It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Probably Debunkable, But Interesting Nonetheless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I found this audio files page and I thought it was pretty interesting. The poster (from some other board somewhere) who posted the link to it claims that their latest clips are voicemail messages from a prankster spirit that's somehow co-opted a couple different telemarketer's systems and has been harassing them with repeating messages that the telemarketing firms can't explain, nor can they do anything about.

soundcloud.com...

Probably easy enough to fake, but it's the 2nd page of clips where I found some pretty cool environmental "paranormal" sound recordings. Still easy enough to debunk, but the EVP clips were cool. I like how the poster repeats the captured phrases 5 times or so, and lets you get a better sense of them. Maybe someone here has good audio filtering systems and can make out what's being said. That said, most of the EVP stuff sounds like "ghost box" recordings, but then most treasures can be found amidst piles of trash.

What actually caught my ear (inspiring me to present this page of stuff to you crusty skeptics) was this one clip that features the same "wall snaps" that I've been dealing with for a few years now.

soundcloud.com...

The person with the audio site page calls them "empty house snaps", but they do sound very similar to the very sharp, loud and precise snaps that often greet me when I walk into the bedroom loft space of the condo here. There are only 3 snaps on this person's clip, whereas my snaps have begun to cluster in rapid flurries of 4-6. Interestingly, if I get up on a chair to bring my ear closer to the area of the wall, they refuse to snap at all. The longest pause, after an initial flurry, was 30 minutes of me standing on a chair recently and pleading with it to just give me one friggin' snap so I could better place it. Then, as it invariably does, once I'd given up and gotten off the chair, it snapped a few quick ones at me, and pissed me right off.

I posted a thread about these snaps a few weeks ago, and since then I've had the FD inspector in and he had no idea why the snaps are happening either. He climbed up into the crawl space above the room, and like me, he found no source for the snaps at all. At least I know it's not a fire hazard, but beyond that, I'm as stumped as I was before.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Sounds like noise

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
Sounds like noise

Brilliant. Noise is a very broad term, and while you're correct, you're not being very precise concerning the specific nature of the noise. That being the case, I have no idea what you're actually commenting on.

Try again.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

It sounds like static white noise. You could hear whatever you wanted out of any of these. Recorders will pick up background static/electrical interference/ or drafts. To assume that static garble is paranormal is ridiculous.
edit on 1/15/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
OP,
I gave it a quick listen,
was more impressed on how they linked up the sound waves to automatically cycle through.

I also remember your first post on the pops in your home, glad to hear it wasn't a fire related issue.

most the times house settling is do weight and load barring structures having stress on an particular area of the structure.
also ground density and ground settling can cause stress in the base of a structure and the noise you hear is stress of the materials compensating for the settling.

Also remember if it is wood moisture will expand and if dry will contract based on humidity do to seasonal changes. Best example is a pine cone. Get it wet / put it in a bucket of water it will close in a couple days dry it out it will open back up! Most house frames are made of pine.

Steel frame can expand and contract on temperature.

edit on 15-1-2012 by mysteryskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysteryskeptic
OP,
I gave it a quick listen,
was more impressed on how they linked up the sound waves to automatically cycle through.

I also remember your first post on the pops in your home, glad to hear it wasn't a fire related issue.

most the times house settling is do weight and load barring structures having stress on an particular area of the structure.
also ground density and ground settling can cause stress in the base of a structure and the noise you hear is stress of the materials compensating for the settling.

Also remember if it is wood moisture will expand and if dry will contract based on humidity do to seasonal changes. Best example is a pine cone. Get it wet / put it in a bucket of water it will close in a couple days dry it out it will open back up! Most house frames are made of pine.

Steel frame can expand and contract on temperature.

edit on 15-1-2012 by mysteryskeptic because: (no reason given)

Since yesterday, it's started to happen exclusively in 4-8 snap clusters, about 1-3 seconds apart depending on the cluster. All of them are uniform in interval though. I have a really hard time connecting that kind of activity to humidity - especially when it's 15 degrees outside and forced hot air heating inside, for days on end. A friend of mine keeps telling me is has to do with having a programmable thermostat instead of an old fashion kind, and that's really hard to connect with reality as well.

I wish I didn't know anything about electricity or the impact of thermodynamics on building materials and construction, but I learned a lot about thermodynamics as they relate to structures during the 9/11 debates of 6-7 years ago. Lots of intense research into that sort of thing just to survive the years of online forum battles that were just erupting, and as for electricity, I spent 8 years as a ground NAVAIDS technician while in the USAF, so there's no denying reality in that end of the issue either. It took a bachelors degree's worth of technical credits to deal with that stuff at that level, and 90% of it is cross relates to other applications that employ electricity and electronic circuitry.

