It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors Unsure Why Thyroid Cancer Cases on Rise

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

In this case? Yes.

For semen to touch the thyroid it would have to pass through several layers of cartilage, skin, and smooth muscle. Through several very closed systems for the semen to get even close to the thyroid.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

and what is the "cure" for thyroid cancer????...RADIATION.....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
lots of people are immune-compromised from the GMO, the crap they eat, the tv they watch which affects their vibration

many have metabolic problems in the world now...due to sugar/carbs..and are insulin resistant...and low and behold: thyroid is involved in this production of hormones: en.wikipedia.org...

also, lots of people don't get IODINE anymore because many salt companies take it OUT now!!!! iodine is used to help protect against nuke radiation exposure right?

most people are clueless about vitamin d to this day as well

this Fukishima stuff is just the icing on the cake ....IMO

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

That was my exact first thought too. What a crying shame

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

As I stated in another post, to the same question, we do not know, or are we given, the rates of increase over the past year.

The 6.5% increase in the article does NOT state when the rapid increase began to occur.

The prevalence of the cancer could have been increasing at a rate of 1% a year or 5% over just the past year.

Well here, let me just put your thread to rest then.

The article you posted in the OP was old information recently rehashed by USA Today. That information was new, back in 2009 when it was covered previously, the data being collected from '97 to '06.

In fact, according to new data from the National Cancer Institute (NCI), thyroid cancer diagnoses have increased at a rate of 6.5 percent a year from 1997 to 2006.

Source

So yes, we do know it has nothing to do with last year.
edit on 16-1-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Very good find. Star to you, my friend.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The USA today article from which I based my post was in fact written in 2009. Shame on me for not following through on this little tid bit.

I apologize to everyone for jumping to conclusions, based on the original post.

However, I will follow with due diligence and investigate what the latest trends are, based on information available to date. It is frustrating to have only a subset of date that is nearly 4-5 years old, and NIH and CDC are poor at giving to the public more up to date statistics.

However, I still remain firm on my original hypothesis, given I don't believe what the US government stated originally regarding the safety of the USA citizens, nor do I believe how the Japanese government played down the threat.

Kudos to those who called me out on this. Good job.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
if doctors and scientists are unsure what causes thyroid cancer they should Google it

I did and I found out out it's Fluoride and Aspartame.

edit on 1/16/2012 by MrsBlonde because: spelling

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Star for you.

If you are looking to find a link for increased thyroid cancers in proximity to nuclear incidents, I suggest looking into a number of disasters to date.

Three Mile

Chernobyl

Saint-Laurent

Tokaimura

Kyshtym

I suppose the idea would be to look at the consequences of people directly impacted by these disasters, taking into account the aftermath (which should have a lot of data available) and then look at how this could have an impact on the general population (if that data isn't already available.

Of course you would also have to rule out all other causes for the spike in cancers. Which is a near impossible task, and I assume why the doctors are stumped.

In any regard, there are very few nuclear incidents which weren't localized. That being said, Chernobyl and Fukushima are a rare breed which have touched the entire globe.
edit on 16-1-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Dont forget Chernoble thats still spreading as well.Isnt their something in "Revalations" that says something about a star called wormwood?..Chernoble means wormwood.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by anonentity
Chernoble means wormwood.

No it doesn't.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I have a feeling it has alot to do with the mass amount of amphetamine RX's written to all he baby boomers...
When you coninuallyintroduce a chemical the body creates naturally"adrenalin..I believe is thyroid ..produced,, the body stops making it, much like initial "not eating....does not = weight loss...body goes into conservation of calorie mode...
But what do I know I dropped outa med school....
edit on 16-1-2012 by Doc Holiday because: OCD and blank box again

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

In Ukranian, Chernoble does mean Wormwood.

And wormwood the plant, causes hallucinations, as in Absinthe the alcoholic drink. So it may not be nuclear radiation, it could actually be the earth's magnetic field being so charged up, that charges up the pineal gland, thereby causing hallucinations.

peace

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
if doctors and scientists are unsure what causes thyroid cancer they should Google it

I did and I found out out it's Fluoride and Aspartame.

edit on 1/16/2012 by MrsBlonde because: spelling

Hilarious but sad

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AriesJedi
reply to post by boncho

In Ukranian, Chernoble does mean Wormwood.

And wormwood the plant, causes hallucinations, as in Absinthe the alcoholic drink. So it may not be nuclear radiation, it could actually be the earth's magnetic field being so charged up, that charges up the pineal gland, thereby causing hallucinations.

peace

No. It doesn't.

The reason that the confusion arose is that mugwort is related to wormwood. They are both members of the genus artimisia, but they are not the same species. Mugwort is artemisia vulgaris and wormwood is artemisia absinthium. Apparently a Russian author speaking to the New York Times wasn’t familiar enough with the words for various plants in English and got the two confused, starting the rumor.

The Ukrainian names for these plants are as follows:

The name chernobyl (Чорнобиль, chornobyl) corresponds to mugwort.

It is also called Полин звичайний (pronounced polyn zvychajnyj), which means "common polyn" or "common artemis"–Полин (polyn) being the name for artemis.

