It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love Ron Paul but one thing terrifies me about him

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Ron Paul has a very weak foreign policy.

You can want peace all day long. You can want your problems to go away all you want too. Doesnt mean they will.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12

You can want peace all day long. You can want your problems to go away all you want too. Doesnt mean they will.

our economy will go away much faster than our enemies; his foreign policy will save the nation.

What has our current foreign policy done?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
reply to post by sarra1833

If you listen to Dr. Paul, he specifically answers your question.
If he made it into office, he wouldn't immediately end gov't aid.
He knows how many people are dependent on it and knows that it will take time.
Just cutting it completely is beyond ludicrous.
The transition would be slow and take years.

His entire campaign revolves around the fact that if there were more jobs, there would be no need for gov't assistance.

Magical thinking, can anyone tell me when this country has been at 100% employment?

Answer;

Never

This is the modern world... People get in accidents, become brain damaged, paralyzed,
terminally ill, get between jobs, go to school, get stabbed while they were being mugged,
fall off the bus, eat a bad taco, fall down a flight of stairs, have a child who get cancer at
the age of five...

Ron Paul and the lot of you are blind and extremely ignorant in regards to what the OP points out.

Helping people who are in a bad spot is hardly what is wrong with this country.

Any recall the last president to practice Ron Pauls welfare policies? Hover, the Great Depression
edit on 15-1-2012 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

You do know how Rome fell yes? You dont ever do what Rome did and take an inactive approach to the world around you.

America will become the new Rome if we sit inside our borders.

There are simply to many people that have no idea of Military History.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

You do know how Rome fell yes? You dont ever do what Rome did and take an inactive approach to the world around you.

Mean while we have military bases in over 2/3 of the countries on Earth...

What are you talking about?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I think you can considerably credit over expansion of the Roman empire to the falling of Rome; not too different from policing the world.

If you think this country will survive spending 10's of trillions of dollars on war efforts then you are delusional.

Remember what AL QUIDA did to USSR.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Another important thing to remember on this topic is that Paul has no problem with the states handling these kinds of programs themselves, Sara (even if he might feel it's a bad idea for various fiscal or other reasons. Eh.). And if any decent number of Paul's views were actually implemented, the people and the states would both likely be saving quite a bit more money to make things like this more tenable.

For a decent review from the man himself, please check out his article My Plan for a Freedom President, discussed and linked in the thread of same name in my signature.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Ron Paul is a very weak foreign policy.

You might want to clarify that view, as it seems to me you don't understand Paul's foreign policy well. Cutting military spending back to just 2005 levels - which I believes still leaves us outspending anyone else in the world - and not having an aggressive foreign policy that actually engenders hostility and stimulates aggression against us, while bleeding us out financially, is not a mark of weakness.

Paul merely seeks to return american foreign policy to what it once was, actually defending us from attack in the first place and responding overwhelmingly to any actual attacks we fall victim to. Our CURRENT foreign policy makes us more likely to suffer from the problems you mention.

Oh, the irony of this response...seeing as how the fall of Rome began in large part with the over-extension of the empire as well as the debasement of their currency by trimming gold from their coinage. We're doing the exact same things today, and we'll fall every bit as surely as they did if we keep it up.

Why do you THINK Rome became less active in the world? They could no longer afford or maintain such due to what I just mentioned. Their weakening of themselves opened them up to invasion by the barbarian hordes, and their being thus weakened as well as spread too thinly to effectively respond played a large part in their gradual eating-away by outside influence.

All roads lead to Rome, they say, as surely does the one we're on right now.
edit on 1/15/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Dude, 68 grand for an online degree will only earn you a pile of debt, you are getting ripped, no one hires anyone with "online" degrees

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The current system that has created your suffering if continued will be overwhelmed as intended and result in no support of the kind you are receiving. Ron Paul is the only candidate has a chance of saving the country. For the record he has no agenda of ending the programs until such time as people like you are on their feet by allowing you the freedom unfetered by government to acheive. Ayn Rand aptly described where we are today. Substitute "federal government and their crony capitalists" in the quote for "men" and you will see where we are.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged"

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Originally posted by sarra1833

The fact that the man wants to stop food stamps, housing, medicare etc. If it weren't for those aids, my son and I would be screwed, homeless and dead.

You're a victim of rhetoric and recycled fallacies about Ron Paul. You claim to be 'terrified' yet for no reason and you haven't sourced the reason for you fear.

I know Ron's policies like the back of my hand and NOWHERE has he said he wants to take these things away as an abrupt or initial act of Presidency.

1) food stamps: he has said publicly that people on them would be devastated if they went without them, He has no intention of halting it until the economy (under him) gets to normal levels, and only then will he seek to fix or revise the program.

2) Housing: Is a Federal Agency HUD.

www.ronpaul2012.com...

Look at his proposed budget there. Go toward the top and look under "Department Of Housing and Development". See those ZEROS? That means he plans no cuts to the Agency.

3) On Medicaid/Medicare, etc. Listen to his own words.

www.youtube.com...

He wants to PHASE it out. He can't and won't just 'cut it'. And this is only AFTER massive cuts in militarism which is to the tune of Trillions.

4)

"I hear he wants to stop school loans as well."

Please explain. As far as I know he thinks that it's the GOVERNMENT which inflates school loan costs and education costs. I've never heard him say he wants to end school loans. In fact NO President can make a law like that. It's not even a Federal issue. If you mean the DOE, that's another story.

