It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors Unsure Why Thyroid Cancer Cases on Rise

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Here is a WHO Report on increased cancer risk from people that were directly impacted by the Chernobyl disaster.

Of course, as you will see, there a large number of people still living in a place that they probably shouldn't be:

Currently about five million people live in areas of Belarus, the Russian Federation and Ukraine with levels of radioactive caesium deposition more than 37 kBq/m2 1 . Among them, about 270 000 people continue to live in areas classified by Soviet authorities as strictly controlled zones (SCZs), where radioactive caesium contamination exceeds 555 kBq/m2.

And even with the large doses that were taken in by people during Chernobyl, the increase in cancer was actually not as high as you might think.

The Expert Group concluded that there may be up to 4 000 additional cancer deaths among the three highest exposed groups over their lifetime (240 000 liquidators; 116 000 evacuees and the 270 000 residents of the SCZs). Since more than 120 000 people in these three groups may eventually die of cancer, the additional cancer deaths from radiation exposure correspond to 3-4% above the normal incidence of cancers from all causes.

edit on 16-1-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by stinavamp
I am surprised no one has brought up hpv. A form of hpv causes cervical cancer. I do not see why it would not cause cancer in the throat considering that oral sex among teeanagers and adults is on the rise. And how many people do you know that use a condom while performing oral sex?

I believe that there is no direct contact between an infected person's genitals and the thyroid, unlike in the case of anal or cervical cancer.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The stats are covering population in Ukraine, workers etc...

My meaning was more theory than facts. Like some undiscovered / not know effects of Tchernobyl.

Tchernobyl was the first lvl 7 nuclear disaster, maybe they miss something at the time about the dispersion of the contaminants or they success in their coverop...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

And this is why I hate most of the threads on ATS.

I'm glad that the OP here with his medical degree and years of research can without providing any evidence show why there is an increase in thyroid cancer. This is just science purely at it's best. No hypothesis, no experiment, just un-educated conclusions. God speed, OP. Show the world how it's really done. Just paranoid assumptions.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by stinavamp

In terms of anatomy..

The thyroid is no where near the throat for this to be a realistic conclusion. If semen is coming anywhere near the thyroid during oral sex, those people are doing it very very very wrong.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Well, we don't know specifically if that data of 6.5% increase represents data that has caused that number to rise over the last year or the last 10 years. The article is not specific.

Actually, it says,

National Cancer Institute statistics suggest that in recent years the number of cases of this often curable cancer has increased by about 6.5%.

"In recent years", suggesting more than 1.

Also, it says:

Obesity, radiation exposure and diets low in fruits and vegetables are three potential culprits, Huntley says. People who are overweight have a 20% increase in thyroid cancer; those who are obese have a 53% increase.

Care to check the obesity rates against the rising thyroid cancer rates?

As I stated in another post, to the same question, we do not know, or are we given, the rates of increase over the past year.

The 6.5% increase in the article does NOT state when the rapid increase began to occur. The prevalence of the cancer could have been increasing at a rate of 1% a year or 5% over just the past year.

My OP was two fold: 1- to show that someone is now talking about the incidence of cancer in the thyroid increasing and, 2 - in light of the disaster a year ago, the subject is now in the news for the first time I can remember.

So you are correct.

But we could argue about other things, like the alarming rate of diabetes increase compared to the addition of flouride to the water system, or, as you mention, Obesity versus cancer. I agree.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Theres strong indications that Bisphenol A affects the Thyroid function, if you dont know about this toxic plastic you should read the thread.

BPA may also interfere with thyroid hormone, which is important for development of the brain and nervous system. Source

EDIT: Uhmm I might have mixed up Thyroid Cancer with Thyroid disorder. BPA builds up and acts as cancer in diffrent parts of the body and it also affect the Thyroid functions..

This will cause hypothyroidism, not only with people with under-functioning thyroids but also for those who are currently taking medications for hypothyroidism or even those who have normally functioning thyroids. BPA was found to accumulate in many organs when injected into rats including the lung, kidneys, thyroid, stomach, heart, spleen, testes, liver, and brain. Source 2

edit on 16-1-2012 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

And this is why I hate most of the threads on ATS.

I'm glad that the OP here with his medical degree and years of research can without providing any evidence show why there is an increase in thyroid cancer. This is just science purely at it's best. No hypothesis, no experiment, just un-educated conclusions. God speed, OP. Show the world how it's really done. Just paranoid assumptions.

Well, your sarcasm is in fact surely welcome, I do, however, have a degree in medicine, and have been in practice for 20+ years, where I have in fact, done research of my own.

I am in the process of publishing a paper on the correlation between Fluoride in the water system and the onset of Diabetes in the American population. Look for it soon, at a store near you

And, due to Anonymity issues, I simply can not point to other papers that I have written, unfortunately.

Don't assume I am some sort of idiot.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mimir

Theres strong indications that Bisphenol A affects the Thyroid function, if you dont know about this toxic plastic you should read the thread.

BPA may also interfere with thyroid hormone, which is important for development of the brain and nervous system. Source

Very familiar with it. And yes, with the increase in use of BA, one would also expect to see a rise in cancer cases.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

In terms of anatomy..

The thyroid is no where near the throat for this to be a realistic conclusion. If semen is coming anywhere near the thyroid during oral sex, those people are doing it very very very wrong.

Is that a typo? The Thyroid is no where near the throat?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

In terms of anatomy..

