It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN chief slams settlements, calls for end to 'occupation'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
YES ... Ban Ki-moon, the United Nations Secretary-General, has called all the Israeli settlements illegal and says the occupations must end as well as the violence against civilians !!!

NOW wait ....

He was talking at a conference on democracy in the in Beirut, Lebanon.

I don't know if any Israelis were present (other than perhaps reporters).

By JPOST.COM STAFF
01/15/2012 12:55

"Settlements, new and old, are illegal. They work against the emergence of a viable Palestinian state," the UN chief stated.

Ban added: "A two-state solution is long overdue. The status quo offers only the guarantee of future conflict."

The UN secretary general also addressed the wider Arab world, calling on Syrian President Bashar Assad to "stop killing" his people.

Speaking while on visit to Lebanon, Ban Ki-moon says "settlements, new and old, are illegal and work against the emergence of a viable Palestinian state"; warns status quo "guarantees" future conflict.

He also riled up Hezbollah last Friday on top of this

Ban angered Hezbollah during his visit to Lebanon, when he called on the Shi'ite group to give up its weapons on Friday. Ban said he was "deeply concerned about the military capacity of Hezbollah and ... the lack of progress in disarmament."

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah shot back, "We want you (the UN), the US and Israel to be concerned."

Nothing Like Stirring Up a Hornets Nest

BUT, Is He Right?

Time-Out already !

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Is this an indication that the U.N. is fed up with something ?

Hmmmm.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I heard about a few UN resolutions that where passed in the general assembly a few weeks ago condemning Israel for its aggressive policy and practices against Palestine. One of them passed with unanimous support from everyone except Israel, The US backed out of support with some of the other motions. Overall support was overwhelming to get Israel to stop being a bully.

Reviewing how the boarders have changed over the past 50 or so years is clear, undeniable evidence of this aggression. The region is already tense enough and facing many difficult challenges. Another war will just further increase the political instability and pressure on the limited social infrastructure.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I believe this is what you're talking about:

UN General Assembly Passes 9 Resolutions Against Israel

Regrettably the UN is nothing more than a puppet organization. IMO these resolutions are nothing more than a psy op because they never really change anything. Israel only recognizes resolutions that work in their favor while they ignore the ones that favor Palestine.

Here are the maps you mentioned:

edit on 15-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

That's them

I know the UN has its problems, but the combined political will of the world is a powerful resource when it wants to be. I do see your point as finding that common agreement can be a very difficult challenge. Confronting the reality and putting that vision into action also has many difficulties and risks.

The world is aware there is a problem between Israel and Palestine and which way it needs to go. Next step is how do we get there?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

He can make as many little statements as he likes between their ineffective and expensive meetings (where I assume they discuss, at length, the biscuits they'll order for their next meeting).
Until the UN actually DOES SOMETHING about the illegal activities of the Israeli regime, I have absolutely no faith in the UN or its ability to do anything other than support the west in our thirst for Oil.

I'll pay more attention when I see a resolution passed stating that Israel is breaching international law and stealing land from another people. I'll cheer when I see the UN demanding that Israel leave the occupied territories and hand over all of their illegal buildings and stolen land back to the Palestinians.

Until something is actually happening, the UN will always be a pointless and expensive puppet, granting permission for Oil-grabs around the world.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

The world is aware there is a problem between Israel and Palestine and which way it needs to go. Next step is how do we get there?

Maybe it's high time the U.N. sends in the "peace keeping" forces.
(unless of course, they decide to misspell "piece")

Has there ever been U.N. forces in Israel or Palestine ?

It seems to me that there was something going on in the 1950's.

I wonder if anyone has actually seen any land title deeds that are "certified" ?

Who really "owns" those places anyway ?

Do the banks have mortgages ?
Will they ever "foreclose" ?

Hmmm.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Is this an indication that the U.N. is fed up with something ?

The UN ... calling out someone for being out of line .... that's comical. The United Nations is a cesspool of corruption and self serving international politicians. It's full of evil and full of bias and full of greed. It's also just a paper tiger. Honestly ... I don't care what the UN says and I wish we'd cut off all funding to it. It's time of usefulness has long ago passed.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This is the same cesspool that helped create the state of Israel so perhaps this cesspool can be the organization to finally put Israel in check. I know it's highly doubtful but we have the right to hold them accountable for not doing their "job".