Now as far as his economic policy goes:

If you take ONE remedy of his he has proposed, which is a ZERO% Income Tax, this entire nation would EXPLODE financially overnight. You would have massive consumption and investment, job creation, entrepreneurship with less of a risk because of a strong growth. Other nations would follow suit because Americans would be 'Bullish" on products and services internationally.

It would be a worldwide economic boom. New Industries would come up because buyer and investor confidence would be at an all tie high. People would save more and spend more simultaneously. The National average of unemployment would go to 'nominal' levels within a year's time, in theory, which is hovering around a 2-3%.

And THAT is just ONE remedy.

Take inflation caused by the Printing of money. Imagine if the USD had more buying power hedged against world currencies and compared to inflation today. Imagine the investment then, and with that comes JOBS and PRODUCTION.

America under Ron Paul economically would be a strong BUY (in Stock terms).

The current American Keynesian model of economics has failed miserably. Nothing is getting "better". It's only because election season is going on so the media isn't really staying focused on financials. And the "Stock Market" or NYSE reports say NOTHING about economic health.

Central planning and monetary policy by way of the Fed is going to TANK this country soon. We are on borrowed time and sitting on a time bomb. Obama has done nothing, Bush did nothing, and no other Presidential candidate has any real remedy, which needs to be drastic, because we are more in Debt. and our Credit ratings are more JUNK than being reported.

If we go on, we're doomed sooner or later, no matter which of the other Candidates we vote for. They are all trying to work in the confines of Debt based/Keynesian based economics.

It's not going to work.

edit on 15-1-2012 by PaxVeritas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
from the official campaign site

ENTITLEMENTS:

Honors our promise to our seniors and veterans, while allowing young workers to opt out. Block grants Medicaid and other welfare programs to allow States the flexibility and ingenuity they need to solve their own unique problems without harming those currently relying on the programs.

www.ronpaul2012.com...

So basically, he will not (at least in the first term) shut down welfare programs. Instead, he will issue block grants to states and allow them to run the programs in the way that suits their population best.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'd be more worried about the mans foreign policy (or really lack thereof) if I were you.

Food-stamps won't do you much good if he were to let Iran get a nuke and start WW3 by wiping Israel off the map (like they have promised to do).

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
I'd be more worried about the mans foreign policy (or really lack thereof) if I were you.

Food-stamps won't do you much good if he were to let Iran get a nuke and start WW3 by wiping Israel off the map (like they have promised to do).

You would rather WE start WW3 by attacking Iran with no provocation or attack?

Ron Paul has already said that if Iran tests a nuclear missle or is proven to have built one, then actions would be taken to ensure that they cannot use nuclear weapons on anyone. Until then, we should remember the lessons we learned from Iraq (anyone remember the big WMD cache discovered there? Anyone? didn't think so)

His foreign policy is the only one that makes sense. Stay the hell out of other people's business. Do we really think that Iran will be able to attack the US? Do we really think that any of Iran's leadership would survive if they chose to detonate a nuclear weapon on Israel?

And yet people STILL want to put our soldiers in harms way unnecessarilly just to pump up our national ego... or are we just "terrified" of the monsters under the bed, still?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
That is a valid concern, but in all honesty, with Ron Paul in office, I believe that he would quickly have this country turned around in a way that anyone who needs a job would have one and with that, there would be no need for food stamps anymore.
editby]

And how is he going to do this? Wave a magic wand?

On the topic at hand, its not that he wants to remove those safety nets, he just wants the fed out of it it would be then all the state's hands to handle however they want. But I do see your concern. If your state may do way with it, but if your state isn't then you have nothing to fear, do you have any inclination what your state would do??
If they are anti programs you may want to relocate ahead of time.
edit on 15-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: speling

edit on 15-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: quote fix

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I"ll have to check my State definitely to find out. Something I haven't thought of until you brought it up. Thank you.

And again, everyone, I'm very pro Paul. I was just confused about that one issue of his.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I think the point of this is that if you get sick, then you should pay for the treatment, because you made the stupid decision to eat junk rather than healthy, smoke, drink etc.

Basically, take responsibility for your life, and don't expect a Government to pick up the pieces if you make stupid choices that affect your financial or health situation.

Even if you didn't have money, you could quite easily forage for food
(NOT sarcasm)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Debunked. Ahamadinejad NEVER said that. His speech was translated by scholars in Farsi and he never said "Wipe Israel off the Map". You're parroting a meme that was debunked YEARS ago.

Also, you, the CIA, the AIEA, the U.N. and all the 'official' agencies have no evidence Iran is trying to obtain or has Nukes currently. There is only evidence they are trying to obtain energy grade uranium, as they are allowed, as a member of the Non Proliferation Treaty.

If these official agencies have no evidence, how are YOU privy to this secret knowledge?

Answer: You aren't. You're touting a meme.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
looks like this question is being well-fielded.. also wanted to point out, because you mentioned him wanting to "stop school loans", he means federal loans. It doesn't mean the private sector won't step up and offer loans for people who desire an education. They will. Just like if we got rid of the US post office, FedEx and UPS would step up and pick up the slack.The private sector would do a better job with student loans and it would curb tuition costs, which have skyrocketed due to the student loan bubble caused by the government.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Figures that your avatar is as such. I'll never be able to understand why the majority of Christians are such war-lovers..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join