It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape in the Military

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
This is a shocking story about men who are raped while serving their country. Apparently this happens more than you would think, and it isn't easy to prosecute.

www.boston.com...

The call came shortly after dinner on a raw night this winter. Mark Partridge sprang to the phone, eager to talk to his 20-year-old son, Brian, who had been based for more than a year on the USS Ardent, a minesweeper patrolling the Persian Gulf. Fulfilling a childhood dream to follow his father into service, it had been a moment of triumph when Brian landed a berth on the sleek gray ship.

But what his father now heard on the other end of the line was anything but triumphant. His only child was nearly hysterical, on the brink of tears.

"Dad, I've been raped," the young man shouted, as both men recall it. "There's blood all over the place."

"Who did this?" demanded his father. "Where is he?"

"I don't know," said Partridge, standing in the apartment of the man he says assaulted him. "I beat him up bad."

"Go to the base security," his father commanded. "Right now."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Its appalling.... There also can be a culture of silence that prevents these people from going to authorities. Its a double whammy. The stigma of rape and the fear of being accused of being homosexual.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This is what we get for using a dont ask dont tell policy. I dont think a homosexual man should be allowed to shower with heterosexual man. We wouldnt let a heterosexual man shower with a women It should be the same way. You shouldnt have to shower with a human that finds you sexually attractive.

You would think raoes would be rare since who ever the victim is he or she will most likely have a weapon or access to a weapon.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
This is what we get for using a dont ask dont tell policy. I dont think a homosexual man should be allowed to shower with heterosexual man. We wouldnt let a heterosexual man shower with a women It should be the same way. You shouldnt have to shower with a human that finds you sexually attractive.

You would think raoes would be rare since who ever the victim is he or she will most likely have a weapon or access to a weapon.

Since when did rape suddenly become a crime of passion? It's a crime of power. Or, are our prisons filled full of homosexuals?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   

This is what we get for using a dont ask dont tell policy. I dont think a homosexual man should be allowed to shower with heterosexual man.

This was an assault and had nothing to do with sexual orientation. This was a terrible crime committed by someone who wanted to ascert authority and control over another human being. Male on male rape is usually the result of lack of other options (see female).

My heart goes out to this man and the "you ain't seen nothing yet" abuse that will be heaped upon him as a result of him reporting it. Ask any woman.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
A crime of Power
Thats what a male rapist say to make themselves think they are not Homosexual. If you rape another man guess what your a Homosexual. When you rape someone its for sexual gratification,they can get a feeling of power by beating someone up but rape is about sex

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
Male on male rape is usually the result of lack of other options (see female).

My heart goes out to this man and the "you ain't seen nothing yet" abuse that will be heaped upon him as a result of him reporting it. Ask any woman.

Exactly if men in prison had access to females for sex you wouldnt see a fraction of male on male rapes. That right there shows you its a crime of sexual need not power.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Do you really not see that it is about control and submission? Read this article.

Myth: �Men who rape other men are gay.�

Fact: Rape is an act of control and domination, whether the chosen victim is male or female. Rape is not a sexual act and it does not relate to sexual orientation.

Myth: �Men rape because they need sex.�

Fact: Men do not rape because they need a sexual partner. Men rape in order to humiliate and dominate a woman. In fact, 75% of men who rape are either married or have regular sexual partners. (3)

Myth: �Rape only happens to teenagers or young women.�

Fact: Rapists attack infants, senior citizens and teens. They attack women, men, girls and boys.

Myth: �Rape is not a big deal; it is only sex.�

Fact: Rape is a big deal. It is a crime of dominance and control using sex to express power and anger. Sex is between two consenting partners, while rape is an aggressive act using sex as a weapon. To be raped is to be violated and stripped of control and self-determination.

Your ignorance here is unfortunate.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Anyone that thinks a list of this is why people rape can explain the motives of millions of people is ingnorant in their own right.

If you are a man and rape another man you have at very least become a bi-sexual.

Dont you think its wierd that most male on male rapes take place in prison where there are no access to women or sex, I wonder why that is? If every man that wanted to exert control and power outside of prison rape another man There would be a whole lot of male rapes going on.

But see there are other ways people can exert power and control and beating the crap out of someone is one.But rape has a sexual overtone its why we call it a sex crime not a power or control crime.

But when your a big man in prison that goes around raping people you say its about control and humliation anything to hide the fact that you have preformed a homosexual act. If preforming a homosexual act does not make you a homosexual I dont now what does.

[edit on 13-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
Male on male rape is usually the result of lack of other options (see female).

Exactly if men in prison had access to females for sex you wouldnt see a fraction of male on male rapes. That right there shows you its a crime of sexual need not power.

If it was just a matter of "Sexual " gratification, then they could just masturbate.. Rape is Specifically a Power trip.. And 99.9 percent of Male on Male rape is perpetrated by Heterosexual men, just like 99.9 percent of Child molestation is perpetrated by Heterosexual males...

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thethrall_nb

If it was just a matter of "Sexual " gratification, then they could just masturbate.. Rape is Specifically a Power trip.. And 99.9 percent of Male on Male rape is perpetrated by Heterosexual men, just like 99.9 percent of Child molestation is perpetrated by Heterosexual males...

