It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously.....Employers now testing Applicants for Nicotine acccording to CNN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Are you kidding me? My boyfriend and I were just watching CNN and the news anchor was interviewing a doctor who was speaking about the supposed new trend hospitals and other employers are starting and that is drug testing applicants for Nicotine. I mean REALLY.

Can I please state that Nicotine is LEGAL if your above age, and My God I think this is ABSURB! With our economy still in the dumps, and people losing their homes, and the unemployment rate still at all time highs, just to think they Employers are going to pass on an applicate that may be very well qualified but might smoke cigs. (WHICH IS THEIR RIGHTS TO DO THAT, IF THEY WISH)(AND NOBODY'S BUSINESS WHAT YOU DO IN YOUR PERSONAL TIME)

THIS IS DISCRIMINATION, and I think this is taking things way to far!

edit on 16-1-2012 by Ops4Ops because: spelling corrections

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
at my work they dont test for smoking but for our insurance we have to have a BMI of below 30 and have to stop smoking or our coverage cost go up. not quite what your referring to but pretty close. it all reflect back to insurance cost anyways. bs

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Im an now, but one outrage away, from declaering a one man war, on everybody...

By december of this year, there will be bloodshed... it is unavoidable!

I feel a deep sense of pitty for the fools who think they can get away with all of this injustice...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
No matter how you view this, it is blatant discrimination.

Im am sure though the company's/corporations will find some loop hole that will excuse them from the discrimination.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ops4Ops

Nicotine is a drug....therefore cigarettes are harmful drugs.

Mind you that anyone who smokes poses others harmful health risks not only through second hand smoke, but also third hand smoke (ie. the smoke gets onto clothing and other fabrics, etc...) which are especially not good for babies as this stuff will soak in through their skin.

I am glad that employers are doing the screening for nicotine. Firstly, consider that most employers offer medical/life insurance benefits. These insurance companies are not willing to support smokers. So for an employer to hire someone they have to take that into consideration.

Moreover, if you are a non-smoker, I am sure you wouldn't like the smell of someone who just got off a smoke break - assuming this was at the office/work place.

Also, even if they didn't smoke and were on the nicotine patch/gum, the drug itself is a stimulant. It would cause anxiety/nervousness/depression without consistent levels of nicotine in the bloodstream. This would pose risk to that individual under highly stressful situations. Although I am not sure if nicotine deprived individuals who have nicotine habits pose real risks to themselves and to the employers, but it would be good research if someone is able to show if the behaviour of nicotine users leads to further bad habits.

Peace.
edit on 16-1-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The hospital here did that, the old employees who smoke, get to stay, but they will not hire any new employees who smoke.

Stupid if you ask me, and so hypocritical. They can smoke, but you can't.

I don't think that's right.

Even with nicotine patches, for those trying to quit smoking are going to be positive. How is that fair to them?
edit on 16-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I heard about this too. Proponents claim that, in hospitals" the entire area is a "no smoking" area, and that there are no places for staff to have a cigarette break. Thus, crucial staff maybe agitated and loose focus during a nicotine craving.

Ridiculous!

Also, they claim that people who are sensitive to the chemicals in cigarettes could be adversely effected by the chemicals being excreted by employees through perspiration or breath.

What about those doctors and lawyers who enjoy a cigar bar? What about those workers using the patch?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ops4Ops

Note: You should change the title of your thread to state "Healthcare Employers"....I was a little mislead by your title.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
My last employer advised me that I should quit and alot of pressure was put on me. They had 2 other employees die suddenly of heart attacks and were smokers. I advised them I had quite but really didn't. I found another job and my new employer has no issues with me smoking. It's not like a smoke alot. Maybe half a pack a day. I mainly smoke when I'm driving or socially. I'm one of those who believes tobacco can be good for you. Too much of anything can be bad for you. I grew up by Phillip Morris off 95 in Richmond, VA as well as Dupont and other chemical plants. I grew up on the James River which has had it's pollution over the years with Keypone, algea, and other pollution. So far so good at 45 I'm in good health except for the ruptured disk in my neck. I played too hard over the years...hehehe

You over weight people better watch out your next. They are already taking your kids away from you if they get too fat.

If the hosptials aren't going to hire smokers they shouldn't hire over weight people either...Fair is Fair. Yeah Right.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If anyone is seriously looking to apply to an employer which has this testing for nicotine in place, please make sure to read this article carefully about what you can do to prepare for that test:

www.homehealthtesting.com...

Nicotine testing is used by insurance companies to test whether the claims made in the application form are correct or not. Therefore nicotine testing is very much a part of the medical screening process that is conducted to finalize the premium that shall be charged. The premium that a non-smoker can expect to pay for a life insurance plan or a health plan is significantly lower than the amount that a smoker will need to pay.

Drug Testing Kit
www.quitsmoking.com...

Inexpensive - $9.95 per kit
Immediate - results in 5 minutes
Highly accurate - equivalent to similar laboratory tests
Completely confidential - performed in your home
Simple to use - much like a home pregnancy test

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
what if you taking nicorette to stop smoking. then you're screwed. try explaining that to the insurance companies.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The company I used to work at has a couple of banners up that proudly proclaim. "A nicotine free workplace!"