The truth is that if there was any connection between heat/humidity or the thermostat/heating duct system and these snaps in that small spot on my wall, I wouldn't bother anyone about them. Hell, this isn't even an area of focus for me. I generally spend my time in the Metaphysics forum, where the "big questions" keep me enthralled for hour on end. This issue is just a puzzle for me right now, and not anything beyond that.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I will 'give it a try'

i listened to your voicemail demons ,i have listened to you recording of your clock stopping (seriously now..) and one called demonic which sounded like a recording of some childrens toy speaking its pre-recorded line a couple of times.

The voice mail 'DEMON!!' were call made from cell phones accidently dialing a number ,it is quit common.And the clock ..well... it stopped and you recorded it (need i say more?)

In another one you say that you are off to work on the recording leaving it recording and a few slapping sounds are heard, and?

If you had anything worthile or remotely convincing i am sure you would have posted it by now.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rafe_

I will 'give it a try'

i listened to your voicemail demons ,i have listened to you recording of your clock stopping (seriously now..) and one called demonic which sounded like a recording of some childrens toy speaking its pre-recorded line a couple of times.

The voice mail 'DEMON!!' were call made from cell phones accidently dialing a number ,it is quit common.And the clock ..well... it stopped and you recorded it (need i say more?)

In another one you say that you are off to work on the recording leaving it recording and a few slapping sounds are heard, and?

If you had anything worthile or remotely convincing i am sure you would have posted it by now.

These recordings aren't mine. I found that page through a link in a post about them on a different board. The person - I think - lives in England. You need to read posts better before replying to them if you don't want to come across like an idiot..

You can't debunk a post that you can't even focus on enough to understand the basic concept of the post itself. I have no idea if that person's audio clips are authentic, but I do know that you contributed in a very important way to the thread by being clueless concerning what the thread is about and yet mouthing off anyway as if you have all the answers.

Man, you debunking experts seem to have all graduated from the same school.

edit on 1/16/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

yeah i complety invalidated my own words on the matter by calling them your recordings,more proof that that it isnt complete bunk.

you can add all unverifiable info in the world to your post and it still does not change it.

edit on 16-1-2012 by Rafe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

It sounds like static white noise. You could hear whatever you wanted out of any of these. Recorders will pick up background static/electrical interference/ or drafts. To assume that static garble is paranormal is ridiculous.
edit on 1/15/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

I wasn't buying that static stuff as paranormal either. Also, the person whose page that is could've easily staged the telemarketer messages too. My interest in the clips was actually limited to the "empty house snaps" clip, and only because I'm experiencing similar sounding snaps in a wall of my own home. I have tried to record them, but they stop completely if I bring a recorder around. And I've left my laptop in the room for 30 minute spans, and again, nothing. Then, as I'm packing the laptop up, the snaps will cluster (5-6 snaps @ about 1 second steady intervals) in a way that feel like I'm being taunted.

Like I told that other guy, those clips aren't mine. I just posted the link to them to give some context to the one clip that had the same sort of snaps I'm hearing in my wall. Christ, it's like you ghost buster debunkers just don't have the time to actually read anything on the threads you post in. No one whose main focus is to compete ever leans anything new. Ever. They know how to battle, but that's all they know or will ever know. In the end, they lose out on a lot more of life and reality than most other people.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The first one sounds like an open headphone mic at the call center with some music playing in the distant background.

The second one sounds like a clock, the A/C unit running, and normal sounds of a house changing temperature and settling. If the tape was set to only turn on when a noise is heard (VOX) the loud bangs are most likely either the end of the event (like water heater filling or AC switching on and off), or the sound of the tape recorder itself starting and stopping.

I tried this one time. Left my tape recorder on VOX when I left home. I got all sorts of weird noises on it. I found out what most of them were. Airplanes flying over, cars/trucks going by on the street, AC/Heat turning on and off, toilets and water heaters refilling, etc... In a quiet house with a hot mic, you'll pick up all sorts of weird noises (which the mic amplifies), that you normally don't notice when your at home with things going on.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Let me add that the VOX setting on a tape recorder is not really designed for this kind of experimentation. If you've ever used one for its intended purpose you'll notice that when you first start talking you normally have to count to two or three before beginning speaking, or you end up with your first few words cut off. That is because it takes the tape a few seconds to start spooling and get up to the proper speed to record.

That means that if there is a loud noise in the house, lets say the AC switches on or the pipes start to refill the hot water heater, you'll actually not record the actual event, but rather the tail end of it or what comes after. Also the tape recorder itself, when it starts/stops, can make a sort of “banging”/”thumping” sound as the tape takes up slack and begins to turn the second reel, then stops again.

BTW...In case you didn't realize this, the first rhythmic banging after the person starts the recording is the sound of her walking away from it and out the front door.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

join