It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone over the age of 30 should read this..

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The good old days...yep, I remember them, and they truly were better. How? Well, trees for instance. Trees are a renewable resource. Paperwood grows off in about eight to fifteen years, replant and grow another crop. It takes about 20% more energy to recycle paper than to grow new trees. Simple, go back to paper bags. Electric cars? Why? The electricity still has to be generated and that means more coal or nuke plants. You're just moving the pollution around. No way will windmills or solar panels replace our county's fuel needs. Refine engines to run cleaner and leaner and forget this cross-over crap.

Go back to canning food at home. Grow a garden, buy local produce. Learn to write letters again (save the Post Office). There are more deer and wild game now than when the Pilgrims landed. Start teaching the three "R's" in school and forget what's PC. Get the government off the backs of people and you'd be surprised how resourceful people can be.

But, as long as there is greed, nothing will ever get better in America or anywhere else. It's going to take a true soul change in humans for our world to get better, and greed is what I believe will finally do us in...not plastic bags.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by happyhomemaker29
reply to post by ronishia

Gawd, why'dja hafta go and make me feel old when I already feel that way? Thanks a lot man! I was hoping to avoid that feeling at least for a little while, pretend I wasn't as old as I was, then go to sleep, wake up feeling oh say 30? 25? At least till the coffee kicked in and along with it reality. LOL Oh well. Actually for awhile there we had the tiny TV until our dad built one from scratch with parts from Radio Shack. It took him 7 years to do it, because us kids kept getting into his room and getting into the parts losing or breaking things. It had a remote with 5 buttons. On/off, up/down channel, and up/down volume and a fairly large screen for back in the day. It was a 25-30 inch color screen with a record player in the bottom console TV. He was quite proud of his accomplishment. We used it for the Nintendo DS I believe.

Don't forget the African Mahogany floor models!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

The article was a good read yes, we didn't have the green thing then because the sheeple weren't dumbed down enough then to accept the gobbledygoop that 's being brain washed in to the young sheeples heads now days back then we had teachers who taught us what we needed to know and not pass along politically baced propaganda from the NEA to the students. No, we didn't have the green thing. Sorry that it was invented to be the boogey monster whose in the common air that we breathe and not under the bed or in the closet as it was when we were kids.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
then how did yo u do this. go green!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I remember when milk came in glass bottles and were returned for refills.

When soda came in glass bottles, not plastic or aluminum.

We burned our trash back then yes, so most of it was not going into a landfill.

We hung our clothes out on the line to dry, even in winter time.

We walked everywhere, and only took a car when we had to.

We didn't leave things plugged in to charge all of the time.

We hunted for our food mostly, and processed our meat and didn't eat hormone ridden crap that contributed to green house gas.

I could go on, but yeah, the older generation did have some things right. And the things we got wrong, we have tried to correct.

But IMHO, the newer generation wastes way more than what we did back then. And they eat crap.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

that is not correct,there is alot more young inventing alot more to pollute the enviorment,in the past there was some,but now?have a look in walmart for example.and older people used things till it was dead,now?disposable and plastic.who you think invent these new things?the old?i dont think so.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Yeah, it really freaks me out how lazy young children are today, and how parents are content to let them sit on their xbox and phones all day long. When I was a kid in the summer time, we went outside in the morning and stayed out almost all day long playing. I was skinny, and so were all of my friends. I don't remember so many obese children as we have now. We wonder why kids are coming up with lifestyle diseases at the age of 10.....

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bumpufirst

No its actually a 100% proven fact that even with more Americans we are creating less trash. And recycling helps.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

I remember my mom having to fight me to come inside for the night. From 7 am to 10pm I was out playing and "exploring" the woods. We need kids to be kids again.
edit on 16-1-2012 by LongbottomLeaf because: yikes

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
i also have to admit that the people of concern in the conservation matters have alot of guilt,theres agencies that are and were sapposed to look after these things,but money talks as usual.and as everything else lets blame it on the old people,how nice is that?the ones responsible?corporations goverment agencies,why?what they say goes,or is it not true?modern times blaming on the old,like if they are really doing things better now.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

i dought that very much,as i said theres tons of trash on the shelfs waiting to be bought used and desposed in a few months.purchasing has increased ,how could trash have decreased?recycle?not a chance.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bumpufirst

Well you can think what you want I tend to agree with National Geographic.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
What a great find and how true.
I remember it being just like that.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I remember filling up the back of our station wagon with bags and bags of cans everytime we went somewhere so we could drop them off at the recyling center, all so us kids could make a few bucks. We'd scrounge in garbage cans, check the sand, or the park, etc...

