It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington D.C. Law says 'can't kill certain rats and mice'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Political Madness in the nation's capital ?

The Wildlife Protection Act of 2010 ( ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA )

states that certain kinds of rats common in the Capital can not be killed by exterminators !!

They must be captured alive and relocated !!

(CNSNews.com) -- Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli says he is worried that a new District of Columbia law that governs how pest control operators must handle rats may result in entire rodent “families” being relocated across the Potomac River into Virginia by D.C. pest control personnel.

Lately, there have been reports of growing rat infestations around the Occupy DC protests at Freedom Plaza and McPherson Square.

The law does not allow pest control professionals “to kill the dang rats,” Cuccinelli told CNSNews.com. “They have to capture them--then capture them in families. [Not sure] how you’re going to figure that out with rats. And then you have to relocate them. That brings us to Virginia. Now, if you don’t relocate them about 25 miles away, according to experts, rodents will find their way back. Well, an easy way to solve that problem is to cross a river, and what’s on the other side of the river? Virginia.”

Lengthy Article explains ...

I wonder if the politicians were protecting themselves as well !

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

In Russia the cats decided to take things into their own hands:

Does the exterminator have to take DNA from these rats or is he supposed to tell what species they are just by looking?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I saw this earlier and thought to myself. "What!? Rats have families? Does Dad rat go to work every day to bring home the cheese?"

I also wonder what Virginia has to say about this?

Virginia is a State, D.C is a District. I'm sure we will be seeing taxpayers money wasted in court before to long.

Just kill the danged things!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Does the exterminator have to take DNA from these rats or is he supposed to tell what species they are just by looking?

I think they should take DNA !!

I wonder how many innocent rats have been killed because of mis-identification by non-experts ?

Same goes for the innocent "families".

They need to spot check the killed victims.

And, I think D.C. would have to outlaw those Russian cats.

Unless of course, they can be genetically modified to identify specific rodents

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Oh for heavensake... is THIS how they spend their time? Coming up with laws to protect rodents???
Stooopid ones too-- carry them away in family groups? Pu-Leaze! Just how is that supposed to play out? That's the most ridiculous... I'm just, I really cannot find the words...

And Virginia. Yeah, they're gonna just sit by while scores of rats are released on their shores? I think not. In fact, all states need to act quickly to create a law prohibiting importation of DC Rats!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Stranger than fiction. From the OP link:

While the law exempts “commensal rodents”--varieties of which most people know (or have seen) as common rats or house mice--the rice rat and deer mouse, which are found in the District, are not defined as commensal and apparently are not exempt from the law.

From this link: enature.com

Endangered Status The Rice Rat, a subspecies of the Marsh Rice Rat, is on the U.S. Endangered Species List. It is classified as endangered in Florida, where it lives in the westerly Keys. This rat historically lived in salt marsh habitat, and its decline came as its habitat was destroyed to make way for residential and commerical development in the Florida Keys. Much of Rice Rat's remaining habitat is within the National Key Deer Refuge, and thus is protected

AND

Description Small grayish Oryzomys with tail about equal to head and body length. Has a dark mid-dorsal stripe, the belly and feet are whitish, and the tail is bicolored.
awwwwww...... for cute. So, while rats and mice are the hated species of the planet, at least we might have a shread of understanding why the Rice Rat is protected -- it's endangered.

HOWEVER....... the Deer Mouse....

Description The most widespread, geographically and ecologically variable mouse in North America. Has large black bulging eyes, relatively large, naked ears, fine, smooth-lying fur, and white feet.

AND

Warning The droppings of the Deer Mouse have been associated with a sometimes fatal illness in humans called hantavirus. Never vacuum or sweep mouse droppings; thoroughly wet the area with a disinfectant, then carefully wipe up the droppings with a wet cloth.

WHAT??? not endandered at ALL!

For me, house rodents are kill on site. It will always be so for me, and I suspect same for nearly everyone else. I'd imagine that PCOs in the above affected area will soon be classifying every rat as Norway Rat or Roof Rat, and every mouse as common house mouse. That's what I'd do in their position, and defy the authorities to test and quantify the rodents as different.

Transport the commensal families across the river!!! Ridiculous. What, put them in little boats with provisions and a prayer? No. You are the queen/king of your castle, rented or not. You have intruders who enter without permission, you are allowed to smite them.

edit on 15/1/12 by argentus because: spellin'

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Well any rat in or on my property is fair game, in fact any of the rodent species.
I myself am not a cat fan but if you are not as well, I have one word for you.
DASCHUND!!!
Yep, German weaponry.

And when that fails, I even have special rat traps I have made!! Abetter mousetrap if you will.
And yes they kill.

Rodents can spread disease and must be wiped out.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
stupid.

yeah don't kill the things that can spread diseases, BLACK PLAGUE ANYONE?

what about you, you freakin hypocrits?
how many mice and rats have you thrown in the dump from failed experiments?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
We had a rat problem out in the barn after we got chickens. We got eight cats and the problem cleared up.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Lately, there have been reports of growing rat infestations around the Occupy DC protests at Freedom Plaza and McPherson Square.

Maybe the Occupiers need cats !

Cats might be exempt from that law !!

new topics

top topics

join