It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Ever Pretended To Be Someone You're Not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The Internet aside, have you ever pretended to be someone you're not? If so, for what reason? It can be anything, from changing your accent to actual disguises. Share your experiences, ATS

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Every Halloween...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
i thought this was routine for pretty much everyone....

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by survivaloftheslickest

A better question is "Have you ever tried to be yourself?"

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

A better question is "Have you ever tried to be yourself?"

I was me once, but now, totally not.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Every Halloween...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
i regularly pretend to be my dad on the phone to companies since he's had a few strokes and is in a bad state but i never lie, they ask for "mr maxatoria" and they get "mr maxatoria" just not the one they was expecting but thats with my parents permission as it save my mum from dealing with idiots on the phone

best one i remember was there used to be a chinese chippy in Stoke along Campbell road and one night my mate rang up and put on a good aussie voice with a few of us providing background to order enough food to feed their football team of about 40 people, we walked past it about 30 mins later and there was all this food sat on the counter waiting for the mythical aussie footballers
I know it was naughty but pretty much everyone in the area was sure they served up cat and dog so they never used it

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yup many times.

I worked in a bar and I had a guy convinced I was a Russian mail order bride coming to America to live the American Dream. It was hilarious and he believed I was really Russian. I had a short black wig on, Uma Thurman Pulp Fiction style and I had a Russian accent.

I spoke with a Russian accent (helped that I worked with a few Russian chicks who helped) and had my "translator" with me. It was priceless! When I left I went over to him, took my wig off and told him I wasn't Russian. He laughed and said he really thought I was and then told me I should be an actress...I bought him a drink and left.

So yup my Russian alter ego Natasha from Boritsville, Russia. Yes the city was made up lol.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Many years ago, I worked as a waitress at a continental breakfast outlet of a hotel. It was just me and a cashier, and I served coffee juice and sweet rolls.

One day I came to work and just started talking with a heavy southern drawl, I don't know why I did, but I had to keep it all day, lest I be discovered.

I've performed in plays, playing many characters, but now, the challenge is to be real and be myself.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

When I get calls from strangers...I am not at that number...I am someone else.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I know someone who did that. It was pretty convincing for awhile.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I use to order food at drive-thru's using the voices of either Bill Clinton or Bob Dole for a while. It was funny back then.
Actually thinking back, it's still pretty funny, but being a father now, I'm a bit more mature.

A bit.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
As a person with Asperger's, I have to pretend to be somebody else every time I go out in public. I pretend that I am just another neurotypical housewife who loves to chat it up with everybody. I have to watch what I say, I have to go through the motions and the social niceties and play the role, and I have become quite good at it. I also have agoraphobia. Unless you have it, you don't know how hard it is to even leave the house, but medications help.

When I get home, I can relax and be myself. My husband also has Asperger's, so I don't have to pretend with him.

Every time I go out, I look around and wonder how many other people are also pretending. I wish there was some kind of subtle "high sign" we could give each other....

1linereview.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

edit on 16-1-2012 by FissionSurplus because: posted twice for some reason!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The only time I pretend to be someone else is when bill collectors call. I tell them I have no idea who they're talking about and they have the wrong number.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
yes. one word, sex.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Yes. In my single days (ca 1988), my buddy and I crashed a high school reunion at a local night club. He played the star quarterback, I and played the star defensive tackle. We both really were, but just not at that school!

Some of them looked at us funny, but nobody kicked us out so we got free beer and talked to girls!

My friend had a penchant for this type of behavior, and was quite good at it. All I had to do was play along with it.

Another time we (and one other "perp") went to what's called an "ice house" in TX. There was a sorority party going on, but we didn't realize it yet. There was a tapped keg, and a bunch of girls hollering in a back room. So we started getting beer from the keg like "must be men's night out!"

Then the honcho gal came out and started semi-yelling at us like "why are you drinking our beer? who are you?"

Mr. QB just says "easy maa'm, were just here to serve y'all the beer" and he handed her the one he just poured.
She was all taken aback by his coolness and charm, and she said "oh thank you!" We were off to the races.

I know, pics or it didn't happen. But this is the truth: As if in payback. We started talking to three girls and it seemed to be going pretty well. Then I noticed that the blond I was talking to had an adam's apple, and after looking more closely, a little stubble. He started getting noticeably nervous as I peered into his eyes, and I know that he knew that I recognized him from another club as a male.

I looked at the other two "gals" my friends were talking to, and there was no doubt: all trannies!

I grabbed Mr. QB to the side and pointed out the obvious. He grabbed the other tagalong (he was not cooperative as he thought it was his lucky day) and we moved on to another venue.......

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Does pretending to be happy count?

Because I do that. A lot more than I want to admit.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I answered the phone one day and it was obvious that the caller had got a wrong number. Being a bit bored I started chatting and flirting, giving myself a whole new persona.

All was going well until my then housemate started to complain loudly about my behaviour.

Recognising the voice the caller asked 'Is that X---- ?' and I had to confess that, indeed, it was.

The caller laughed like a drain after calling me a 'Nut' and informing me that I was talking to my next door neighbour.
edit on 16-1-2012 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm in sales, I do it EVERY DAY.

It's all child psychology, basically. You want this, dontcha? Can't have it.

new topics

top topics

join