It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have Windows 7 starter notebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Have 1 gb of memory with cache of 512kb and 160 gb hdd. Wanted know if it would be o.k. to open the latest of flash and if necessary get the latest internet 9 explorer. if not what could I use that is compatible. (am in wi-fi hot-spot don't have at&t or comcast not financially able to pay for the extras).

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

All your plug ins such as flash should be fine to load in, and as an alternative to IE maybe try firefox. Its the browser of champions,

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I know Im getting old when I have no idea what this question means.

is it a notebook or a netbook?

open it up? wha? I'm guesing you mean netbook, with no physi.. No I have no idea... this absolutely confuses me!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
dont use internet explores use firefox or google chrome

i use chrome and its alot faster and safer

cheers

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
use iron as a browser,it is writen with chrome code without the google spy on you crap added in.firefox is also good.internet explorer 9 will work fine if thats your choice and it is much better than previous versions.
edit-srware iron i think.

edit on 15/1/2012 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Put linux on it and you can do anything with it.

Unfortunately, Windows STARTER edition is very crippled software. MS just did it to thumb their nose at the Open source community. You will never be happy with the performance of that machine as long as MS software is running it.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2
Have 1 gb of memory with cache of 512kb and 160 gb hdd. Wanted know if it would be o.k. to open the latest of flash and if necessary get the latest internet 9 explorer. if not what could I use that is compatible. (am in wi-fi hot-spot don't have at&t or comcast not financially able to pay for the extras).

It is fine to do all of the above.

You are not that limited-- those numbers are reasonable.

Keep your Flash updated, and keep your browser updated-- even if you want to use IE.

Your 1 Gig of memory will make some Flash applications take time to load and so the browser matters.

"Firefox" and "Google Chrome" browsers try to compete for being easiest on the resources of smaller machines.

I use both of those browsers but never IE.

Firefox is my primary browser, but struggles with heavy Flash applications-- it typically gives up if it must wait for Flash to load; and crashes the Flash application.

Google Chrome will give the user the opportunity to tell it to wait for a large Flash application to load or to kill the application instead of deciding for you. For that reason, Chrome is the browser I use for flash applications (Zynga games on facebook!).

Microsoft's Internet Explorer is a cow. If there has been any concept of innovation or attempts to design it to use limited resources efficiently-- that would be a new concept for them. Instead of competing with the two innovators just mentioned, it counts on being the default browser for the operating system. It seems to me to be a tool to cause a user to use only Microsoft products and Microsoft web sites.

The bold, wise, and experienced typically use Firefox or Chrome as their browser, choose Google (not Bing, and not Yahoo!) as their primary search engine, run Avast! virus protection, and have gmail as their email account.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Don't feel bad I didn't know either just went by the description and yes I probably do mean netbook. I do good to do the little bit I do with the computer.Too many gadgets tablets,e-reader apple I used one time is probably the best of the two companies but am not familiar with apple programming or even know how to use the internet on an apple product. But from what I understand it's superior to Microsoft and also more expensive. Oh, well as I'm not a gamer this little machine works pretty good for everything else.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OsirisIndigo
Put linux on it and you can do anything with it.

Unfortunately, Windows STARTER edition is very crippled software. MS just did it to thumb their nose at the Open source community. You will never be happy with the performance of that machine as long as MS software is running it.

Careful, I was admonished today for being against the billion dollar corporation Microsoft, and supporting the Free OS, Linux. I was called a "troll." I am beginning to think Microsoft, Big Oil, Big Pharm, and a few others of TPTB have representation in this forum. You can tell.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I always liked Microsoft, because it's what fed me for well over a decade. Why would I want to learn Linux? Linux doesn't break or have problems. Windows does, so, it needs people to fix it, and those people get paid in ducats, or, at least they use to.

As for the OP, if you can, and you want your system to perform faster and don't mind the inconvenience of having to learn a whole new OS, go for LINUX. It's way less resource intensive, plus you won't have to bother with allocating resources to spyware/antivirus programs.

