It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What god is God? Is God a god that no human yet knows?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by arpgme

Or what if the Bible is the truth... God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him.

Now THAT would be amazing considering the contradictions (well if it's literal anyway).

reply to post by arpgme

And that feeling humans have to find happiness can only be obtained when we find out what our purpose is, where the answer can only be found by knowing our creator which the only way to establish that relationship is though a person named Jesus Christ which religions fails to do.

This theory fails as there are people without Jesus with happy lives, even animals

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

But Jesus can represent love for all life... even animals

So those that live with love also live with him... even if they don't know it

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by mbartelsm

Reasonable concerns, but you've been talking to the wrong people.

for example: if a person has been righteous both in hearth and in actions, yet he or she does not believe in the Christian god, or Jesus, either because he or she feel the same way that I do or because they never had the chance to even learn about that religion, then they are going to hell (according to EVERY SINGLE Christian I have ever asked about this)

There's something in the Catholic Catechism that addresses this problem, and it's the real deal. Official teaching. In an ideal world every Catholic would know it.

Those who die for the faith, those who are catechumens (people studying to join the Church), and all those who without knowing of the Church but acting under the inspiration of grace, seek God sincerely and strive to fuufill His will, can be saved even if they have not been baptized."
The Church teaches that you don't even have to know Jesus' name or be baptized to be saved. Now, granted those are unusual conditions, but it still happens a lot.

Hmmm, I love how this is said, but Christians also say that the ONLY way to go to Heaven is to repent your sins and mean it, and another ONLY way is belief in Jesus. They should have proof-read the Bible before they published it

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by domasio

for example: if a person has been righteous both in hearth and in actions, yet he or she does not believe in the Christian god, or Jesus, either because he or she feel the same way that I do or because they never had the chance to even learn about that religion, then they are going to hell (according to EVERY SINGLE Christian I have ever asked about this)

There's something in the Catholic Catechism that addresses this problem, and it's the real deal. Official teaching. In an ideal world every Catholic would know it.

Those who die for the faith, those who are catechumens (people studying to join the Church), and all those who without knowing of the Church but acting under the inspiration of grace, seek God sincerely and strive to fuufill His will, can be saved even if they have not been baptized."
The Church teaches that you don't even have to know Jesus' name or be baptized to be saved. Now, granted those are unusual conditions, but it still happens a lot.

Hmmm, I love how this is said, but Christians also say that the ONLY way to go to Heaven is to repent your sins and mean it, and another ONLY way is belief in Jesus. They should have proof-read the Bible before they published it

to believe in Jesus is to believe in Love...

He said it... read it for yourself

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Originally posted by domasio

to believe in Jesus is to believe in Love...

He said it... read it for yourself

I never said it wasn't??

I never even mentioned love ...

I have read the Bible, many times, I studied it extensively in school and also out of school, and every time I go over it, I read nothing but contradictions and slaughter in "the name of God."

Why can't I post something about Christianity without a Christian coming along and simply stating "read the Bible" ?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by domasio

The Bible was not written by God, it was inspired. Anything saying that God is evil (jealous, slaughtering, deceiving) is not inspired... Only the God is love part and when God does loving things...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by domasio

I'm not a Christian my friend....

And God didn't write the bible... so you can't hold him responsible for what you read in every circumstance

edit on 16-1-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I believe in the force....... so may the force be with us all!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7thsignofthezodiac
I believe in the force....... so may the force be with us all!

And what is the force? You did not explain it. It is a substitution for God? If so, what is God? If not, what is the force?
edit on 16-1-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I wish god would just show us who he is and it would make everything so much easier instead of everyone bickering and guessing!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmartinez
I wish god would just show us who he is and it would make everything so much easier instead of everyone bickering and guessing!!!

If you don't want to bicker and guess, you don't have to. No one is forcing you to.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
God reveals Himself to those who love the truth and seek Him. It's easy not to care about truth or God.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I've always said this.

Religion is a con.

The perfect con is a con that goes so far back and fools so many people, that as time goes on, people can't believe it's a con, because if it were, there'd be no way it has gone on so long, and has fooled so many people.

Religion is that con. It goes so far back, and has fooled so many people, that people now a days automatically believe it's true, because they think there's no way it could be a con if it goes so far back and fooled so many people.

Religion is the perfect con.

I believe in some sort of creator, for sure, but I refuse to call it "God", and I refuse to try to give it a story and meaning, as it's better to leave it as it is, and enjoy what we know and love. It owes me nothing, and I owe it nothing, I live a good honest life, and after that, whatever happens, happens.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It only matters what you believe. Everything else is just hearsay and opinion. Don't even bother asking others, because they don't know either.

I would suggest using your own logic and reason to come to a decision rather than blindly jump to a conclusion based on what someone else told you. Their beliefs don't pertain to you.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme

reply to post by AtlantisX99

What if God was eternal and didn't require a Creator?

What if the universe was eternal and didn't require a Creator?

Good question, but not possible. Our universe is restricted by certain laws. One of these laws is time. Everything we see happen in the universe happens because of the notion of "cause and effect". Since God created these laws he is not bound by them and there for did not need to be created, he is outside the realm of time.
edit on 15-1-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

Yes possible. Possible and likely.

Our Universe in its current state is restricted by laws. There is no reason to believe it was restricted by any laws in its initial state, prior to the big bang.

If creation is evidence of a creator, then God must have a creator too. You're trying to create a double-standard and anyone remotely intelligent will see right through that.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

or because they never had the chance to even learn about that religion

Says in the bible a person who never knows god will go to heaven, im not sayin everyone like murderers and things I dont know just telling you what I've heard before.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
There is only one god.......ODIN.Nuff said.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

One Catholic I know said that heaven or hell is not dependent on what you believe or do, but is completely upto God's discretion. If he is right, you may end up in heaven regardless of your belief or actions. You may find heaven to be not unlike this world too

I met quite a few "true believers" of many faiths and am quite happy with the possibility of my not having an eternity of their company

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Observor

That is one of the stranger things I have heard. It certainly isn't Catholic teaching. It also takes Justice from God. If your belief and behavior makes no difference to the afterlife, then why not steal all you can now, and do what you want regardless of its impact on others?

It also contradicts New Testament teachings, and Jesus' words. No, I can't understand your friend's position at all and wonder where he got it from.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join