It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shuttle Mission STS-48 - UFO exhibits changes in velocity vector (Flightpath Tracking Enhancements)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Im guessing this has probably made a pass through on ATS at some point, but not sure if this enhancment has been posted up.

I realize that Lunacognita has many fans as well as many ummm non fans. I am posting this because personally I think the enhancement certainly gives one to go hmmm about, and secondly, I really want to learn how the debunkers will tackle this..

This is what the poster, producer, of the video has to say about it:

The brief segment of footage we will be examining here was shot back in 1991 during shuttle mission STS-48. In this case, the footage shows an unidentified object that initially enters the field-of-view at the bottom center of frame. The object in question that I focus on can be seen experiencing deviations in flightpath shortly after it becomes visible, so in order to better delineate those non-ballistic movements, I show several flightpath tracking and trace enhancements here that allow for an accurate look at the changes in velocity vector that the object experiences as it traverses across the FOV.

Now I leave it up to you if you wish to check it out or not.
(Also out of respect, left title unchanged out of respect)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

It kind of behaves like a water droplet on the glass, but it is interesting how it starts dead center in, and travels partially up the markers.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well it's certainly looks like it changes directs. To be honest I haven't got a clue what it is but I'm guess it one of two things.

1st: Space debris being 'knocked' on a different coarse.

2nd: A ship pilot by intelligence.

ALS

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
The secondary object that comes into view at a higher rate of speed after the first object veered off to the right . hmmm Right of way ?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
If it was just debris it would be most interesting to know what knocked it off course. It's a very radical change of course too, what can that be if not something intelligently controlled ?
How many undeniably anomalous objects have been found in shuttle videos now? What is going on up there ?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Interesting.
S & F

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I hope I don't sound like an idiot but is this earth?
and why no concern over the first object that flies in from left to right just as the other leaves the planet?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I doubt we'll ever know 100% for sure, but the most likely of explanation I think would be small particles jostled around a bit from a booster. Although, it does look other worldly a bit though!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well, here's what I think is happening. I think the apparent sudden changes in direction are an illusion caused by the vertical lines in the image. Notice the sudden sharp turns occur as the object passes into and out of that region of the image.

The fact that it appears to change direction at all isn't unprecedented for satellites. I made this animation a few years ago using Celestia. It shows how an object in orbit can appear to change direction when viewed from another object in orbit. So I think it could easily be a satellite or a piece of space junk.

You can actually see several objects appear to change direction in this animation, not just the highlighted one.
edit on 15-1-2012 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

Thats a great suggestion! I wasn't terribly convinced with what I guessed, but I think your theory is reasonably sound. Nice one :-D

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
If it is space debris, it wouldn't have to be knocked off course to appear the way it does in the video.

A majority of the objects you see are probably stationary, and their apparent movement is caused by the movement of the shuttle as it passes the objects. However, that one object that that appears to change direction could have been moving perpendicular to the space shuttle's direction as the shuttle passed it, and the further away from the shuttle camera it got, the slower it appeared to be moving in that direction, and this caused the object to appear to move on a curved path on the camera.

When objects are close to a camera they appear to move fast, and when they are further from a camera they appear to move slow. So when the object was close to the camera, it appeared to be moving fast toward the top left corner of the video, but as the camera moved away from the object it's motion in that direction appeared to decrease, and the further away the object got from the camera the more stationary it appeared, which caused it to appear to curve and then appear like all the other stationary objects floating by the moving shuttle.

Hard to explain in words without a graphical explanation. I'm sure this can be replicated on a camera or in 3D software which utilizes 3D cameras. It could all be a trick of perspective.
edit on 15-1-2012 by is0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Sorry but I think you are all wrong. This is not the main camera moving or changin aspect as the Earth stays exactly where it is. These are objects probably leaving Earth and venturing off to their cloaked / hidden mother ship.

I suspect the one that changes direction and follows the scope guide is being a bit cheeky by flouting the galactic non-interference policy. He's just shy of getting reprimanded for doing this I bet, but his actions remind me of many stories where UFOs seemingly harass cars driving along deserted highways at night. It's the same kind of cheekiness.

"Here I am. Catch me if you can. Now you see me now you don't" child's game. That "object knew exactly how it would be seen by the feudal monkeys. And THAT, as far as I'm concerned, is a mark of playful intelligence. Water droplets. Yeah, right. Maybe a deep space water droplet being psychokinetically manipulated by an Alien.

Great post.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

It's an interesting clip when I was expecting to see the usual STS-48 'UFO' footage.

Luna only just uploaded it so it's box-fresh as far as ATS is concerned - thanks for posting it.

The object certainly appears to change direction and we'd need to see what the shuttle was doing if we can get the time of this event. If the RCS thrusters had been fired to alter the shuttle's position (pitch, yaw etc), some particles (e.g. ice) would be pushed away or otherwise disrupted from their dance around the shuttle's mass.

There's a good chance Jim Oberg will be along shortly and add details of the timings for the thrusters.