They even do urinanalysis for it and if you pee "HOT" you are let go. If you're interviewing for a job, you don't get hired.

I see it as discrimination, but I also see their point of view concerning insurance rates. Which are quite expensive.

Maybe they should hire people who smoke, but tell them that insurance will not cover them with the exception of workplace accidents.

edit on 16-1-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I wished I could reverse madness.
Now this is the US and in a few years some idiots want to be "modern"here to.

Of course I am fully against it, I smoke a lot, 40 to 50 grams of pure tobacco a day.

I have a proposition.
Lets help mother Nature and at the same time get rid of all this constant steam of nonsense.
Lets catch all Lawyers and politicians and put them to good use.
Let us make compost out of them and help some trees.

5 health benefits of smoking cigarettes
edit on 16/1/12 by Pokoia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Only in america lol . And a drug test for a high paying jobs at walmart too what a joke lol . Do doctors get drug tested or politicians , executives or a ceo. Always the bottom feeders get the crap.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
What about people like myself who quit smoking cigs but use a vaporizer with liquid nicotine? Those don't even have second hand smoke, tar or a smell!! And on the days I work a 13 hour shift I may wear a patch because I may not even get a break or lunch during that time....Its ridiculous if you want my opinion....

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
reply to post by Ops4Ops

Mind you that anyone who smokes poses others harmful health risks not only through second hand smoke, but also third hand smoke (ie. the smoke gets onto clothing and other fabrics, etc...) which are especially not good for babies as this stuff will soak in through their skin.

I am glad that employers are doing the screening for nicotine. Firstly, consider that most employers offer medical/life insurance benefits. These insurance companies are not willing to support smokers. So for an employer to hire someone they have to take that into consideration.

Moreover, if you are a non-smoker, I am sure you wouldn't like the smell of someone who just got off a smoke break - assuming this was at the office/work place.

Also, even if they didn't smoke and were on the nicotine patch/gum, the drug itself is a stimulant. It would cause anxiety/nervousness/depression without consistent levels of nicotine in the bloodstream. This would pose risk to that individual under highly stressful situations. Although I am not sure if nicotine deprived individuals who have nicotine habits pose real risks to themselves and to the employers, but it would be good research if someone is able to show if the behaviour of nicotine users leads to further bad habits.

Peace.

Fully agree with you. Let's add some other things that are equally polluting and damaging to peoples health. For example I bicycle to work and all the traffic gives me cancer for sure. It's disgusting as well for my colleges that get the small dust on their clothes when talking to me or just by being in the same office. I cannot imagine how many babies and infants must've died because of the toxins that exhaust pipes put on my clothes.

Another thing that disturbs me is that I myself do not sport aside from some healthy exercising. My colleges however seem to frequently have injuries from what they consider sports such as mountaineering, snowboarding or tennis for example. One guy broke his ankle while jogging, not only he endangers his own life by doing these outdoor activities but even others are at risk. For example while stumbling through the office after he was absent for 2 weeks (TWO WEEKS) he pushed over the coffee lady.

Luckily the guy that broke his ankle was fired cause he always put garlic in his food. Our CEO hates garlic and is now testing new hires for it as a preventive measure. Since the test was a success he added meats and fish to the list. It's been proven that these can be supplemented easily and the CEO only wants healthy people on his staff that care about the environment. It's apparently one of the success factors of the company that is now in the Fortune 500 list top 10.

It's good to see people like yourselves care about others and how they live their lives Skywatcher2011 especially because there are plenty other things we need to be careful of. I mean you and I can understand a jogger or meat eater has no rights to get hired by a pristine company right ?

Just as you hopefully do not own a car and jog.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

I like a lot of your remarks.

Another thing that disturbs me is that I myself do not sport aside from some healthy exercising. My colleges however seem to frequently have injuries from what they consider sports such as mountaineering, snowboarding or tennis for example. One guy broke his ankle while jogging, not only he endangers his own life by doing these outdoor activities but even others are at risk. For example while stumbling through the office after he was absent for 2 weeks (TWO WEEKS) he pushed over the coffee lady.

I can only agree to this, sports are expensive to society.

But I love freedom more, also the freedom to do our own stupid things, without the intention to harm anyone.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

lso, even if they didn't smoke and were on the nicotine patch/gum, the drug itself is a stimulant. It would cause anxiety/nervousness/depression without consistent levels of nicotine

How about tea and coffee they are drugs too... Withdrawal also includes depression. Or alcohol if that was developed today it would be a class a restrcited substance...
The most powerful drugs go unoticed by society in general we as a culture have been addicted to money for thousands of years and are having real problems weaning ourselves off it.
The most powerful drug goes unnoticed.... TV. If peeps are removed from their telly they have similar withdraw. The reason tv is so dangerous is that someone else controls the content...
L

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
reply to post by Ops4Ops

Peace.

Politically correct brainwashing at its finest....vitamin c becomes a dangerous drug after signing a bill too.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I think I like the title of my post just the way it is, but thanks for the suggestion! Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take a smoke break!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join