It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop beats 66 year old man with dementia for no reason

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
AFTER he turned off his camera. Apparently the cop turned his camera off before getting out of the car, but police forensics officers were able to retrieve the video, just not the audio. The 66 year old slowly walks over towards the cop and the cop kicks him in the stomach knocking him to the ground. Then proceeds to beat him for almost a minute before another cop arrives and tazes the man IN THE FACE.

The man has dementia. His family called police because apparently the demented man had pulled a knife earlier. The cop, Derrick Mittendorf wrote in his report stating the 66 year old named Albert Flowers had walked towards him at an aggressive pace and he couldn't tell if he had a knife. Flower's nephew yelled at the cop there was no knife and that his uncle had dementia, but the cop never stopped punching him in the face.

Flowers spent over a month in the hospital after this. The only reason the video was forensically retrieved was after the nephew complained about the police brutality.

Flowers apparently owns a business and an employee complained he had pulled out a knife on him. The family told police there was no knife and the incident had already been resolved. Flowers was charged with assault on police. He never once did ANYTHING to them. The cop Mittendorf only received a reprimand for turning off his video camera.

So they beat him up and then charge him with beating them up......seriously? This happened over a month ago, but the video I found was just uploaded yesterday. I did several searches and never could find this on ATS yet. This is absolute insanity.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Heh this happened about 2 miles from where I use to live.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The guy had a knife..

What would of you rather the
cop done SHOOT HIM WITH BULLETS>/>?

His age does not matter.
edit on 16-1-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadys321

Yeah....the video said Melbourne. I'm assuming it's Melbourne Florida.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Maybe people will finally learn to handle their family issues and not contact the police for them like trailer trash?

The only time I am calling a cop anymore is if someone broke into my house and they were killed by me, Yes I would call AFTER taking the thief out myself!
edit on 16-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
The guy had a knife..

His age does not matter.

rofl this guy

not even artful.

+11 more 
link   

The guy had a knife..

His age does not matter.

No...he had a knife earlier. Even in the video I can see I see no knife and the nephew right there said he had no knife. The cops own report said the man walked towards him aggressively, when if you actually watch the video, it's the cop who is doing all the aggression.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Also they should not even call them the Police Force anymore they should be called what they are "The Useless Force".

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

The guy had a knife..

His age does not matter.

No...he had a knife earlier. Even in the video I can see I see no knife and the nephew right there said he had no knife. The cops own report said the man walked towards him aggressively, when if you actually watch the video, it's the cop who is doing all the aggression.

This guy should be THANKING THE OFFICER
for not blowing his 66 year old head off with a 9mm.
YAWN...
Just another BS cop bashing thread.

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

YAWN...

Did you actually watch the video? Even the officer admitted he couldn't tell if the guy had a knife. But more importantly...why did the cop turn off his video and audio equipment? He was planning on beating this guy from the start is my guess.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I found a few sources on this other than youtube.

There is the following from some central FL news outlets.

Family says police confrontation went too far

Officer beats 66-year-old man suffering from dementia in video

A question for any of our resident LEO's that happen to be reading. I'll admit the articles are written in a slanted manner. However, there doesn't seem to be any question on this bit.

The officer turned off his video and audio equipment before the beating. The department was able to extract the video from the hard drive, but not the audio.

I say that because..

The only disciplinary record the officer received for the incident was a written reprimand for turning off the recording equipment.

So there is the record of that.

Is turning off your recording equipment prior to investigating a possible suspect with a knife SOP?

If not, why? If so why? Can you understand how by doing this it makes his actions look even more suspicious to the public?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

LOL maybe you should change the title

66 year old man with dementia, wins the jackpot
[insert amount awarded by jury here],
after police brutality incident

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

The guy had a knife..

His age does not matter.

YAWN...

What an aggressive i...t you are.
How much raw meat do you consume on a daily basis to keep yourself in that state of mind?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Someone should have walked up to that cop and put a bullet in his head. What he did was blatant assault with intent to cause harm. If a regular citizen would have done something like this that person would be on his way to prison for a long time. I am so sick of seeing videos like this that show aggressive cops doing whatever they feel like doing to anyone that they feel like doing it to. Time to rise up and meet violence with violence. Maybe after a few cops get killed by citizens protecting their homes and families from these jack booted thugs, they will realize that they too are bound by the limits of the law. The road to liberty and freedom will be paved with the blood of cops, corrupt politicians, and bankers and judges. The time for peacful protest is over. Blood must be spilled,Revolution Now!!
edit on 1/16/2012 by unsteadystate because: Spelling/grammar

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Thanks for the added content there. I was just starting to look for some more but was also replying to something else when I saw your input.
And yeah...it is extremely suspicious that he turned off his video while going to deal with someone who potentially had a deadly weapon. You'd think he would want it on. Not off. Unless the cop had prior plans....

edit on 16-1-2012 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

According to your constitution that guy could of fought back and even killed the cop under his right under the constitution.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The cop's could have been racist too,

And did you see the second cop, deliberately aim the tazer at that poor blokes face?

With the turning off of the equipment, and the blatant excess of force (or even sadistic abuse in my view)
I think we can safely assume-

The cop's were out to dish a whoopin

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

I doubt the 66 year old mentally disabled man had the ability to fight back, much less even resist a little bit after a kick to the gut like that a followed by punches to the face.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is where you see the cops brains explode like JFK and justifiably

These cops know they can get away with this stuff thats why they continue to do these things

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
But if he had, the guy would be dead.

There were only two cop's there, who both wanted to beat this man down, evidenced in their action's, of turning the camera off, and actually beating/tasing him.

If he had fought back they would have shot him,

Never try to fight a copper, not unless its a revolution.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join