It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love Ron Paul but one thing terrifies me about him

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The fact that the man wants to stop food stamps, housing, medicare etc. If it weren't for those aids, my son and I would be screwed, homeless and dead. I hate being on the stuff but the other day had no choice but to turn in an app for housing here in Southern Illinois. I live in THE poorest county in Illinois and have been trying hard to find work for the past ... since Nov 2010. Each job that opens, 300 apply and you just do not get hired. Factories here put out ads for a 100 position slot and they get thousands from Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky coming to file aps. The lines are hours long to get to fill out the apps. So it's not for lack of trying. But what are people to do, the honest people who have worked their entire lives like me, who lost their jobs and cant get unemployment and have to be on food stamps, have to go for housing now cuz all the funds are gone finally, and etc? If Ron takes that away, there's going to be tons of death. I'm in online college working on my bachelors which tuition is 68,000 dollars. I hear he wants to stop school loans as well.

All the good about Ron but these things here are immense to me. I've been in the 'well off' side of life where I wasn't wanting for money between paychecks (Still working fast food but still, I was never without money in the bank EVER, and I'm talking 800 to 1000 in the bank at any time), and now I'm in the 'omg we're screwed' side of life where I had to swallow my pride and self respect and get gov't help. Friends had to beg me to get on it all because of the hate people get from others.

Anyway. I'm just saying, it's GOOD to want to wean people off the system and govt aid - BUT we have to have jobs open first. We have to get it back to how it was in 1992. I could go fill out 20 apps, come home and the next day have to decide which of the 19 who called me for immediate hire I wanted to work for. Until we get it back like that again, we can't just yank this gov't help from people.

I'm AS AGAINST those who misuse the help, mind you. I cant STAND people like that lady with 18 kids who said in the video "SOMEone's gotta pay for all this. Someone's gotta pay for my kids." yeah. YOU do, lady. And those habitual generational abusers of this aid, they gotta get some work ethics and skills. But for those of us who have rotten luck and exhausted all our resources and who are now having to bite their tongue, leave their home of ages and move to housing... HOUSING..... and be on food stamps, it's freakin' embarassing as much as it is a GODSEND..... but yeah. He can't just take that all away. There has to be jobs a plenty first. There has to be, else we're going to see some stuff we just haven't seen before. Desperate people will do bad things and that terrifies me.

I went from having smart phones for me and my kid, best satellite tv one had to offer, best internet, top line plans on all, able to buy anything we wanted online, pay all bills and rent and get food with no worries, to losing my job and now to having to go on stamps and apply for HOUSING. Family won't help. Once you move out, you're on your own. So that's NO option. edit to add, I have one pay as you go phone for jobs only, no tvs in the house, the lowest net plan so i can still run my adobe cs4 and do what i need to do for school. We have nothing. The only bill I have now is rent, electric and net. and 20 here and there for the pay as you go. so we are not living it up. heck, i barely get to wash clothing but once a month at the laundromat

Life both terrifies me and depresses me. Yet I don't give up. I keep applying. I DO have a job with the school as a substitute janitor. Thing is, it's only when someone is sick. So they could be healthy for months. At least I have a foot in the door. If /when someone leaves/quits/gets fired/moves on, I'll get the job. And it's 40 a week minimum. Just waiting for that day to happen is hard. And being a sub is only min wage. :/ But it's a start.
edit on 15-1-2012 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
That is a valid concern, but in all honesty, with Ron Paul in office, I believe that he would quickly have this country turned around in a way that anyone who needs a job would have one and with that, there would be no need for food stamps anymore.

The typical politicians we have had in office for awhile now have been doing EVERYTHING to SELL-OUT and DESTROY this country. And if a decent man like Ron Paul were in, a man with Americas best interest in heart, the BS selling-out and destroying of America would cease and the outcome would be INCREDIBLE in the least.

It just will take a man in office who will STOP DESTROYING and SELLING-OUT this country.
edit on 15-1-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Hey! Do you happen to have any links about his stance on government assistance? I can only find biased ones.
I feel ya though. My son has a chronic health issue that I would not be able to afford without medicaid.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
He's not going to make cuts to social programs until the economy drastically changes with plenty of opportunity out there for everyone.

