It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop beats 66 year old man with dementia for no reason

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
The guy had a knife..

What would of you rather the
cop done SHOOT HIM WITH BULLETS>/>?

His age does not matter.
edit on 16-1-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

Don't want to make you look dumb but.....if he had a knife the cop would have pulled his gun out and yelled "put the knife down!"

And even if the cop did decide to attack a guy with a knife with his bear hands (very stupid) then the video would have showed the cop trying to grab/get rid of the knife, the biggest threat ASAP. But no he just kicks the guy and punches him repeatedly in the face as if the knife didn't exist....oh wait.

edit on 16-1-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

It looked like the cop was on a call and it also looked like he warned the man to stay back. It looked like good work to me. You can't keep moving toward a cop when they tell you to stay back. That he was 66 years old and had dementia doesn't matter that much. Lot's of criminals are 66 years old and all of them with some form of dementia.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnificient

You make some good points but don't you think the punching and tasering was a bit of overkill.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnificient

It looked like the cop was on a call and it also looked like he warned the man to stay back. It looked like good work to me. You can't keep moving toward a cop when they tell you to stay back. That he was 66 years old and had dementia doesn't matter that much. Lot's of criminals are 66 years old and all of them with some form of dementia.

Well....since there is no audio, it's hard to say if the cop was telling him to stay back. The nephew is saying in the interview he was telling the cop there was no knife and telling the cop he had dementia. People with dementia do have to be treated differently. What if it was a mentally challenged kid with a kmife? Should he be treated the same way you and I are?
I say yes. The cop had a tazer. You can see it on his left hip. Or just stay in the car till backup comes. The backup was obviously very close. He was there within a minute or so. You don't just walk straight towards a mentally challenged individual who supposedly has a weapon. The guy might have kept walking, but the cop did too.

Then have the first move you make kick the guy in the stomach...or possibly the testicles. And you don't do ANY of that after turning off the record feature of your dash can. Especially when backup is 1 minute away. It isn't good police work. It's horrible work. It's blatant abuse. And abuse of power.

edit on 16-1-2012 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
If the guy had a knife, the officer would have shot him, no doubt about it.

So this leads me to believe he didn't have a knife.

Furthermore, you don't see a knife in the video. The knife seems to be a red herring.

This officer is just a sociopath who wanted to beat someone up, and we need to get these kind of individuals out of the system. 1 strike your out.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

The guy had a knife..

His age does not matter.

Don't want to make you look dumb but.....if he had a knife the cop would have pulled his gun out and yelled "put the knife down!"

And even if the cop did decide to attack a guy with a knife with his bear hands (very stupid) then the video would have showed the cop trying to grab/get rid of the knife, the biggest threat ASAP. But no he just kicks the guy and punches him repeatedly in the face as if the knife didn't exist....oh wait.

edit on 16-1-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

Can you please point out where in the video the guy had a knife??, please do show me cos i would really like to see it.
And like what was already said why would the cop turn off his video on a suspect that had a knife??, are you for real??. Man you're just as bad as them cops, imo i hope they come and bust you're ass and then you will see what the cops are like...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

So this leads me to believe he didn't have a knife.

Furthermore, you don't see a knife in the video. The knife seems to be a red herring.

Thee cop probably saw he didn't have a knife long before this video starts, and that's when he turned off his camera. Or thought he did. Cause he was "bothered" by a senile old man and it was time for a good old fashioned ass whipping. Little did he know the camera was still on. And it's a good thing it was!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

The guy had a knife..

His age does not matter.

maybe, just maybe............ follow me now............ the cop should've used sound judgement and common sense to try and I.D. a weapon, and a threat first. take a look at the use of force ladder.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The most obvious question here is: HOW DO YOU RECOVER DATA FROM A RECORDING DEVICE THAT IS OFF?

It is impossible to "recover" data from any recording device that was not recording data, since there would be no data recorded to recover...

somtin smells fishy and it aint your sister...
edit on 16-1-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

OK.....I was trying to explain earlier, but was on my tablet and it's hard to type there. This will be a little long, but I'll try not to make it too technical. My guess is the camera is always on. This is for the police and public's protection. However, it isn't always saving the images. Think about DVR now. You can watch a show without recording the entire show, but also back it up to re-watch a part you missed or something like that. It is actually recording, but it isn't saving beyond say..and hour. That's how my TV's DVR works.

Let's say this dash cam works similar. It's always on, and always recording, it just isn't always saving the video. Well..it can be turned off, but the power to the unit would have to be cut. This cop apparently thought turning off the record button stopped it. It doesn't.

