It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unique Gravity Stools Created With a Giant Magnet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
By using science and the human imagination, these unique and one of a kind stools are being created. Watch the embedded video below to watch how they are made using powerful magnets.

I would love to have one of these.

gizmodo.com...

These eyesores aren't going to take home any design awards for style. But I bet that physicists and other science types would love to have one in the office because they're created by extruding plastic with a super-sized magnet.

But their creator, Jólan van der Wiel, hasn't come up with some revolutionary new type of plastic that's attracted to magnets. Instead, like with ferrofluids, when mixing up the raw ingredients Jólan adds iron filings which causes the soft plastic to be extruded and pulled up towards a powerful magnet. Which is how the unique and random design of the stool's legs are created.

Thanks to the randomness of quantum dynamics (and whatever other science that makes magnets work) no two stools end up being the same. So they're kind of like gigantic snowflakes, with ugly spiny designs instead of the elegant symmetry of mother nature.

Amazing works of art thanks to science, and those who use science to create.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
s&f

just wish the video wasn't
so artsy fartsy so you could see more
of the actual process ...

could there also be some health concerns,
do to the Iron filings

and the only reason its a stool
is because he uses that dish to start it
giving him a default seat....

I mean depending on what shape you start with ...
then grow your "gravity legs outta it"
you could make a Gravity end table ...or anything with legs for that matter

I came to this thread thinking
I was goin to see floating stools

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Damn, I was hoping for floating stools as well!!
Also 'stool' brings something else to mind

I wonder how long before someone sues the artist, I would imagine that there are some razor sharp edges going on there!! Wouldn't want to collapse onto any of those!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Cool I like it, I would like to get one for myself. It probably cost way too much though.

top topics

join