The term for wormwood is not chernobyl. Its technical name in Ukrainian is Полин гіркий (pronounced polyn hirkyj), which means "bitter polyn" or "bitter artemis." If I understand matters correctly, the name is usually just shortened to Полин (polyn), however.

Source

This has already been debunked aplenty. Please try again.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday

I have a feeling it has alot to do with the mass amount of amphetamine RX's written to all he baby boomers...
When you coninuallyintroduce a chemical the body creates naturally"adrenalin..I believe is thyroid ..produced,, the body stops making it, much like initial "not eating....does not = weight loss...body goes into conservation of calorie mode...
But what do I know I dropped outa med school....
edit on 16-1-2012 by Doc Holiday because: OCD and blank box again

No, unfortunately, adrenalin is produced by the Adrenal glands that sit atop the kidneys.

Though, its a good suggestion.

I think that there is a definite link to technology - microwaves, cellular microwaves, radiation from electricity and anything that uses electricity.

If there is one thing for sure, cancer has spiked over the last 75 years, so we have technology.

And then, one could look at petro products. How long ago did gas stations first begin posting the hazards of gasoline? I believe it was in the 80's, and even then, there was no mandate at the time to make such a posting.

We could also look at things like nitrates in red meat, and all of the chemicals that go into raising cattle, sheep, and pigs.

Pesticides that didn't exist 100 years ago in farming. Orkin and Terminex distributing bug killing compounds in our homes.

THen, all of the modified organic methods of farming. Apples, for example, have lost hundreds of different varieties over the last 50 years in the USA just because of hybridization. Fruits that we may never see again. Corn that it genetically altered. None of these things can be natural and good for the body for the sake of making money and increasing yields.

We could also look at the use of natural gas to heat our homes.

Its obvious that something, we as humans have been using over the past 75 years is causing cancer to be so prevalent, no?

But on the flip side, when you consider human death, you would have to give great consideration to bacteria and viruses which, do not kill in the same patterns as they did in the 17, 18, and 1900' until modern medicine stepped in. How many global pandemics have we seen in the past 100 years, versus, the 500 years prior to the turn of the 20th century?

Food for thought.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

google the following "cat thyroid cancer carpeting". See the articles that turn up in the search results like this good one articles.latimes.com... I'm a cat owner and by accident when I was looking up information about something unrelated I saw a link to an article (not the one I just posted) about the rise in thyroid cancers in cats. I once had a cat with thyroid cancer and clicked on the link and was appalled at what I read. I did indeed have three new carpets installed in three different houses while I owned that cat. My father had thyroid cancer that was successfully treated. I know a ridiculous amount of people, mostly women, who have thyroid diseases. It does almost seem to be an epidemic.

At any rate I don't think it is any one cause but an accumulation of factors in our modern chemically drenched and radiated existence.
edit on 16-1-2012 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Added helpful link

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
It says that rate has been increasing alarmingly over a number of years (a decade infact). So that should rule out the Fukishima disaster as the catalyst. Maybe we should be investigating the affect of modern technology?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Sorry everyone, it was late and I was tired when I made my post, I should have at least described what the link was talking about. It was talking about a parallel rise in thyroid cancer in housecats in the USA, which notably started in California. The rise is suspected to be caused by certain classes of flame retarding chemicals that are found in carpets, upholstery, and consumer electronics. The dust from these items is inhaled or ingested and causes thryoid disruption and eventually, cancer. The "epidemic" first appeared in California due to that state having the most stringent standard for flame resistance in consumer articles. These chemicals are also accumulating in the environment at an alarming rate and end up in the food chain in fish, and cats who consume canned cat food containing fish were found to have the most elevated risk. There is some concern on the part of researchers that these results somehow link to human risk, as well.

These results may explain why so many of the women I know have some form of thyroid dysfunction. They are all the ones who do most of the housework and vacuuming in their families. Vacuuming kicks up dust and we women end up exposed to a lot of it as we clean. Of course there are other factors to consider like the effects of pregnancy on the endocrine system. But it is an interesting theory to consider.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Yes, please check the link I provided for how the flame retardants are found in consumer electronics, particularly computers and find their way into household environments as dust.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by boncho

People in Western nations are not consuming enough normal iodine. This is not conventional wisdom, and I'm sure that I'd be argued with.

The ethnicities of the people with the increases is indicative, if in caucasians an anathema subject if you can even track down their ethnic ancestry. However, the same applies to non-Caucasians, such as Island or costal Asians.

The people getting it are people whose ancestors lived on a high seafood diet. They aren't getting enough iodine in their diets.

With their need for increase iodine, and their bodies chronic lack of it, combined with the nuclear disaster in Japan I would suspect you'll find that this gets worse. Body's are not "flooded" with regular iodine the way they are supposed to be.
edit on 2012/1/16 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the sea salt trend. It isn't iodized, but it's a culinary craze that started about 8 or 9 years ago. I try to buy the old-fashioned salt, or iodized sea salt. Great "food for thought" Aeons!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join