It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors Unsure Why Thyroid Cancer Cases on Rise

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I have the answer for you: Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster

National Cancer Institute statistics suggest that in recent years the number of cases of this often curable cancer has increased by about 6.5%. Over a decade, that has added up to make thyroid cancer the fastest-increasing cancer, says Tod Huntley, an otolaryngologist and head and neck surgeon with the Center for Ear, Nose, Throat and Allergy in Indianapolis.

SOURCE

Is it any wonder? The cloud of radiation from this disaster has spread over the entire globe. One of the first organs to be effected by radiation exposure is the Thyroid, which sucks up the radiation like a sponge. Hence, the use for Iodine tablets to prevent the uptake.

I believe we have seen just the beginning of the problem left behind by the disaster.

Anyone want to offer a rebuttal?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

@I have the answer for you: Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster

I agree 100% its sad many dont worry till they experience the ills and by then they may have forgotten what happened..

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

They don't know why???

Come on, they DO know why,they're just not admitting its GMO foods, Flouride, Carcenogenic emmisions from factories), then mix in old radiation coming from Fukushima and there you have it!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
www.uclahealth.org...

Thyroid Cancer on the Rise but Most Types Very Curable
The American Cancer Society estimated that more than 25,000 new cases of thyroid cancer would be diagnosed in the United States in 2005

Not new data.
How many new cases since March 2011?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

They don't know why???

Come on, they DO know why,they're just not admitting its GMO foods, Flouride, Carcenogenic emmisions from factories), then mix in old radiation coming from Fukushima and there you have it!

Its a terrible cover up. For the US President himself to state that we are "in no danger" is a crock of crap.

No matter what, that radiation cloud hit the USA. And, it hit the the largest population centers.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Over a decade, that has added up to make thyroid cancer the fastest-increasing cancer

Fukushima happened ten years ago did it?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
www.uclahealth.org...

Thyroid Cancer on the Rise but Most Types Very Curable
The American Cancer Society estimated that more than 25,000 new cases of thyroid cancer would be diagnosed in the United States in 2005

Not new data.
How many new cases since March 2011?

Well, that is the interesting question.

The onset of any type of cancer obviously does take several months in most cases. The big question is to whether we are going to be told the truth or not. Frankly, I don't trust what the Government has its hands on.

The next 6 months will be VERY telling.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Over a decade, that has added up to make thyroid cancer the fastest-increasing cancer

Fukushima happened ten years ago did it?

Well, we don't know specifically if that data of 6.5% increase represents data that has caused that number to rise over the last year or the last 10 years. The article is not specific.

What we need it see is the chart showing the incidence of Thyroid cancer of the past year, compared to the last 10 years. That would either show a spike, or a slow curve.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

You posted a thread about an increase in thyroid cancer rates. You then said the answer to the cause is the Fukushima Nuclear disaster.

However, the data originally laid out in your OP is decades old. Clearly making your assumption baseless.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Well, we don't know specifically if that data of 6.5% increase represents data that has caused that number to rise over the last year or the last 10 years. The article is not specific.

Actually, it says,

National Cancer Institute statistics suggest that in recent years the number of cases of this often curable cancer has increased by about 6.5%.

"In recent years", suggesting more than 1.

Also, it says:

Obesity, radiation exposure and diets low in fruits and vegetables are three potential culprits, Huntley says. People who are overweight have a 20% increase in thyroid cancer; those who are obese have a 53% increase.

Care to check the obesity rates against the rising thyroid cancer rates?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Jackasses. Just admit it already.

Why is the truth so difficult to say?

The world is poisoned by greed.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The use of more radioactive and also micro wave technologies may have some bearing as well....This predates the fukishima snafu......
The holes in the ozone may also have a bearing on radiation absorption of southern climes??

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
the increase in thyroid cancer would be caused from the severe amount of Iodine-131 from the Fukishima reactions.

Iodine-131 causes thyroid cancer when inhaled through the throat.

Link
edit on 16/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
the increase in thyroid cancer would be caused from the severe amount of Iodine-131 from the Fukishima reactions.

Link

Except that these statistics are from before the Japanese nuclear disaster.

-facepalm-

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Over the last 10 years or so for the rise?

hmmm...how long have the nude body scanners been in use?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

People in Western nations are not consuming enough normal iodine. This is not conventional wisdom, and I'm sure that I'd be argued with.

The ethnicities of the people with the increases is indicative, if in caucasians an anathema subject if you can even track down their ethnic ancestry. However, the same applies to non-Caucasians, such as Island or costal Asians.

The people getting it are people whose ancestors lived on a high seafood diet. They aren't getting enough iodine in their diets.

With their need for increase iodine, and their bodies chronic lack of it, combined with the nuclear disaster in Japan I would suspect you'll find that this gets worse. Body's are not "flooded" with regular iodine the way they are supposed to be.
edit on 2012/1/16 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by AzureSky

Link

Except that these statistics are from before the Japanese nuclear disaster.

-facepalm-

Thats irrelevant. How many nuclear reactors are there close to where these statistics are being done?
How much fallout from other meltdowns is still around in the air?
How many of them smoke?

It could be a lot of things. We wont see the spike in cancer from fukishima for another 15 years or more over here (sooner over there).

Iodine-131 is -everywhere-.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

So the synopsis of this thread is:

"We don't trust the establishment and their statistics/conclusions so will make up our own."

Great.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

According to your sources Tchernobyl ( April 26 1986 ) is a more probable cause than Fukushima ( March 11 2011 )

I think next year or so we will start to see the full effects of Fukushima.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I am surprised no one has brought up hpv. A form of hpv causes cervical cancer. I do not see why it would not cause cancer in the throat considering that oral sex among teeanagers and adults is on the rise. And how many people do you know that use a condom while performing oral sex?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join