You can try Ubuntu for free as well as other flavors of LINUX. There's tons of open source free software for LINUX as well, like Gimp which is the equivalent in horsepower to photoshop, but, minus the hundreds of $ price tag.

In regard to what you have, as is, it's fine for browsing the internet, watching videos online and and other light workload stuff. If you want more bang, then, free up resources for better performance by using LINUX.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Careful, I was admonished today for being against the billion dollar corporation Microsoft, and supporting the Free OS, Linux. I was called a "troll." I am beginning to think Microsoft, Big Oil, Big Pharm, and a few others of TPTB have representation in this forum. You can tell.

Right.... because there aren't any people out there that like using Windows right? Are you that stupid? Windows does have it's supporters who aren't TPTB lol.

Not everyone is a cheap skate like you who refuses pay for any software. Proprietary software is way better, GIMP is a mess Photoshop is coherent and well designed, Sony Vegas better than PiTiVi, etc.

Face it man Linux is dead in the water. It will never gain any significant desktop marketshare. Wait till Windows 8 comes out it will offer the same experience for tablet and desktop use.

Anywho back to the topic at hand. You can get a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Home Premium for $80 www.microsoft.com...

Don't listen to the Linux trolls. Linux isn't the Messiah, it won't solve all your computer problems and won't bring you unending bliss. They are full of themselves but go on and download Ubuntu and you can see how much of a buggy mess it is. At least Windows 7 is stable. I haven't had any crashes or system errors. Haven't had any viruses either. Don't listen to the FUD spread by the Linux weenies on here.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PharohGnosis

Right.... because there aren't any people out there that like using Windows right? Are you that stupid? Windows does have it's supporters who aren't TPTB lol.

Not everyone is a cheap skate like you who refuses pay for any software. Proprietary software is way better, GIMP is a mess Photoshop is coherent and well designed, Sony Vegas better than PiTiVi, etc.

Face it man Linux is dead in the water. It will never gain any significant desktop marketshare. Wait till Windows 8 comes out it will offer the same experience for tablet and desktop use.

Anywho back to the topic at hand. You can get a Windows Anytime Upgrade to Home Premium for $80 www.microsoft.com...

Don't listen to the Linux trolls. Linux isn't the Messiah, it won't solve all your computer problems and won't bring you unending bliss. They are full of themselves but go on and download Ubuntu and you can see how much of a buggy mess it is. At least Windows 7 is stable. I haven't had any crashes or system errors. Haven't had any viruses either. Don't listen to the FUD spread by the Linux weenies on here.

Defensive much?

They sell decaf you know?
I'd recommend low fat cream for the blood pressure too.

Further, it would seem your reading comprehension skills are in dire need of some leveling up since you obviously missed the part in the OP that plainly described extreme financial restrictions.

To the OP, both OS solutions, either Windows or Linux have their pros and cons. Do some research, and make your own decision.
Don['t let anyone force you to drink the kool aide in either camp.

edit on 15-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

Defensive much?

They sell decaf you know?
I'd recommend low fat cream for the blood pressure too.

Further, it would seem your reading comprehension skills are in dire need of some leveling up since you obviously missed the part in the OP that plainly described extreme financial restrictions.

To the OP, both OS solutions, either Windows or Linux have their pros and cons. Do some research, and make your own decision.
Don['t let anyone force you to drink the kool aide in either camp.

edit on 15-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

$80 isn't that much even under financial restrictions. He never used the word 'extreme' either. I've used Linux before many, many different distros. They all have problems with being buggy and bug regression. Just face it man people rather pirate Windows than use a crummy free OS.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

$80 isn't that much even under financial restrictions. He never used the word 'extreme' either. I've used Linux before many, many different distros. They all have problems with being buggy and bug regression. Just face it man people rather pirate Windows than use a crummy free OS.