Now....either a complaint was made very early on after this happened by the family, or more likely...this probably happened near the end of the cops shift. They probably switch out tapes/dvd's or whatever they are using as memory to record onto each day. Think about your computer now. If you "erase" something...or basically send it to the recycle bin...it doesn't actually erase the content. All it does initially is remove the actual link YOU would see to the item/program or whatever. It also removes the " overwrite protection" of the file. Eventually, if you continue using your computer, that part of the hard drive will be re-used again. The file might start to get overwritten.

The only secure way to erase a hard drive is to use software which actually overwrites the program with something else. The current standard the CIA uses is 5 overwrites to ensure data is erased completely. Since the recording medium from the dash cam that day for whatever reason was probably removed soon after this episode happened, the data was never overwritten. It wasn't actually saved with a link either, but a good data recovery software can find files erased months ago or longer...as long as that part of the drive hasn't been reused that much.

Sometimes...it can get overwritten once or even twice..or at least partially overwritten and the data can still be recovered. Occasionally there is some data loss, but this seems pristine. I'm quite positive whatever was being used to record to from the dash cam was removed shortly after this incident. Then the entire say DVD was placed into storage.

Eventually, the guy who was beat up or his nephew's lawyers ask to see the tape. They may have even subpoenaed it. The cops working evidence check the tapes from that day and find the video had been turned off. Now...I'm not sure at this point whether the cops did the data retrieval or the lawyers hired someone to do it, but it got done, and low- and-behold...the incident in it's entirety was there for everyone to see. It was almost a month after the incident, so I'm guessing maybe it was the lawyers...but it could as well have just been followup by the evidence guys.

The camera was on. The cop thought he turned it off...but all he did was turn off the protected recording. Just like my TV does...I can back up for an hour and find something on that channel. Sort of the same thing here.

I hope I explained that good enough to make sense. Basically, the cop was an idiot. If he didn't want it on tape, the best thing to do would have been to angle the car/cam away from the scene. Technology was obviously way above his head.

edit on 16-1-2012 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I think his age does matter- what if the victim were not an old man, but a child?

Also, there are a multitude of techniques for restraining or subduing a person without causing physical harm (ever heard of Judo?). A kick to the stomach like that is enough to cause a person to double-over and cease being any sort of threat; repeated punching to the face, and THEN tazered afterwards makes my blood boil.
(fat cop)

edit on 16-1-2012 by kissy princess because: i'm pissed

edit on 16-1-2012 by kissy princess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
The most obvious question here is: HOW DO YOU RECOVER DATA FROM A RECORDING DEVICE THAT IS OFF?

It appears the dashcam system is designed to still record even when it is apparently turned off.

Most likely to stop cops turning it off if they intend on doing the wrong thing.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Cut cameras and action very nicely executed, he's been practicing by the looks of it, this isn't the first time this Coward has dished out a beating on a defenseless victim it's just the first time he's been caught.

Some Big Buck Brothers need to go and find out where this Cop and his close family hang out and show him the error of his ways, or at the very least break his arms and legs.
edit on 17-1-2012 by JudgeDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnificient

at 27sec it actually looks like the officer motions to the man to come towards him and since the officer has turned off his cam, there is no audio to suggest that he told the man not to approach him. The act of turning off his cam prior to confronting this man shows that he intended to do something he did not want to be recorded. Then directly after he kicks the man the officer does not search the mans hands for a knife, so... he must not have been worried about that, so he obviously lied about his need to assault the man over a knife in the first place. And then.... the other officer tases the man in the face?? This is pretty clearly assault from both officers.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Thank you, very well explained.

Although it makes the LEO look even more guilty than he already did. Which worked in our favor, we really need to get this type of person out of law enforcement.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
What else is new??
More police brutality......

Im not rolling my eyes at this thread, Im rolling my eyes at the whole world. Where has common decency gone? Over here in New Zealand we have all sorts of violent and sick things going on atm in the news... It blows my mind how people act with just no regard for fellow their man and completely non-functioning moral compasses.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
My view is, there are police officers

and then there are cops

Those two bozos should be on assault with intent, and weapon charges as well
The fact that the man suffers from dementia makes what they did so much worse.

Cops suck

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

The guy had a knife..

You clearly must have missed the part where it was specifically stated the man did not have a knife and that the situation had already been resolved. Your haste in defending the police has blown back in your face.

Why did the cop turn the camera off, if not to hide his own actions? Riddle me that one hmm?

I would not be surprised to find that you, yourself are a cop who has brutally beaten other people. You lot seem to stick together.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
id love to hear a story about good cops. seems like there arent many.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join