..."For this to be a realistic conclusion..."

Don't cherry pick the person's words from their sentences. In other words, I imagine they are saying that the trachea is in the way....

Specifically referring to transmission of HPV from something entering the throat, and passing it to the thyroid.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

In terms of anatomy..

..."For this to be a realistic conclusion..."

Don't cherry pick the person's words from their sentences. In other words, I imagine they are saying that the trachea is in the way....

Specifically referring to transmission of HPV from something entering the throat, and passing it to the thyroid.

Not sure if we are on the same page, and I hate to continue to go off topic, but, HPV can be spread by any means where a mucous membrane, and in this case, the mouth, vagina, rectum, are involved.

Why it would target the Thyroid, however, is up for discussion.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This increase is a result of a 10 year study. Some are equating the uptick to the Fukushima-Daichi disaster, but that happened just last year. That should rule out Fukushima at this present time. The cases directly involved with Fukushima should just be starting now and after the nuclear incident. Perhaps in another 10 years time we will see an increase in cases like Thyroid and other cancers, but it is a little early to be cropping Fukushima into this study. The data is still being accumulated and the disaster is ongoing by my recollection.

These increases are a result of something else? Since people like to speculate. Here is my speculation. Some of these increases could be a result of an increase in x-rays at doctors appointments and in airports, carcinogens found in food and water, unreported leaks from nuclear power plants and disposal sights, or something else. Some have pointed out Chernobyl as being a cause as well. That seems likely as a result of the massive amounts of radiation emitted from that disaster. It is just too early to make any conclusions. Just my take on it, and I do believe Fukushima-Daichi is a sore spot that will be with us for generations.
edit on 16-1-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

As I stated in another post, to the same question, we do not know, or are we given, the rates of increase over the past year.

The 6.5% increase in the article does NOT state when the rapid increase began to occur.

The prevalence of the cancer could have been increasing at a rate of 1% a year or 5% over just the past year.

Well here, let me just put your thread to rest then.

The article you posted in the OP was old information recently rehashed by USA Today. That information was new, back in 2009 when it was covered previously, the data being collected from '97 to '06.

In fact, according to new data from the National Cancer Institute (NCI), thyroid cancer diagnoses have increased at a rate of 6.5 percent a year from 1997 to 2006.

Source

So yes, we do know it has nothing to do with last year.
edit on 16-1-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I have the answer for you: Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster

National Cancer Institute statistics suggest that in recent years the number of cases of this often curable cancer has increased by about 6.5%. Over a decade, that has added up to make thyroid cancer the fastest-increasing cancer, says Tod Huntley, an otolaryngologist and head and neck surgeon with the Center for Ear, Nose, Throat and Allergy in Indianapolis.

SOURCE

Is it any wonder? The cloud of radiation from this disaster has spread over the entire globe. One of the first organs to be effected by radiation exposure is the Thyroid, which sucks up the radiation like a sponge. Hence, the use for Iodine tablets to prevent the uptake.

I believe we have seen just the beginning of the problem left behind by the disaster.

Anyone want to offer a rebuttal?

The Fukushima disaster doesn't explain the increased number of thyroid cancer over the past decade worldwide. This post suggests that the disaster in Japan is responsible for a 6.5% increase in thyroid cancer. It is inflammatory and overzealous to say the least. You're confusing two different topics. One doesn't relate to the other.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I just posted the same thoughts as well. Something that just happened in Japan doesn't explain a decade's worth of statistics. The thread is put together poorly. The post is inflammatory to say the least.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
the increase in thyroid cancer would be caused from the severe amount of Iodine-131 from the Fukishima reactions.

Iodine-131 causes thyroid cancer when inhaled through the throat.

Link
edit on 16/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

its amazingly sad and frightening how stupid our doctors are

its right there in black and white. doctors and researchers who are brainwashed and programmed by the elites and media

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

I have the answer for you: Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster

National Cancer Institute statistics suggest that in recent years the number of cases of this often curable cancer has increased by about 6.5%. Over a decade, that has added up to make thyroid cancer the fastest-increasing cancer, says Tod Huntley, an otolaryngologist and head and neck surgeon with the Center for Ear, Nose, Throat and Allergy in Indianapolis.

SOURCE

Is it any wonder? The cloud of radiation from this disaster has spread over the entire globe. One of the first organs to be effected by radiation exposure is the Thyroid, which sucks up the radiation like a sponge. Hence, the use for Iodine tablets to prevent the uptake.

I believe we have seen just the beginning of the problem left behind by the disaster.

Anyone want to offer a rebuttal?

The Fukushima disaster doesn't explain the increased number of thyroid cancer over the past decade worldwide. This post suggests that the disaster in Japan is responsible for a 6.5% increase in thyroid cancer. It is inflammatory and overzealous to say the least. You're confusing two different topics. One doesn't relate to the other.

you are assuming that was the only nuke plant leaking....

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

Ok...prove others were leaking. You have to back up that data. In addition, the OP addresses Japan, not other reactors.

edit on 16-1-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The majority of thyroid cases are not just a "bad" thyroid gland. They are a side effect of an autoimmune disease (as in my case ) called Hashimotos. The immune system mistakes the thyroid gland for an illness and attempts to destroy it. I had Rhogam shots during my first pregnancy and was pregnant again two months after giving birth to my first child... This is when I started to have unexplained medical issues and my endo thinks the autoimmune is related to the shots and or the rh+ / rh- pregnancy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join