It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Favorite Rappers?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

I understand what your saying. Honestly in my opinion the best music does not have lyrics.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by samstone11
I feel compelled to state that as someone who spent years in the recording industry working with some of the most incredible musicians, singers, and overall talent I could ever have imagined I consider it an outright insult to these people any time I see the two words "rap" and "music" in the same sentence. They simply are not the same. Rap certainly does not require the performer to have any musical ability or singing talent, and they rarely even attempt to fake being musicians.

I understand my opinion could be inflammatory, but I do my best to keep it to myself and let others make the decision for themselves as to how they either enjoy or do not enjoy that genre. I also understand that many young (and possibly some older folks such as myself) may have, and are entitled to, a different viewpoint. However, the violence, profanity, disrespect, and overall attitude of the lyrics I have heard do not do anything to endear the rap industry to those who otherwise would want to offer the benefit of a doubt. As for my home, because of the concerns I just mentioned, my son will have to be an adult before he is allowed to make this decision for himself and I could not consider myself a responsible parent if I willingly allowed him willful exposure to it.

Still, I would add that if the overall ethics and attitude was addressed by the industry and fashioned itself into a more acceptable product for our society, I would be more than willing to revisit the concept because I do love music.

I am trying hard to voice my opinion as just an opinion and not be confrontational. I ask readers to understand that I am well aware this is a private decision for myself and instead of pushing a personal agenda on others, I wanted to share my thoughts as an opposing view.

Good luck in your quest. I would gladly respond to civil debate and discussion.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. Rap is an emergent part of our society, and inner city struggles existed prior to any perverse lyrics. Rapping is a form of poetry, even though you would probably disagree. People like you seem to think that anything offensive is void of any art form, which isn't true. Rap alone isn't music, no more than a cappella isn't music, and are you just intentionally disregarding things like timing, breath control and diverse metaphoric word play that talented rappers possess? It's not your cup of tea, fine, but it is a widely appreciated art form that has integrated along side musicianship.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Your response is extremely well presented, appreciated, and accepted on my part. In fact I am extremely impressed I have been able to voice a dissenting opinion and being met with constructive dialog from all concerned so far. Your comment about rap being more closely akin to poetry rings quite true, even though you suspected I might disagree. That actually makes a lot of sense. Would you therefore make the extension that it could also be favorably compared to spoken word art or perhaps jazz?

Just more random thoughts, and thank you everyone for allowing me the courtesy of disagreeing peacefully.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Let me tell you something Tupac I am a man of a million beats and Juveous will vouch for me, because we know what hip/hop is..I honestly have to say my favorite is Percee P!!!!!!!!!!!..Since 1979!.........This dude is lyrical way beyond his time!!! Rap? Hell no this is hip/hop!!! RESPECT!!!

edit on 16-1-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

Percee P vs Lord Finesse 1989...

This is history!!!!!! Listen up
edit on 16-1-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Diabolic lyrics are smart and you can tell there coming straight from his soul. I think he expresses a sentiment that many on ATS would agree with, whether they would listen to this music or not.

from The Truth by Diabolic

"I don't believe your truth, I've been lied to. So if you're ready to fight I'm right beside you. If you don't believe you don't see what I do. Just open your eyes; the truth's inside you."

thanks for turnin me on to this guy, im gonna go listen to some more

And to samstone11
Music is defined as follows

an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

I don't see how the above requirements are not fulfilled by many rappers. The idea that it is not music is ridiculous. If I recited an amazing poem with a random piece of music in the background I would understand if the end result were not considerd music. However if one crafts their words around a rhythm to form a single piece, I dont see how that could be considerd anything but music.

If you listen to this for instance

I find that pretty pleasant to listen to.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by samstone11
reply to post by juveous
That actually makes a lot of sense. Would you therefore make the extension that it could also be favorably compared to spoken word art or perhaps jazz?

Just more random thoughts, and thank you everyone for allowing me the courtesy of disagreeing peacefully.

Right, Q-tip of a Tribe Called Quest mentions this in the documentary Beats Rhymes & Life about them. He compared the improvisation that a jazz artist would use to how a rapper would use improvisation in rhyming. Really, as soon as you put a tempo to guide spoken word its pretty indistinguishable from rap. Anyway, glad you are more open minded to arguments, the genre does tend to blind people from controversy.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Tupac is first, Immortal Technique, Bone Thugs n Harmony.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hands down the best rapper of all time is Myka Nyne

Not mainstream though so most don't know...and not gangster or drugs & bitches....

First verse is his

Freestyle..

Also Aceyalone

Absolutely amazing freestyle...

But then Mainstream rappers... Hmmmm

Andre and Big Boi from Outast could spit... back when they were good.

www.youtube.com...

Rakim - Obviously.

www.youtube.com...

Talib Kweli - story wise and flow..

www.youtube.com...

Pharoahe Monch - flow

www.youtube.com...

Q-Tip - smooth

www.youtube.com...

Gift of Gab - style

www.youtube.com... (one of the best rap tracks EVER)

Method Man - style

www.youtube.com...

Treach - was a beast...

www.youtube.com...

Dunno man... there's loads actually.

edit on 16/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Some dopeness just for the hell of it...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Good question.

#1 FAVORITE RAPPER: Eyedea

#2 FAVORITE RAPPER: Oliver Hart

#3 FAVORITE RAPPER: Eyedea

Yeah, that's right, it's all the same dude. Eyedea's probably your fravorite MC's favorite MC.

