It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports: Russian space probe crashes into Pacific

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Reports: Russian space probe crashes into Pacific

hosted.ap.org

Russia's Defense Ministry says a failed probe designed to travel to a moon of Mars has crashed, showering debris over the southern Pacific, according to news reports.

The ministry said the fragments fell Sunday 1,250 kilometers (775 miles) west of Wellington Island.

The Phobos Ground was one of the heaviest and most toxic space junk ever to crash to Earth, but space officials and experts said the risks posed by its crash were minimal as the probe's toxic rocket fuel and most of the craft's structure were to burn up in the atmosphere anyway.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Good, I have to go do some groceries and now I don't have to worry about it falling on me.

All jokes aside this is supposed to be the most toxic piece of space junk that has ever fallen back to earth and they are trying to make it sound minor.

If the claims of it falling into the Pacific are true then none of the debris will ever be recovered. I wonder how small the pieces broke into and if the fuel really burned up in the atmosphere.

I wonder if they will claim sabotage again, probably not though.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well, I guess this answers my question as to why we can't use small nuclear reactors in space craft/probes. Back to the drawing boards on this one. Ouch... Talk about an insanely expensive form of trial and error.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

It must surely be my turn to say this...
Pics or it didn't happen!

I mean, no one had a call-phone handy? Oh well, at least it's down and no one got hurt. But I've seen photos on here of what appear to be fairly intact hydrazine tanks that have made it all the way down to the surface of the planet. I wonder if it does all just disperse harmlessly "every" time.
ETA I forget the thread but the pic was posted here too.

edit on 15/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

ETA2 AP source
edit on 15/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA2

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Before its launch

and re-entry

Now..why don't they tell us about the other piece that has not been made public. By the way are there any readers out there who know the current position of what ships at the known splash down area are ?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Thanks for the pics

Where did you find the picture of reentry?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
It's all good then. The Pacific is all ready full of nuclear waste from the fallout anyways.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
That isn't a picture of the reentry, it's an image created using TIRA the German Tracking and Imaging RAdar.
edit on 15-1-2012 by AgentSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
That isn't a picture of the reentry, it's an image created using TIRA the German Tracking and Imaging RAdar.
edit on 15-1-2012 by AgentSmith because: (no reason given)

I guess ehe deutch would have something to say about your post...but all is cool..

The Fraunhofer Institute for High Frequency Physics and Radar Techniques FHR in Wachtberg, Germany has produced this image of Phobos-Grunt, created with the TIRA space observation radar. One can clearly see the extended solar panels (center) and the tank ring (bottom).
CREDIT: Fraunhofer FHR

www.space.com...
edit on 15-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Just in case anyone is wondering why the "news" posted in the OP is different from the content the link provides, it's because the AP has updated the article.

The text I posted is from when this news was breaking.
edit on 15-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
we had detritus from the probe fall not far from a friends house, over the lochnagar mountain, in aberdeenshire scotland... i have two photos but im not sure how to upload them to ats.... so if anyone can possibly give me any pointers that would be awesome!

ty
peace x

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
Before its launch

and re-entry

Now..why don't they tell us about the other piece that has not been made public. By the way are there any readers out there who know the current position of what ships at the known splash down area are ?

It is preached on a zimmer frame .

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Get photos onto your PC (preferably in jpg format) and then upload to either ATS (cilck Tools, then ATS Uploads) or some other image-hosting service such as flickr and post a link here.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Click HERE to upload.

They'll need to be less than 500mb though so you might have to resize first.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
ty very much for the help guys!
sorry i havent got back sooner... was a late night for me last night

but here goes and i hope this works...

yesterday i had 3 missed calls from a friend at around 16:50 (GMT) and then a text saying i should get back to her, so i did and she told me that she heard that a russian spacecraft was falling out of orbit and that they could now see what they thought was the russian space debris falling out of the sky near the house! so they managed to take a few photos, but today it seems that it was not parts of the russian debris, as the vapour trail was vertical.... but we dont know for sure what it is.

there are 3 photos.... photos 1 and 2 were taken near the house i stay in (sadly i was not there as am visiting friends)
the first is of the smoke that had drifted from the falling space debris (not sure what to call it but that will do for now)
photo 2 is taken from the same place but at a slightly different angle of the space debris and was possibly around 2/3 miles from the house.
photo 3 is taken at a friends house further up around 1.5miles away, pointing towards the mountain, lochnagar (cairngorms national park - scotland)

www.flickr.com...@N02/

um, having problems with the link.... so im afraid you might have to copy and paste! sorry :/

no one has yet ventured to the site - as we are not entirely sure how far away it is, but tomorrow we might take a few people out for a wander and see if we can find anything....

so again, we dont know if it was the russian spacecraft but thats the impression we were under yesterday, so sorry if it goes slightly off topic? but i'd like to hear what you make of it....and anyone any ideas of what it could be?

fluff x
edit on 16-1-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
hey guys apology for the link not working!
but i havent got time to fix it, as gotta catch a bus home, so when i get back i shall fix it...
soz for any inconvenience !

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
I guess ehe deutch would have something to say about your post...but all is cool..

I missed your point I think? I didn't go into detail but it was imaged using TIRA which is in Germany. TIRA stands for Tracking and Imaging RAdar...

TIRA on Wikipedia
edit on 16-1-2012 by AgentSmith because: Fix Link

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

If the claims of it falling into the Pacific are true then none of the debris will ever be recovered. I wonder how small the pieces broke into and if the fuel really burned up in the atmosphere.

I wonder if they will claim sabotage again, probably not though.

I read somewhere that there was no such thing as the fuel totally burning up - ie effectively disappearing. Tiny droplets are dispersed as a pollutant.
Oh and they already made claims of sabotage. Sorry no links but i'm sure the latter can be easily googled.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
right hope ive managed it now ^^

photo 1;

photo 2;

photo 3;

dunno if it was russian spacecraft debris.... but if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be, that would be brilliant! it may be a meteorite, and we were going to go see if we could find it... but it could be between 7-12 miles away!
and the weather has not been great here... but if a sunny day presents itself we may go for a wee mission!

peace x

new topics

top topics

join