It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LDS in the work place.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Does anyone out there work with or work for Mormons. Mormons are upstanding people but they protect there own. Anyone have the same are seen this too?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Well, of course. I have seen it with Catholics, with LDS, with Masons, with any group. You tend to give greater credence to those you know and associate with than "outsiders".

As a mason, I go out of my way to find masons to provde services and products for me in my business and in my personal life. There are websites dedicated to masons providing services, and I see nothing wrong with this.

I see all groups doing this... so, what's the big deal?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by theron dunn
As a mason, I go out of my way to find masons to provde services and products for me in my business and in my personal life. There are websites dedicated to masons providing services, and I see nothing wrong with this.

I don't care if someone is a Mormon, a Catholic or a Mason - if they're the best for the job, they get it as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Well, of course. I have seen it with Catholics, with LDS, with Masons, with any group. You tend to give greater credence to those you know and associate with than "outsiders".

I see all groups doing this... so, what's the big deal?

Being Catholic I never got special treatments from other catholics on the job. Anyways I noticed a mormon getting a job during a hiring freeze than getting promoted within a year to a position that didnt exist but was created. Thats what I mean by protecting their own.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky

I don't care if someone is a Mormon, a Catholic or a Mason - if they're the best for the job, they get it as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with you I am not being a bigot but read my other post. I am just curious if others had this observation.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I have done the same in my business before I was a mason, for a man that was in need of a job. I did not need him, but I knew he was a good man, and that in whatever capacity he worked he would be an asset to the organization. I used my discretion, created a job for him, placed him in the position, and he did not disappoint me.

In fact, when I took a promotion and moved on, he was promoted into my job. Sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar.

And while I understand what you mean about the best person getting the job, I still feel I will give a brother the first shot at the job. If he does a bad job, he loses the opportunity, but all things being equal, I will give a brother first chance.

Oh, and if you want to talk about Catholic favoritism in the workplace, shall we discuss the priests who molested children FOR YEARS and were simply moved around to other parishes by their "bosses" and who, like Cardinal Mahoney, did NOTHING to stop them or warn the new parishes? Or worse, moved rapists out of the country to avoid prosecution???

No, Jeff, I have SEEN corruption in the RCC, and on a scale so large and pervasive it is mind numbing in a group ostensibly assembled to give glory to g-d...

[edit on 13/9/04 by theron dunn]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
theron,

if there was an opening position in your workplace and you recieve two candidates for the job; one who is qualified but not a mason, and a mason who is less qualified.... who gets hired?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   

And while I understand what you mean about the best person getting the job, I still feel I will give a brother the first shot at the job. If he does a bad job, he loses the opportunity, but all things being equal, I will give a brother first chance.

Honesty- I like that

To "the question at the bar"
if it is government, state or federal (includes county, etc.) this is illegal,
if the company has 25 or more employees the same

Otherwise SOL go on to another place. If it happens once it probably will happen again.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I have done the same in my business before I was a mason, for a man that was in need of a job. I did not need him, but I knew he was a good man, and that in whatever capacity he worked he would be an asset to the organization. I used my discretion, created a job for him, placed him in the position, and he did not disappoint me.

In fact, when I took a promotion and moved on, he was promoted into my job. Sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar.

Oh, and if you want to talk about Catholic favoritism in the workplace, shall we discuss the priests who molested children FOR YEARS and were simply moved around to other parishes by their "bosses" and who, like Cardinal Mahoney, did NOTHING to stop them or warn the new parishes? Or worse, moved rapists out of the country to avoid prosecution???

No, Jeff, I have SEEN corruption in the RCC, and on a scale so large and pervasive it is mind numbing in a group ostensibly assembled to give glory to g-d...

[edit on 13/9/04 by theron dunn]

Well I understand what you are saying about helping another fraternal brother. I would probably do the same thing but I would still have to follow company policy. Hiring during a hiring freeze isn�t right. Especially when there are no raises to anyone. As for the Catholic priest, I think what these priest did his intolerable. I am glad they are getting ex-communed. This problem is everywhere not just in the Catholic church. Go to www.reformation.com to see what I am talking about. I knew one of these people who was arrested and never knew what he did. Now I can start another thread on this and we can discuss it further if you want, this thread was discussing the LDS.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
hi - i've worked for mormons my whole life, being raised as a mormon. i left the religion a few years ago but probably answer most of your questions about the religion. my family history goes back to its founding.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by pbrez
Well I understand what you are saying about helping another fraternal brother. I would probably do the same thing but I would still have to follow company policy. Hiring during a hiring freeze isn�t right. Especially when there are no raises to anyone. As for the Catholic priest, I think what these priest did his intolerable. I am glad they are getting ex-communed. This problem is everywhere not just in the Catholic church. Go to www.reformation.com to see what I am talking about. I knew one of these people who was arrested and never knew what he did. Now I can start another thread on this and we can discuss it further if you want, this thread was discussing the LDS.

Well, it was not my intention to tar the RCC, but to point out that it happens in other places.

As for favoritism, it happens. Lost asked if there were two candidates and one was a mason who was less qualified than the other candidate, would I hire the mason over the non mason... the honest answer is probably yes, I would hire him over the non mason, and if a brother was in need, and I could, I would create a job for him.