Please tell me where you found those stats, or did you just make them up?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
My mistake ShadowXIX, you're right, it's not 99.9 percent, it's closer to 98%. Here's where i got my info....www.rapecrisiscenter.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   

My mistake ShadowXIX, you're right, it's not 99.9 percent, it's closer to 98%. Here's where i got my info....www.rapecrisiscenter.com...

quote taken from abovementioned site.

"A. Nicholas Groth, a clinical psychologist and author of Men Who Rape: The Psychology of the Offender, says all sexual assault is an act of aggression, regardless of the gender or age of the victim or the assailant. Neither sexual desire nor sexual deprivation is the primary motivating force behind sexual assault. It is not about sexual gratification, but rather a sexual aggressor using somebody else as a means of expressing their own power and control."

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   

quote taken from abovementioned site.

"A. Nicholas Groth, a clinical psychologist and author of Men Who Rape: The Psychology of the Offender, says all sexual assault is an act of aggression, regardless of the gender or age of the victim or the assailant. Neither sexual desire nor sexual deprivation is the primary motivating force behind sexual assault. It is not about sexual gratification, but rather a sexual aggressor using somebody else as a means of expressing their own power and control."

Psychology is far from a exact science there a reason these guys are often called quacks. Every body does not think the same and so Psychologist can never make claims like this is why this is done or this is why that is done. Its not as simple as that.

That whole 98 percent stat is dubious at best. If he went around polling rapist in prison his results would be far from accurate. People in prison will not addmitt they are homosexual even if they are. To addmitt your are homosexual in prison would result in a bunch of undesirable results some of which would be you would be targeted or perhaps sold as a sex slave.

If these people are only raping to " expressing their own power and control." Then why does rape more often then not,not end until orgasm? Because sexual gratification is a part of it. The crime of rape is not so simple that it can be explained like this psychologist has stated.

[edit on 13-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
You're right, rape is a difficult thing to explain, and it is "Partially" sexual in it's nature. At best being described as being "Psyco-sexual" in nature. The "Predator" gets off sexually by forcing another person, ( be it male or female) to submit to thier control, thier will... Thereby making themselves feel like the All-powerful and controling force of thier own private little universe.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   

You're right, rape is a difficult thing to explain, and it is "Partially" sexual in it's nature. At best being described as being "Psyco-sexual" in nature. The "Predator" gets off sexually by forcing another person, ( be it male or female) to submit to thier control, thier will... Thereby making themselves feel like the All-powerful and controling force of thier own private little universe.

I think we are both right to a degree. It is most likely mix of control and sex motives for the most part . I like the way you just explained it better then A. Nicholas Groth IMO.

It is indeed a difficult thing to explain far from simple. It so hard to give it one motive. I think it even happens because of things like revenge of all things. When someone in prison is raped they will sometimes rape someone eles themselves because of that, even if they would normally not do it.

The human mind is so complex and everyone thinks alittle different.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I think we are both right to a degree. It is most likely mix of control and sex motives for the most part . I like the way you just explained it better then A. Nicholas Groth IMO.

It is indeed a difficult thing to explain far from simple. It so hard to give it one motive. I think it even happens because of things like revenge of all things. When someone in prison is raped they will sometimes rape someone eles themselves because of that, even if they would normally not do it.

The human mind is so complex and everyone thinks alittle different.

Agreed... and as it is most often the case for Child-molesters as well. Those that abuse are quite often those that have been abused..

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I can see this argument boiling into the gays in the military situation quite quickly and going on forever.

I was in the military when the "Are you a homosexual" question was on the recruiter's form, and when it was taken off.

There were lots of gays in the military before that question came off the recruiter's form.

These types of gays are not the types to wear rainbow pins and go to lambda lambda lambda in college. They are really macho types and borderline psychotics. They move in their own circles.

I don't know how to describe it. What I can say is that the people who admit to being gay are different mentally than rapists. They are not the same thing.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Well I am not gay, but i did spend a short time in prison once, never been in the military.

It seems to me that male homosexuals are looking for relationships or are just promiscuous with others of their own gender. It is really the same old male/female thing, but is male/male instead.

Prison sex is nasty and violent, usually a pack rape. It is violence and dominance, and humiliation. It is violence carried to the extreme, it really has nothing at all to do with sex in the conventional sense.

Just as a soldier in battle would not think of himself as a murderer, a participant in a pack homosexual rape would not think of himself as being a queer. Far from it.

The soldier sees himself as a patriot and hero. The pack rapist as being more of a man, funnily enough.

I am not a psychologist, and I don't understand it, but I have seen it.

I can also see how someone that finds themselves at the very bottom of the pecking order in the military might be a candidate for a pack rape. And how the higher ranks could see it as harmless fun, the boys letting off steam. A disgrace to be covered up. The "none of our MEN are queers" syndrome. And they are probably right, but it is still a crime that requires punishment.

Male/female rape is a totally different thing. I just cannot imagine a lesbian rape, but I suppose anything is possible ??

[edit on 13-9-2004 by Warpspeed]

[edit on 13-9-2004 by Warpspeed]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
These poeple get reduced, mentally, to robots and are then trained in the noble art of war.

What do you expect them to do , press flowers and a bit of embroidery on the side?!? They are mosters 'coz that their job, so expect them to act like it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join