleaning the leads with alcohol and a QTip usually does the trick. ...But that's only if you KNOW how to take apart a laptop.

Otherwise, get you a cheep ass dell keyboard, you can find them on the side of the road, and plug it into your USB port and enjoy! Works the same, just a lil bulkier.

Youd be amaized at how fast you can type on those onscreen keyboards after about a week! lol

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Thanks=for=all-the=quick=responses-and-helpful-advice-everyone-
I-think-the-winner-is-the-usb-plug-in-keyboard
Pulling-it-apart-for-a-clean,although-an-option-would-probably-result-in-disaster-as-the-dog-and-kids-will-want-to-be-involved-and-i-will-have-to-hide -somewhere-in-the-trees-to-escape-their-good-intentions

Thanks-again

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

LOL Well put.

It's not that hard. You just have to look very closely for the screws and remember where 100 of them go
Be gentle, some are hidden at times. Dont pull on the ribbons, they do have a latch that allows them to come free if you need to remove them for any reason.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Very simple: To simulate SPACE key press "Left ALT key, hold it and type 0160 on the numeric pad, the right side of the keyboard, not the top numericals"

Alt+0160

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by windlass34
reply to post by 12voltz

Very simple: To simulate SPACE key press "Left ALT key, hold it and type 0160 on the numeric pad, the right side of the keyboard, not the top numericals"

Alt+0160

Oh now you goin old school! lol

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
There are also rubber roll-up (USB) keyboards. You can just lay it on top of your existing one. (You'll want to disable the laptop keyboard in the Device Manager.)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
You could have something stuck in the key that prevents it from pressing the little rubber cap from being pressed (under the key). Pop the bar off and check.

People usually have trouble with their CAPS LOCKS KEY! If you know what I mean...

edit on 16-1-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
All sorted Just bought a USB-Keyboard-for-$10-and-it's-black-for-extra-awesomeness- now just have-to-get-out-of-the-habit-of-using-------'s .

edit on 17-1-2012 by 12voltz because: of the tangled wires i now have to deal with

new topics

top topics

join