People would be amazed at how much the government spends just to police the world & how much our currency is debased by waste, fraud, disorganization of Govt.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I was just telling someone that. I was saying you'd think if the debt is SO bad, they would stop sending jobs overseas. Putting jobs here would get us 'Useless Eaters' (as we're all dubbed because of the bad rep the Generational Welfare Abusers have giving everyone as a whole) back on our financial feet, the aid could stop fully and all that money would go back to paying off this stupid debt.

I know the gov't planned it this way. It's sad, sick, wrong, unfair and cold.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Just caught this on Moxnews :

www.youtube.com...

Great idea if it was legal !
edit on 15-1-2012 by lambros56 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
link   

If you listen to Dr. Paul, he specifically answers your question.
If he made it into office, he wouldn't immediately end gov't aid.
He knows how many people are dependent on it and knows that it will take time.
Just cutting it completely is beyond ludicrous.
The transition would be slow and take years.

His entire campaign revolves around the fact that if there were more jobs, there would be no need for gov't assistance. So, I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that it will just abruptly end...

But, I think you need to further your research into his campaign.
I wouldn't want you to fall into the category that the MSM wants you in.
The "Dr. Paul is dangerous" category....

link   
Valid concern but; Ron Paul has specifically stated he will not be touching these programs that the poor/lower class depend on. Including SS, Medicare, HeadStart, etc. Instead he will cut the militarism spending and blown-out-of-proportion bureaucratic agencies. At least then he can put the spending into our own country for things that actually matter & which the American people depend on.

There will be a phase-out for entitlements in which he allows the younger generation to opt out; but this will in no way affect those currently on medicare, etc. Also, he has stated he will not begin to de-federalize the programs without consent of the American people; and if/when we feel it is time to wean off the welfare state these programs can be privatized/localized.

Hope I've adressed your concern Sara; have a wonderful week. =]

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

If you Listen to him Carefully on those Issues , you he will hear him say he wants to Faze them Out over Time , not Discontinue them immediately if he became our next President . He mentions the same thing about Social Security and wants to give the People under 53 Today the Choice of Opting Out of the System and then looking for Alternatives to them in the Private Sector Free Market .

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I am of mixed mind about things like government assistance.

On the one hand, I remember stories from my grandmother about how poor her family was while growing up in the great depression and while she worked hard as an adult and did alright for herself (her husband, my grandfather passed away at a young age) I realize how tough that was. I also know very well my own struggles getting started in life and while I didn't rely on government assistance, I did rely on my family tremendously. If government assistance was not in place, -- I would certainly petition that it should be provided as a way of helping people in need through the gaps in employment or when drastic life circumstances bring us to such need.

On the flip side -- reality is, the government can only provide so much support before the system collapses in on itself. So many people are born and raised in the ghettos of America that they believe welfare is something they have a privileged right too. Instead of using it to help transition to a better place, people forgo real work because they earn more, or at least earn enough, on welfare without actually having to do real work. And in a few cases, you get crack pots who need real help and instead of getting it, they run away using welfare as a means of floating by.

It would be tough to balance these ideas when they are at such odds against each other but ultimately we need to do so. We should be able to provide a helping hand to those who need it while at the same time preventing the gross abuses that would drag such a situation down.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

He's been very patient so far. I don't see him making hasty decisions.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
He also believes everyone should pay for medical care but on numerous occasions has said he has never turned anyone away from getting the help they need. He also delivered thousands of babies free of charge hasn't he? While his ideals for governance seem at times callous he is a very sympathetic man. Like mentioned in an earlier post, he wouldn't leave folks high and dry. His is more a phase out of the old and then phase in of the new concept. He said if overseas policing cost so many trillion he would put half on the deficit and the other half would go back to the people. You would be amazed at what would happen if untold trillions were funneled back from overseas and into the local economies.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
This is very sad to read, I hope you can get your life back on rails.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I understand your concern and am not surprised that you're misinformed.The media have put out a deluge of misinformation about Ron Paul's policies.