Luna has added a statement that warns viewers not to get too carried away...

Of course, the term "UFO" does not necessarily mean "Alien Spacecraft". These objects can be accurately referred to as being "UFOs" because that is exactly what they are. They are anomalous, unknown objects that are clearly flying free in space that cannot be identified as being any form of known man-made structure or known celestial object. We do not know what they are, how they got there, where they came from, where they are going, or what they are doing there. By definition, that makes them "UFOs".

For the time being, the object in this specific video remains unidentified; in the past, Luna sometimes settled for 'UFO' when others would have said 'IFO.'

SnF for posting it and a nod to Luna for making it.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by objectman
Sorry but I think you are all wrong. This is not the main camera moving or changin aspect as the Earth stays exactly where it is. These are objects probably leaving Earth and venturing off to their cloaked / hidden mother ship.

You do realize the shuttle is moving probably about 7500 miles per hour above Earth, right? So these could be debris that are not moving at all, and the shuttle is flying past them. Some could even be colliding with the shuttle and bouncing off in odd directions.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It's an ice crystal, just like all the other ice crystals.

There are a lot of thrusters on a Shuttle. 44, I think. And them firing actually causes the ice debris. One fires.. the ice takes off. Another fires, and it changes direction. Not rocket surgery. Of course, I don't think all dots are ice. The video of the dots forming something very close to a circle is amazing, and not ice imo. Once you accelerate something, it keeps going. If something stops.. it's not ice or debris.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I'd wager to guess its an optical distortion near the edge of the window, or edge of the camera lens, I'd be more willing to say the edge of the window. I know they have double pane windows, I'm not sure if the inside or outside is curved near the seals, but even if they are not the thickness of the optical path would be greater near the outer frame of view.

That's what immediately struck me.

I have double pane windows in my house, its hard to see clearly through the very edges at an angle. I only have a tiny space between the two panes, I'm sure the Shuttle has a bigger gap between the two panes. Basic light through a prism, or water effect.

It only seemed to curve at the extreme edge of view, straitened out accordingly as the angle of perspective flattened out.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by is0ne

Originally posted by objectman

You do realize the shuttle is moving probably about 7500 miles per hour above Earth, right?

Actually in low earth orbit it has to go 17,500 mph to maintain orbit. It needs thrust to raise its orbit but a higher orbit doesn't require as much speed to maintain. The Shuttle is usually 190 to 300 miles up so it has to go the faster speed. An orbit is a free fall, speed keeps you missing the earth, slow down too low and gravity will pull you down, then the atmospheric drag will really slow you down.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by horseplay
I hope I don't sound like an idiot but is this earth?
and why no concern over the first object that flies in from left to right just as the other leaves the planet?

Space UFO's 101: an object flying straight can be classed as debris but an object that turns could give the possibility of control.

ALS

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
If the RCS thrusters had been fired to alter the shuttle's position (pitch, yaw etc), some particles (e.g. ice) would be pushed away or otherwise disrupted from their dance around the shuttle's mass.

There's a good chance Jim Oberg will be along shortly and add details of the timings for the thrusters.
Good post...reaction control thrusters firing and changing the direction is one possibility.

The first thing Oberg will ask is what is the date/mission time when this footage was made so we can look it up, put in context, etc.

One other possibility depending on the shuttle's altitude, is the motion could be the result of atmospheric drag if the altitude is low enough. The trajectory appears nearly parabolic at first until the final trajectory which trails the spacecraft, a direction which would be consistent with atmospheric drag, and since the shuttle has a much different surface area to mass ratio than a tiny ice particle, it reacts to atmospheric drag quite differently. Then the question would be what was the reason for the original direction of the particle, and that could have been from a thruster firing.

In any case, we see parabolic motions all the time in space videos. We need something other than a straight line or parabolic motion to suggest intelligent control.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I'm still extremely busy chasing the missing Fobos-Grunt probe [do NOT believe the official Russian claim it fell safely into the Pacific off Chile], so please forgive the lack of response.

I do want to remind folks that I now don't believe ANY of the stuff observed from shuttles was ever 'space junk' in the sense of other stuff floating around out there. It all seems to be self-generated stuff off of, or out of, the shuttle itself.

This, from my draft FAQ on 'astronaut UFO myths':

Q: How much of it is “space junk”?
A: Very little, actually – if you use the standard definition of “space junk” to mean other satellites and pieces off of them, which constitute an impact hazard to human space missions and automated satellites as well. Because all orbiting objects are moving at tremendous speeds in different directions, when they do pass closely to each other, they zip past at several miles per second. Thus they are extremely difficult to detect visually. Astronauts have observed other distant satellites, but not often, and I have never found a single case of a nearby object turning out to be a passing satellite in independent orbit. Anything that was seen over a period of time longer than a few seconds would have to have been something closely following the observer, and thus associated with the vehicle from which the observation was being made. Now, that's unless it was somebody else’s vehicle deliberately keeping pace, of course. But "space junk" as we commonly use the term? Hardly ever, maybe never.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join