That is, after all, what anyone would do for a friend, right? I mean, are you going to tell me that if you were hiring, and a friend applied for the job, you would not hire the friend over a stranger? Or, further, if you had a friend that needed a job and you could help him that you WOULDN'T?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I am associated in a business with a mormon couple. We share a system of values. I respect their faith and devotion and we are too busy to discuss dogma.

My faith is dogma free and most dogma is beyond empiricism, so I am not in a position to dispute any dogma held by anyone. If you tell me that God wears a plaid suit and plays a saxophone on Bourbon Street, who am I to argue with you? I don't believe that to be true, but I can't really argue with the idea, since God can do whatever he chooses.

I have heard a lot of stories about bigotted Mormons. I have heard the same thing about Catholics. I have never seen a correlation between bigotry and any system of faith. Bigotry is a human trait devoid of any other necessary conditions.

[edit on 04/9/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I am associated in a business with a mormon couple. We share a system of values. I respect their faith and devotion and we are too busy to discuss dogma.

My faith is dogma free and most dogma is beyond empiricism, so I am not in a position to dispute any dogma held by anyone. If you tell me that God wears a plaid suit and plays a saxophone on Bourbon Street, who am I to argue with you. I don't believe that to be true, but I can't really argue with the idea, since God can do whatever he chooses.

I have heard a lot of stories about bigotted Mormons. I have heard the same thing about Catholics. I have never seen a correlation between bigotry and any system of faith. Bigotry is a human trait devoid of any other necessary conditions.

[edit on 04/9/13 by GradyPhilpott]

LOUD APPLAUSE!!!

And thank you for serving!

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Other faiths just dont seem to liek mormons. They say they arent christians but i firmly disagree.

I was mormon for 4 years. They are generally good people and kind hearted.

As with every religion, there are always a few apples that spoil the barrel but thats just life.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I am not bashing mormons, I have a respect for them but this is the second time I noticed this in the work place. Now to answer the question about helping a friend, brother knight, what have you get a job the answer is of course. But first understand that you might be in this situation; the company is troubled, there are job cuts, pay cuts, no raises for years and a hiring freeze. It would be unfair to exisiting employees to bring in an outsider, pay him well in this time of crisis.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Well, of course... that is why I caveated my answer with "if I were in a position to do so..."

I have owned my own businesses and worked for others in management capacities. I lost a job once because I gave a friend a job, and he ended up totally messing it up... so I know whereof I speak.

Up and down.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
theron, you said:

"That is, after all, what anyone would do for a friend, right? I mean, are you going to tell me that if you were hiring, and a friend applied for the job, you would not hire the friend over a stranger? Or, further, if you had a friend that needed a job and you could help him that you WOULDN'T?"

FRIEND? you are willing to trust masonry alone? i am trailing off topic, i know, but wow. i admit, i would probably hire a less qualified friend over a qualified stranger, but masonry spreads far and wide. are all masons your friends? the same goes for mormons, just because they are a 'member' does that mean you're automatically friends?

my philosophy is "each man an individual" i dont care who you're associated with, if i dont know you, i dont know you. otherwise you're asking to be taken advantage of.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Perhaps Theron would hire a mason over someone that was otherwise more qualified because he feels he can trust the mason. I'm sure most of us that aren't masons would do the same thing with friends or others we trusted. You really can't judge the value of an employee just by interviewing him, you have to get to know him and his work. An applicant's membership in masonry is something that would be looked on as favorable to another mason, since they probably share some of the same values. Anyways, just my interpretation here.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonestownRed
Perhaps Theron would hire a mason over someone that was otherwise more qualified because he feels he can trust the mason. I'm sure most of us that aren't masons would do the same thing with friends or others we trusted. You really can't judge the value of an employee just by interviewing him, you have to get to know him and his work. An applicant's membership in masonry is something that would be looked on as favorable to another mason, since they probably share some of the same values. Anyways, just my interpretation here.

I cannot defend masons on this since I am not a mason but i can give an example of what I have done for another knight. Another place I worked at, there was a postion opened and a brother knight who was un employed and was quilified for the job. He interviewed and I was even part of the interview process but he wasnt the best candidate so he didnt get the job. I even voted for the other candidate because he had a better background for the position.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost
theron, you said:

"That is, after all, what anyone would do for a friend, right? I mean, are you going to tell me that if you were hiring, and a friend applied for the job, you would not hire the friend over a stranger? Or, further, if you had a friend that needed a job and you could help him that you WOULDN'T?"

FRIEND? you are willing to trust masonry alone?

YES!

i am trailing off topic, i know, but wow. i admit, i would probably hire a less qualified friend over a qualified stranger, but masonry spreads far and wide. are all masons your friends?

YES!!

the same goes for mormons, just because they are a 'member' does that mean you're automatically friends?

Can't speak for Mormons.

my philosophy is "each man an individual" i dont care who you're associated with, if i dont know you, i dont know you. otherwise you're asking to be taken advantage of.

that's a sad way to live. I treat every man as an individual, but I give the brother mason the benefit of trust, because he is a better man, a cut above, and has been investigated by his lodge and recommended by a brother mason, before being made a mason.

I have NEVER had a mason disappoint me yet, so experience tells me I can trust a mason on sight. Further, I have a sworn obligation to aid and assist... and even further, I have a god commanded obligation to aid and assist...

<<   2 >>

join