It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop beats 66 year old man with dementia for no reason

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu
My view is, there are police officers

and then there are cops

My view is that they are all pigs. Or we would be hearing about more cops being at least reprimanded.

Until then, I have zero respect for anything that walks around in a uniform and collects tickets for the state.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
My father (70, white, and about 350lbs), suffering from a combination of bi-polar disorder and early stages of Alzheimer's, brought an antique revolver to a stranger's house, thinking he was going to show it to his "friend who lived there". He was clearly out of his mind at the time.
The homeowners called the police of course, and when they arrived, they talked my dad into submission, he handed over the weapon, got in their car, they brought him to the hospital and then home, and handed the revolver to my mother. This was just a couple years ago in one of the largest cities in the US.

I am so thankful that the cop in the video or someone like him wasn't dispatched to deal with my dad that day.

There are some good people out there, upholding their oaths.

edit on 17-1-2012 by primus2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Thanks. Glad I didn't ramble too badly there!
And yeah...this does make the cop seem even way more guilty. It basically makes this a premeditated assault. This video did only apparently come out one or two days ago. Hopefully the cop will end up with way more than a reprimand for turning off his camera.

Just to take his superiors side for a minute here, it is possible they hadn't actually seen the video until just before we did. He needs to be fired and locked up for aggravated assault at the very least.

Also....just for the record....I bet the sound is irretrievable because he probably turned the personal battery pack off. The actual power and not just the recording.

edit on 17-1-2012 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
These cops are the true thugs of society. It will all come back to haunt them in due time!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

No I don't think it was overkill. It seemed to me to be very proper in every respect. The fact that the man said he was demented gave the cop reason to react. Cops deal with dementia on a daily basis and they know the danger of interacting with a mental case and they know the danger of not taking proper action when threatened.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Then have the first move you make kick the guy in the stomach...or possibly the testicles.

Was that a joke? If you call that a kick then it's funny. A real kick would have killed him. The officer was keeping him at a distance. The nut just kept moving in closer and closer. I still see it as proper procedure and the man should be put in jail not a hospital.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PartyboyK

Originally posted by mcdgray129

Originally posted by popsmayhem
The guy had a knife..

What would of you rather the
cop done SHOOT HIM WITH BULLETS>/>?

His age does not matter.
edit on 16-1-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

Can you please point out where in the video the guy had a knife??, please do show me cos i would really like to see it.
And like what was already said why would the cop turn off his video on a suspect that had a knife??, are you for real??. Man you're just as bad as them cops, imo i hope they come and bust you're ass and then you will see what the cops are like...

Your reading comprehension and sarcasm detection results are in!

You failed!

How so partyboyk?? are you saying the guy who said the old man deserved it and that he did have a knife was being sarcastic??. And sorry _Phoenix_ i didnt mean to quote you, but the same guy you was quoting
edit on 17-1-2012 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnificient

The cop continued to move towards the man too. He knew he had backup coming, and coming soon. Th other officer was there within about a minute. If he really wanted to avoid an incident then just stay in the car and don't even pull up to the scene till both officers are there.

If he just HAD to go in...which he did he had other options. He didn't need to walk towards the 66 year old either.He could have waited. It wasn't easy to tell how fast the older guy was moving, but he surely wasn't coming very fast at the cop..like he was charging him.

I don't understand why you continue to defend the actions of the cop here. You say it wasn't a hard kick, but it knocked the guy to the ground. And he didn't get up. It doesn't matter if he was kicked in the stomach or the testicles. As another poster has mentioned too...even after the guy was on the ground, AT NO POINT did the cop even look for the supposed knife. Nope...he just continued the beating.

The kick in my opinion was excessive, but it was enough from what the video shows to disable the man. He could have easily handcuffed him right then and searched him. But he didn't. He proceeded to beat this 66 year old man in and about the head and face area. There was NO attempt to subdue or to cuff. This was a plain and simple beat down.