They would like you to believe that he would cut funding for social programs entirely the day after inauguration. As others have pointed out, that is simply a lie. His intention is to gradually phase out federal involvement in social programs and let the states take over management on a state-by-state basis. His reasoning is that it will be easier for the people to effect changes that might be needed at a state level rather than a federal level.

I feel your pain, my friend. I live in Iowa just north of Davenport. I will have been out of work for one year at the end of this month. I am currently on food stamps and housing subsidies. Fortunately, My children are grown, so I only have myself to fend for. Unfortunately, one of my sons lost his job about two years ago and the other just last spring. Both due to plant closings. Jobs are few and people to fill them are many.

Don't give up hope. They say it's always darkest before the dawn.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Thanks all. I feel better now. I've been a HUGE Ron Paul supporter since he was running for 2008. Was a Precinct Leader, even was going to Delegate til he dropped. So this time around I'm so hyped that he's finally being heard, recognized and is becoming a household name finally. FINALLY.

I just wasn't sure what his stance was on the OP I posted. I was really truly concerned.

Now to get folks to stop buying that racial newsletter thing from 30 years ago. *eyes roll*

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixDown

....people forgo real work because they earn more, or at least earn enough, on welfare without actually having to do real work. And in a few cases, you get crack pots who need real help and instead of getting it, they run away using welfare as a means of floating by.

Oh I so agree with all you wrote. I had to isolate one part though because it always confused me. I have zero income except what a few kind hearted folks have sent my way; strangers to friends who are suffering too, and a small school loan refund I get every 4 months. And yet I only qualify for food stamps. No cash assistance. No bill pay assistance. I live on 'disconnection notices' constantly, paying off just enough to keep it on just another month. I don't know what one has to do to get cash assistance but if these people are living it up great, I'm glad I don't get that. I'd hate to become used to that kind of handout to where if I worked honestly, I'd make less.

I'm NOT dogging unemployment. That's paid in to by each worker who works and it's their private savings they saved up by working, taken out of each person's check. Cant' get unemployment if you haven't worked long enough or maybe you steal or something like that. But those who do, earned it by saving their own money. So I'm not dogging them. It's the same as dogging those who live off their own social security.

I'm dogging the generational welfare cash assistance recipients. That's my focus. I'd not want to live that way. I may be hurting now and limping with a very broken ego, but I'd still happily work min wage as it's income. I'd gladly clean outhouses. It's income. Don't care what it is. Work makes me feel like a human, like I'm someone. Like I'm NEEDED and WANTED.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I am sory to hear your story... and to be honest a lot of others are in the position you are in or worse. the underlying reason why people like you are in this position is because of the economic conditions (Manipulation and rape of the dollar.) by the federal reserve.

But don't count on ron paul ripping your benefits away. He has stated time and time again they he will allow the people currently dependent on the system to remain in that system until they no longer need it. Just like social security and medicare he wants to ween people off this system. (like you have said.) Yea i understand its a scary outlook, but in the long run IMO you'll be better off without it because once the dollar (or replacement currency backed by something solid.) comes into play... jobs and opportunity will once again be available.

again, i am sorry about your situation... no one wants to be in that position.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
don't take this the wrong way please....

But you've been unemployed for a year now, why can't you go in business for yourself? People that rely on others for job security always lose everything first.

My dad and I both started successful businesses in two completely different industries for under $500 start up costs. He started his 20 years ago, I started mine 2 years ago.

I only say this because I don't agree with the mentality: get good grades, go to college, get a good job, get a house.

I had terrible grades and dropped out of high school, I educated myself with books specifically on what trades I wanted to learn.

The system just isn't designed for success if you go with the flow, granted I've been blessed and give the credit to God; but everyone can do this.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

edit on 1/15/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Ron Paul is a very weak foreign policy.

You can want peace all day long. You can want your problems to go away all you want too. Doesnt mean they will.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join