It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-D TVs to have cameras in them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Heard this on a news break last night listening to coast to coast AM, don't know whether it was abc or cnn, but I can't find anything on it now.

I can't remember the details now, but it was something about being able to follow your eyes I think? They also talked about how something allows the signal to go through the lines...

I'm not tech savvy, anyone know more about this, or heard the same story/know where the reports actually are?
edit on 15-1-2012 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I expect the Samsung Smart TVs will have cameras in too, as they support things like Skype and from what I've seen can be controlled using gestures like Kinect. Luckily, with Kinect, unless it's mounted you can swivel it round when not using it hehe.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
not to mention they will also have Wi-Fi tech as well, most of the newer brands have them.

so lets see, TV's with cameras and internet capabilities....hummmmhmmmmm, tele-screens operational.

WHATS NEXT? 2 minutes of hate???

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Data can be sent through power cables, but its range is limited to a few hundred metres.

My 3D TV (Panasonic Vierra) has a camera attachment for using Skype, I would imagine if they start integrating them into TVs it will be for nothing more than just that or similar, and the data is sent via LAN or WiFi using your standard internet connection.
edit on 15/1/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Every day starts with physical exercise. A fit worker is a productive and happy worker...

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
here's one report, not as detailed as what I heard last night, but I'll keep looking...

Voice-activated TVs debut at consumer electronics show

LAS VEGAS (CNN) - The 2012 International Consumer Electronics show is one of the largest consumer technology trade shows in the world and even with thousands of exhibitors, the biggest draws are always the televisions.

This year is no exception. The new trend is a TV you can talk to.

Samsung's new TVs are controlled by voice, physical gestures and facial recognition.

"What we've done is we've built a camera right into the TV. You can surge the web by moving your hand around. You can point to click," Ethan Rasiel with Samsung said...

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

Ehhh, who cares.
If you need a 3d hd r2 d2 television in your home, maybe you are in touch with the new world order and do not care or worry about your rights.
Just leave me alone as long as I can watch american idiot or my favorite chef be a tough guy...
Tough guy chef???

Reality tv is the bane of humanity.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I was against 3D TV until I bought this one, the active shutter glasses are much better than the passive ones (and more expensive too sadly, £80 a pair).

Playing Microsoft flight simulator through it is an experience in itself.

I am now pro 3D, lol.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Data can be sent through power cables, but its range is limited to a few hundred metres.

My 3D TV (Panasonic Vierra) has a camera attachment for using Skype, I would imagine if they start integrating them into TVs it will be for nothing more than just that or similar, and the data is sent via LAN or WiFi using your standard internet connection.

please, show me a study, ANY study that states data can be sent through a standard power line ANY distance with electricity flowing in the opposite direction...

i think you are making stuff up...

and everyone else, if you are worried about being spied on (NO NOT USE WIFI IN YOUR HOUSE)... lol.. its kind of common sense...

to my knowledge the camera inside the TV will follow your 3d glasses (not your eyes) so that when you move around the room, your perception and angles in the 3d view will change just like real life...

pretty cool stuff...
however, im poor... i won't be getting one... my 1990 sony 19" er is holding up just fine

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by baphomet420

Originally posted by baphomet420

please, show me a study, ANY study that states data can be sent through a standard power line ANY distance with electricity flowing in the opposite direction...

You have to be kidding right?

I use such a device in my home to network to the bedroom PC, through the electrical circuit.

I think you should think, and / or do research into subjects you clearly know nothing about before coming on here and trying to shoot me down.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

You have to be kidding right?

I use such a device in my home to network to the bedroom PC, through the electrical circuit.

I think you should think, and / or do research into subjects you clearly know nothing about before coming on here and trying to shoot me down.

i could say the same thing as you...
you do not know my education...

i stand behind my statement...
you state you are data through a circut in home, i didn't say you cannot do that...
i said that you can not transmit data AGAINST electricity...

if your TV is plugged in, its drawing POWER from the outlet, there is NO WAY that data can be transmitted against that power to get it out of your house...

if you claim this can be done, show me ONE example, you have not done that...

im just dumbfounded that you claim this can be done, yet you are telling me that I need the schooling...
hopefully you just misread what I said...

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Aren't you guys the lest bit concerned about having a camera and microphone in your living room connected to the internet. Big Bro may be watching and listening. Legally, they're supposed to get a warrant, but do you trust 'em?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Yes you can transmit against the power, I have gave you an example, I use one, well two, one in the living room and one in the bedroom, it is still drawing power through the same socket that it is sending AND receiving data.

Try using Google, I'll even give you a hint "power-line adapter".

Your attitude was the reason I replied the way I did, if you had asked how it was possible, rather than stating it was impossible in the manner that you did, I might have been more inclined to explain how the technology works.

To quote you, and why I am not being more helpful to you:

edit on 16/1/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

i could say the same thing as you...
you do not know my education...

i stand behind my statement...
you state you are data through a circut in home, i didn't say you cannot do that...
i said that you can not transmit data AGAINST electricity...

if your TV is plugged in, its drawing POWER from the outlet, there is NO WAY that data can be transmitted against that power to get it out of your house...

if you claim this can be done, show me ONE example, you have not done that...

im just dumbfounded that you claim this can be done, yet you are telling me that I need the schooling...
hopefully you just misread what I said...

Oooh oooh! Can't believe I missed this beauty! Well here are 2 pages of examples that send data out 'against' the electricity. They get their power from the mains and send the data out the same way to network to other powerline network adapters in the house. It's not even very complicated! You have a far too simplistic view of how things work I'm afraid. I can see where you're coming from though as I would have thought like that once, then I had my 5th birthday.

Powerline Home Networking - PC World

And some light reading:

Power line communication

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I believe its to track a persons position relative to the TV, for a sort of 3d without glasses.

Also, the higher end TVs are beginning to standardize motion control tech for basic controls like channel changing & options ect ect

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
not to mention they will also have Wi-Fi tech as well, most of the newer brands have them.

so lets see, TV's with cameras and internet capabilities....hummmmhmmmmm, tele-screens operational.

WHATS NEXT? 2 minutes of hate???

----------

I love you for that reference!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
ohhh dont worry the cameras are just for viewing angles. ohhh also dont worry about the tsa highway checkpoints they are for your driving angles.

whatever. keep this crap away from me.

also, why is it cool to wear glasses to watch t.v., if i dont need glasses. 3-d has always been lame and it is amazing at the speed at which sheep will eat stuff up. when they get it togethor without the glasses, then ill be interested. ya know some hologram programs or video games. but to roll out some 70s and 80s technology and re-package it to a new generation is really lame. sorta like having no ideas of your own and just remaking a bunch of old movies. ohh wait.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phractal Phil
Aren't you guys the lest bit concerned about having a camera and microphone in your living room connected to the internet. Big Bro may be watching and listening. Legally, they're supposed to get a warrant, but do you trust 'em?

Don't most people carry internet-enabled cameras and microphones with convenient geolocating trackers in their pockets all day already? And I know there's a camera and a microphone in the computer I'm using to browse the internet right now. Don't see what the big deal would be with adding one more, especially in a room I rarely use in an appliance that's rarely turned on.

top topics

join