But...since you insist the cop was in the right, then answer this please for me.....why did he turn off the video recorder and audio before he got out of the car? His superiors have already admitted if nothing else that was not proper procedure.

I'm not trying to bash all cops. I'm not a cop hater. I don't fully trust them..even ones I know, but I'm not anti police. I am however anti abuse of power and anti unnecessary ass kicking. Some suspects do need to be fought more than others to bring them under control. Not this guy though. He didn't use his tazer. He didn't wait for backup..and then backup arrived and DID taze...right to the face. The fact is...this cop beat an older mentally declining man for absolutely NO apparent reason. And tried to hide the fact that he did it. BEFORE he even did it. This was a premeditated beat down. You really need to stop defending this cops actions.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
After reviewing one of the links with an update Frogs posted yesterday it sounds like now this actually might have happened in October.

The complaint was only just filed this past Friday. The chief had no comment when questioned by the media, but did say the city is having a hearing on the matter tomorrow. Gonna have to watch for the Melbourne new tomorrow to see if anything else comes of this.

Here is a comment posted my a reader of one of the sites Frogs linked about the situation and Mr. Flowers.

I am heartsick. I have known Mr. Flowers for over 30 years. He has kept my yard in immaculate condition over those years. The man hasn't a mean bone in his body. I have never seen him even raise his voice. He is a kind and gentle man who took great pride in his work. When I see the pictures of him bloody and bruised I am sick to my stomach. This is SOOO WRONG!

Comment made by a user named surfside

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnificient
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

No I don't think it was overkill. It seemed to me to be very proper in every respect. The fact that the man said he was demented gave the cop reason to react. Cops deal with dementia on a daily basis and they know the danger of interacting with a mental case and they know the danger of not taking proper action when threatened.

I wonder why he turned off the video equipment. Maybe so his premeditated actions would not be recorded and reviewed.

Atleast some people know what this thug in a uniform looks like now. Its every man for himself from here on in. Scum will pay for being scum in the whole scheme of things.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

We don't pay our cops to hide in a car. The procedure was picture perfect.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Yeah we dont pay them to beat us too...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

This is another example of Police being worse then the criminals. Why his son stood by and let the cop beat and taze his father is beyond explanation. This cop aught to be thrown in the deepest darkest part of the prison and tortured for the remainder of his life. I am a strong proponent of standing up for others when they are being hurt without cause even if it is by the police. They say blue is thicker then red I say it's time to bleed the blue!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Wrong. Most departments have specific procedures in place which allow for, or even encourage "staging" as it's called to wait for backup. Unless there was specific information from dispatch someone was being knifed to death at that very moment, .....and from what I've read it was actually the exact opposite, it is acceptable and often prudent to await backup on weapons calls.

Just a quick question there Mr magnificent, you're not officer Mittendorf or his tazer to the face partner are you? Even a defense attorney wouldn't be as quick to publically support the beat down of an obviously weaponless and defenseless elderly man.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Update to this story. All charges against the 66 year old Albert Flowers have been dropped. Nothing further as far as punishment for the cops.
Melbourne Florida link

Nothing further was released since the potential for civil action still exists.

Well....at least they dropped the reststing charges. The cops need to be arrested too and placed in general population and let this video go viral at the prison.

As I have said before.....I'm usually not this hard on cops for most things. This is just so blatant of abuse of power and the elderly I really thought this needed the extra attention here on ATS.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mcdgray129

That quote makes it look like your talking to me.

I assume your not right?

edit: ah sorry just read your above post

edit on 18-1-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by mcdgray129

That quote makes it look like your talking to me.

I assume your not right?

edit: ah sorry just read your above post

edit on 18-1-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

It's cool
. I tried to edited out you're quote when i seen i quoted you by mistake, but it was too late and it wouldn't let me

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Without reading most this thread , I take it the gist is Cops are terrible Humans beings? Yeah , don't we already know this? I mean I dislike the evil things they do but I'm sick of people being shocked at how horrible these "heroes" are. Most people have known the cops weren't good people since what? Kent State in the seventies?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join