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Peacekeepers are generally observers at best. There ability to act as soldiers is mainly restricted to self defence as they are operating in dangerous environments. For the UN to pick any sides when engaging in conflicts is a very politically charged debate. I am not aware of any UN forces deployed in this region, but would expect many different reporting agencies over the years. When things are tense it can be good having an independent observer, but is a very tough and tricky role to remain impartial.

Israel started from the negotiations at the end of WW2 as the remaining jews from the war had to go somewhere. There is lots of contention over land as there is a very long ancestry to the region with many conflicts along the way. Those who live there have a good claim for ownership, but can get quite messy legally as acquisitions, relocations, genocide and indigenous relationships with the land all get thrown in the mix.

As for how to fix it, the conflict will continue until Israel can understand the Palestine situation and Palestine can understand Israel. There are a lot of closed minds in the leaderships preventing discussions and reconciliation. There have been some good community initiatives over the years but a lack of political will has limited any effectiveness of these programs and movements. With more international support and review of just what is going on hopefully some common sense can enter the discussions.
edit on 15-1-2012 by kwakakev because: spelling 'there'

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
. I am not aware of any UN forces deployed in this region, but would expect many different reporting agencies over the years.

Israeli strike destroys U.N post, kills 3

Israel troops `ignored` U.N. plea

UN peacekeepers in south Lebanon contacted Israeli troops 10 times before an Israeli bomb killed four of them, an initial UN report says.

The post was hit by a precision-guided missile after six hours of shelling, diplomats familiar with the probe say.

The UN report says each time the UN contacted Israeli forces, they were assured the firing would stop.

A senior Irish soldier working for the UN forces had warned the Israelis six times that their bombardment was endangering the lives of UN staff, Ireland's foreign ministry said.

Had Israel responded to the requests, "rather than deliberately ignoring them", the observers would still be alive, a diplomat familiar with the report said.

BBC News

Peacekeeping duty on an Israeli border would be a squeaky bum assignment.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Thanks for clearing that issue up.

The UN is involved in a lot and I am not up to speed on everything. It is very likely there is paperwork and bodies going all the way back to the start with the story and progress very clear for those that read through it.

Basically, The political forces governing Israel want the land mass that was Palestine. National boarders are a dynamic thing constantly moving, changing and merging with culture and governance. In this process the use of force has been very effective for the governing body.

The cultural tension in this region has been going on for thousands of years and not unique to the region. With Gaza and the West Bank divided in geography it is looking bad for Palestine as its capability is diminished. Currently they are conquered as many other indigenous cultures have been when faced with a colonising force. Considering the many recent painful lessons learnt from the results of WW2 it is not surprising.

So where do we go? Do we keep up the killing and pushing of boundaries until there are no more lines on the map or do we sit down and resolve the conflict in a more reasoned and inclusive approach? Might or Right?

There is a strong consensus of what needs to be done to reduce hostilities, but is it in the national interest for different cultures to coexist? Considering the larger issues at play it is the only option and inevitable.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

[color=cyan]*****

Excellent post !

And I think this quote from one article gives away the conspiracy !

‘Full investigation’
“I call on the government of Israel to conduct a full investigation into this very disturbing incident and demand that any further attack on U.N. positions and personnel must stop,” Annan said in the statement.

Gillerman called the assertions “premature and erroneous.”

Kofi Annan calls for "Israel" to investigate ???

He was the U.N. Chief at the time

Why not have the U.N. "investigate"

Hmmm.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Why not have the U.N. "investigate

I expect that they have, just lacking the political will and consensus of direction to force an immediate solution.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Why not have the U.N. "investigate"

Because an investigation made by anyone else would be unbiased and condemn israel for their actions... It would put them to blame and then it would start the usual name calling, labeling another place anti-semetic... to prevent this, the UN is kind enough to let israel conduct its own investigations...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Thank You !

That's what I thought !

I guess 'ol Kofi was just another crook

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

no no no... he's not a crook...

just secretly anti-semetic... like everyone else is apparently...
edit on 12/1/16 by Magnum007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I just imagined something...

Even if the UN demanded Israel to dismantle for any reason, they would just ignore it and scream Anti-Semitism. Bibi's last speech was typical and included harsh criticism of the UN while he was begging for their cooperation. This man and those who share his ideas are dangerous to world peace, and we all know about the Samson option.

The arrogance and sense of entitlement of Israel is a clear reminder that they would never even allow anything close to the 1967 borders to b implemented. I'm tired of these bullies and the world leaders who defend this hypocrisy (including my own).

new topics

top topics

join