I also remember, very fondly I might add, the Commodore 64 in the basement that we'd use the book to find program games and type the game programs into it, no matter how long it took, all so we could play Pong on the Commodore. Gawd, that was fun as all heck. I actually miss that sometimes.

I remember working in the AV library room just so when there was a few minutes, I could play on the Apple computer. (The very old ones, not the new macs we have now.) I also loved making copies for the teachers. I had to use that big giant ratating drum that stained your fingers a purplish blue to make copies, not a xerox machine. I was in the AV room, when the Space Shuttle Challenger went down. I remember being so shocked, none of us moved. It was like our feet became glued to the floor. I was supposed to take a TV/VCR to a teacher's room, but none of us wanted to move, we all wanted to see what was going on, what Reagan would say. (Reagan if I recall correctly.) The fact that a civilian was onboard and her husband and I believe her kids too, were watching her take off made it even more shocking, and heartbreaking.

I spent more time in the library than any other classroom. The entire school knew if they couldn't find me, check the library. I was a geek, I admit it. LOL I would even ditch study hall for library. I loved putting books away, anything that had to do with the library, I loved it. I read almost every book in there by the time I graduated. I knew every teacher in the school. I was on good terms with all staff. I'll admit it. For some reason, I got along better with adults, more than I did with kids my age. I felt they were too immature and needed to grow up. I felt like a grown up stuck in a kids' body.

I remember I had this little Dorothy Hamill haircut growing up. I hated it, but looking back now, it was kind of cute. LOL I guess it could have been worse. I remember wearing a lot of weird 70's outfits even in the 80's. My father believed if it still fit you, there's no reason to go to the store. We also got a lot of hand-me-down's from his two sister's so a lot of our clothes were kind of "old lady clothes". Oh yeah, made me the "popular" girl in school. Not! LOL Kids can be cruel as we all know. Nowadays we have Don't Bully signs in school. Give me a break. And kids commiting suicide over bullies. I wonder? Were they doing that when we were kids? Or did they do it then too and we're just noticing it now?

I remember being able ride my bike after dark, go out after dark, hell I even took a ride from a stranger once. Stupid I know now, but back then I thought it was totally safe. Halloween we'd go into people's houses. It's amazing the crap we did and didn't think twice about and now, it's not safe to do at all. It's like somebody asked us adults all the stuff we did as kids, made a checklist, then added it to the No-No list. I wonder what's next to be added to the No-No list.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

I AGREE you could not have said it better.
Star for you and star and flag for the op!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Yes, the younger generation are kidding themselves if they think they are not contributing to this whole mess in a massive way!

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanielET
Yes, the younger generation are kidding themselves if they think they are not contributing to this whole mess in a massive way!

I blame the under fives myself - Running around all day
Thinking life is just one big fun game

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Unfortumately, trash has been a problem for every civilization to date. What is pathetic for all of us is that we haven't demanded a proper method of eliminating it.

My main "old days" thing that I get adamant about is that we really should return to drinking out of glass and returning to cardboard for the microwavable TV dinners. It's a health issue in my opinion.

I am a little skittish of being bombarded day after day with petroleum by products contaminating nearly every facet of our dietary intake while cancer rates soar, and those money pigs keep using emissaries to tell us how fine and safe everything is, and that there is no connection..

It simply isn't true. It seems like only the naive can believe that.

I would have no difficulty paying a deposit on the bottles. Even those I don't take back, the poor would gladly return them for the deposits. It would be over all healthier for us ALL.
edit on 17-1-2012 by akalepos because: rubber fingers

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

"parent would fall asleep, but they would wake up when you tried to change the channel!! "

I remember getting hooked on Star Trek (Tribbles!!!!) because my old man would fall asleep watching the show. The funny part was, if I changed the channel, he jerk up awke and say, "I was watching that!" I always tell him, "No you weren't, you were sleeping." And I always got the same response, to point, it almost became a thing. "I was watching it behind my eyelids."

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Back then we were also taught respect weather you agreed with someone ar not, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all". My point being is with all this common sense and reasoning you are introducing here you are probably making progressive liberal haeds explode, not a bad thing, might leave room for a little common sense............................nah, I doubt it, good post.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join