Did you miss the part where the OP said they can't afford AT&T or Comcast, and are thus using a free/open Wifi hotspot? That's like $30-40/month?
$80 may not be much to you, but, you'd be be sociocentric, blindly ignorant, or just lacking in observation to think that $80 "isn't that much even under financial restrictions", especially in the current socio-political-economic climate.

Your comments are also rudely condescending, and even insulting. Please try to amend that. OP just wanted some advice, and you want to barge into the room, take over and pick fights because some people suggested an OS as a possible solution counter to your seemingly religious zeal for MS Windows.

Calm down man. It's going to be okay. Take deep breaths. There's no reason for you to jump right in as a newb and start trying to make enemies, calling people 'stupid' and such. We're just suggestion solutions to a problem. This isn't the crusades.

Relax, enjoy, explore. It's all good.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

My my! Work for Microsoft, do you? Sure sounds like it. Linux Troll?
Someone who supports a totally free operating system that is faster, more stable, and free of common Windows problems is not a Troll?
I have a HP Laptop sitting here right now that refuses to remember power settings, and goes to sleep after two minutes, then will not come out of sleep mode, and has to be hard restarted, something Linux does not mind, but windows hates. The lady told me she was sick of Windows 7, and wanted Windows XP installed on it.
Linux is far from being dead, if that were true, Microsoft would not be trying to obtain the Unix source code, so they can copyright it and charge people for Linux. They even have a Linux like shell for Windows now. Dead? I don't think so. Due to Microsoft's monopolistic behavior, most computers are shipped with Windows and the result is an infected Internet full of net bots. A few government departments changing to Linux is what is changing
the numbers.

In late 2006 Mark Shuttleworth, CEO of Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu said that there had been 8-million downloads of Ubuntu. In one way, we're all Linux users now.
If you buy something from Craigslist or keep up with friends on Facebook, you're using Linux. To be exact, you're using Big-IP 9.4.6, which is an embedded high-speed networking system that incorporates Linux. Do you watch videos on YouTube? Linux again. Google? Yes, they run Linux too. Happy?

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Someone asking the questions asked in the OP is NOT going to uninstall Windows and install another operating system.

In what world are y'all living?

Back here in the real world, Windows Starter Edition on a netbook is expected, and fine.

I must say, I don't run across the FUD acronym often! "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt!" A marketing term-- and a business ethics topic. Ah! The good old days when such things were considered wrong.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

My my! Work for Microsoft, do you? Sure sounds like it. Linux Troll?
Someone who supports a totally free operating system that is faster, more stable, and free of common Windows problems is not a Troll?

Microsoft would not be trying to obtain the Unix source code, so they can copyright it and charge people for Linux. They even have a Linux like shell for Windows now. Dead?

People can like Windows without having to work for Microsoft. I guess your hick brain can't comprehend that.

Also Unix and Linux are two different things. Guess you don't know that. Unix is owned by AT&T, Linux was designed to be like a free Unix. Even if Microsoft did buy Unix it wouldn't effect Linux.

You're a joke. You say you fix computers but you can't fix Windows problems and just nuke people's hard drives and install Linux on it. Linux has it's own set of problems. Stop living in fantasy land and spreading lies that Linux is perfect when it's not.

I would recommend these videos that cover what is wrong with Linux that is if you are not afraid to watch it since you live in denial.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2

Don't feel bad I didn't know either just went by the description and yes I probably do mean netbook. I do good to do the little bit I do with the computer.Too many gadgets tablets,e-reader apple I used one time is probably the best of the two companies but am not familiar with apple programming or even know how to use the internet on an apple product. But from what I understand it's superior to Microsoft and also more expensive. Oh, well as I'm not a gamer this little machine works pretty good for everything else.

Seriously man if you can't figure out how to connect to the internet on a Mac or iPad you really wouldn't be able to handle Linux lol. Stick with Windows 7 and just do the $80 upgrade, you'll be happier that way instead of wrestling with partitioning your hard drive, install drivers, and restricted codexes, etc.

top topics

join