"Make money and die that's the American way, it don't matter what name you gave the bucket that you play"

edit on 16-1-2012 by badfish420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hi there,

Long time reader here and I don't post too often but I had to hop on this after seeing that my all time favorite rapper has yet to be mentioned! (Thank god because I am going to have a lot of fun doing this!) I am an incredibly huge fan of the rapper, Macklemore (producer Ryan Lewis). He is from Washington and frequently raps about societal problems, addiction, consumerism, obsession with money, etc. Those who love him, love him because he is a socially conscious rapper. Those who don't like him it is because they say he is more of a 'spoken word' artist. I disagree. I had the privilege of seeing him live.. and his passion is incredible and he DOES rap.
#1. "Wings"
In this song he speaks about the negative effects of materialism and speaks about the brand "Nike" and it's effect on kids and especially the issues of the murders that have happened for what is just simply a pair of shoes.
Notable Lyrics:

Nike Air Flight/but bad was so dope/and then my friend Carlos' brother got murdered for his fours

My movement told me be a consumer and I consumed it/ They told me to just do it/I listened to what that swoosh said

Look at what that swoosh did/See it consumed my thoughts/Are you stupid, don’t crease ‘em, just leave ‘em in that box

#2. "Otherside" Ft. Fences
In this song he speaks about his experience with substance abuse. This is an incredibly beautiful video and I highly recommend you watch it!
Notable lyrics:

Now he just wanted to act like them
He just wanted to rap like him
Us as rappers underestimate the power and the effects that we have on these kids

#3. "Make the Money"
This song speaks about the problem of being obsessed with money and his outlook on money as a rapper.
Notable lyric:

Listen, see I was meant to be a warrior/Fight something amongst me, leave here victorious/Classroom of kids, or a venue performing/If I'd had done for the money I'd have been a #ing lawyer

Make the money, don't let the money make you/Change the game, don't let the game change you/I'll forever remain faithful

Of course I want dubs and a candy painted 'lac/Watch the videos and get the girls in the back/But if that's what I believe in, and the reason that I rap/Uncle Sam is my pimp when he puts me on the track
***^Favorite lyric**
Make The Money

#4. "The Town"
In this song, Macklemore raps/sings about the history of the music in his city.

Notable lyric:

This is our city, town pride, heart, blood, sweat, tears, I-5, North, South side, vibe, live, ride down these city blocks.
And never will be stopped
They tryin' to shut down the clubs that my city rocks
Now Mr. Mayor why would you enforce an ordinance?
Music it saves lives, these kids out here are supporting it
And through the art form we've learned the importance of community
Truth to the youth so they know what's up

Other great songs: "My Oh My" a tribute to Dave Niehaus and "Irish Celebration" which is a tribute to his Irish heritage.

Love to hear your opinion

edit on 16-1-2012 by fizliz because: Video link

edit on 16-1-2012 by fizliz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I love Young Mc Bust a move, for some fun. Urban Dance Squad living in the fast lane,also fun.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

but he's dead now...

well I mean the character known as Dr. Octagon, I mean he died before, came back to life, died came back to life and died again... but yeah.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

cemented in your mental is the exceptional fact that feeling sentimental towards humans is detrimenta l-necro

raw amma give it to ya , wi' no trivia , we like coc aine straight from bolivia

sick flow..

inspired by large amount's of pcp..

i go ape# like digested banana's.

edit on 16-1-2012 by AL13NS3XT0Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AL13NS3XT0Y

Yeah dude Necro is raw! I heard about him through Non Phixion, then checked out Circle of Tyrants, and while their stuff is definitely graphic, the rhymes are legit, especially when Necro spits.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Yeah dude Necro is raw! I heard about him through Non Phixion, then checked out Circle of Tyrants, and while their stuff is definitely graphic, the rhymes are legit, especially when Necro spits.

indeed so, i found necro through listening to cage and it all kinda began there.. happy it did ; definatly some hot # there.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Masta Ace is one of my favourite rappers.

These are some of my favourite tracks of all time:

edit on 16-1-2012 by ATS1Calum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AL13NS3XT0Y

Yeah he can really rhyme. Plus his flow is pretty good also. Here's a song where he spits fire, his verse starts at 2:20

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus

Diabolic lyrics are smart and you can tell there coming straight from his soul. I think he expresses a sentiment that many on ATS would agree with, whether they would listen to this music or not.

from The Truth by Diabolic

"I don't believe your truth, I've been lied to. So if you're ready to fight I'm right beside you. If you don't believe you don't see what I do. Just open your eyes; the truth's inside you."

thanks for turnin me on to this guy, im gonna go listen to some more
No problem! I went through his three albums, and loved literally every single song of his. It's very rare to find an artist where you enjoy their music that much IMO.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Been listening to Hip Hop for almost 20 years now and i admit i may have been getting a bit bored with it.
But then i found Brother Ali and this dude is probably my favourite. Almost blind albino raised by African Americans, unique person, unique music.
Check him out.
Brother Ali - Letter From The Government

Brother Ali - Babygirl

Another favourite would be Atmosphere

Here's one from Little Brother, has to be one of my favourites. 9th wonder killed this beat.
Little Brother - The Way You Do It

Anyway hope you give these a listen and like myself you may find yourself listening to these songs everyday like i do.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join