It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is President Obama sending 12, 000 U.S. troops to Libya?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

It's an opinion piece not fact.

Makes quite a bit of difference to whether it's real or not.....no sources, no other verification...the ONLY info on the web about US troops in Malta are repeats of this opinion piece.

To me it looks like argumentum ex culo - perhaps not by the author - perhaps someone has actually told her this......but until someone comes up with better info - like units, etc., I'm going with it being bunk.

It is complete bunk. It comes from the Mathaba website and nuts like Lendman. They were claiming last year that the US 82nd Airborne Division was decimated in Libya and C-130s destroyed. They even published images of the destroyed C-130. They were in fact fire simulator images from a fire training school in England!

uprootedpalestinians.blogspot.com...

Routine movements such as the USS Whidbey Island through Malta are always going to be jumped on by those seeking conspiracy.

www.timesofmalta.com...

www.shipspotting.com...

From

www.shipspotting.com...

Air movements through Malta are also regularly noted and imaged.

www.airliners.net...

It is the usual hype and bluster generated by the conspiracy crowd.

The suport tug for the Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov is currently anchored off eastern Malta. The tug Nikolay Chiker is currently at anchor at 35°47.16' N 14°52.84' E. The tug is never far away from the Task Force and carrier.

From

aprs.fi...

www.marinetraffic.com...

To the conspiracy people it is obvious WW3. The plan to send the 12,000 US troops have been scuppered by the presence of the Russian Task Force!
You get the idea! Watch out for it being reported by the likes of Alex Jones, Lendman, Mathaba etc.
edit on 16-1-2012 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

Check out ports of calls on seawaves.

www.seawaves.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoosM

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Here's a final thought:

"We are not about to send American boys nine or ten thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves,"
- LBJ on Viet Nam

And we know what happened next...

Grenada was Vietnam.
El Salvador was Vietnam.
Panama was Vietnam
Desert Storm was Vietnam
Bosnia was Vietnam
A-stan was Vietnam
Iraq was Vietnam.

Anytime US Troops are engaged in some sort of conflict, the first thing everyone screams is, "This is JUST like Vietnam!!!!"

Make sure you throw in the word "Quagmire" for extra bonus points.

I dont get the point of your post.
What was the point of your post?

Let me chime in...............
From said post.

Anytime US Troops are engaged in some sort of conflict, the first thing everyone screams is, "This is JUST like Vietnam!!!!"

Cant believe you asked.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by angelchemuel
I'm sorry if I am way off beam here, but isn't Malta some sort of British 'Protectorate'?

or has that changed without me noticing?

Apparently it did....although you might not actually have been alive when it happened, which might explain why you didn't notice it??
It is an independent country, and a member of the EU.

It became independent from the UK and a member of the UN in 1964, and a republic in 1974 - Wiki article on Malta

Ah thank you, I was alive but a tad too young to understand politics!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Should this be in BAN?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoosM

Originally posted by arbiture

By the way please thank you son for me for his service. Many of us do appreciate it.

Yeah, I also appreciate doctors who save lives, the guys who pick up the garbage every week, the engineers and architects who build bridges and homes, the journalists that put their lives on the line to give us "the story", So many people do so many constructive things.

I agree, but people in the military knowingly go in harms way. As a friend of mine who's been in the Army Rangers for 12years said, "few jobs pay you to get shot at and thats part of the unspoken job description" Then there are cops, a job I could never have the stomach for ( I have a friend who was a cop for over 10 years), and I told him "I don't know how you deal w/all the crap all the time". He left the force for other opportunities. A pity in a way because he was the "ideal" cop given his very even-handed and professional manner, and super decent personality He told me the hardest part of his job was the child abuse cases. As I said, I couldn't stomach that.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

His "little green book? You'r kidding right? No, I have not read it though did try to read Mao's little red book. Needed a lot of pepto-bismol afterwards.

Why, can't handle a book jam-packed with successful non-materialistic Eastern philosophy?

AuranVector-
I don't know that Cynthia McKinney is a reliable source for info. She is very anti-American and raised eyebrows for appearing on Iranian TV and with Qaddafi on Libyan TV.

I may agree with her on some things (like how corrupt our government is), but getting cosy with our (USA's) enemies smacks of treason.

O'Reilly wondered out loud where the money came from for her international trips.

“Are Violent, Anti-American Regimes Funding Cynthia McKinney’s Travels Abroad?”

www.theblaze.com...

AuranVector

So anti-American = non-reliable?

I don't get the feeling that she is anti-American at all, unless you are implying that what it means to be American is to be status quo with its regime without question. It doesn't surprise me in the least that some media figure brownnoser like O'Reilly would denounce anyone for not being patriotic enough to the government's cause.

PS: Since when was Ghaddafi and most of Libya America's enemy?

FoosM-
Thats right, and thats why it doesn't matter who is President.
Unless R.P. is the real deal.

Ron Paul?

Let me tell you something about Ron Paul. He is libertarian. His platform sounds nice, except that all it really means is that he only intends the government to be a security institution (police and military). What this means is that corporations will have free range to take over everything else within the system that libertarians wish to deregulate. He's probably the biggest fascist of all, in my opinion.

ModernAcademia-
Should this be in BAN?

When I first posted this thread, I thought it was a breaking story but it turns out that it is probably an overexaggeration of facts.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I just finished reporting on my News in Focus program that there are no Troops in Malta. The original report was this:
Former US Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney claims there are some 12,000 American soldiers stationed in Malta. From Malta the report said they would go into Libya. However, a statement from the Maltese government released today, states this is false:

The Maltese government denied allegations made by former US Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney that 12,000 US troops are stationed in Malta, before they go to Libya.

"The allegations are completely false," government said in a statement.

Source: Malta Today: www.maltatoday.com.mt...

I cannot find any statement from Cynthia McKinney responding to the Maltese government statement. If I find more I will post it ASAP. I am a new member to this site so If I have done something wrong in my post please let me know. Thank you

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Oh good Lord, not Cynthia Mckinney again! I thought that hag was long gone!

Another race baiter along the lines of Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson.

"All white people are the Devil!"

This broad is really something else.
edit on 16-1-2012 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Apparently this no joke everyone from facebook people in Libya reporting it.
heres my thread on it
Source

#US " #peacekeeping " ground invasion troops, which arrived 1h ago to #Libya already setting up mobile camps & equipment around #oil refinery

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
So check out this thread and see what is being said on facebook. Also, I haven't received word one from President Obama. I also asked a few pointed questions to specific people and they did not deny the fact, which to me was an affirmative. I think it is happening. The only question for me is, is it 12,000 troops or more or less?

ooops, www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 16-1-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewsinFocus
I just finished reporting on my News in Focus program that there are no Troops in Malta. The original report was this:
Former US Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney claims there are some 12,000 American soldiers stationed in Malta. From Malta the report said they would go into Libya. However, a statement from the Maltese government released today, states this is false:

The Maltese government denied allegations made by former US Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney that 12,000 US troops are stationed in Malta, before they go to Libya.

"The allegations are completely false," government said in a statement.

Source: Malta Today: www.maltatoday.com.mt...

I cannot find any statement from Cynthia McKinney responding to the Maltese government statement. If I find more I will post it ASAP. I am a new member to this site so If I have done something wrong in my post please let me know. Thank you

And you should believe the Maltese government because? i feel sorry for the Maltese on how they were used as puppets for the war in Libya.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This whole story feels strange.

On one hand, there isn't much to verify the details.

On the other hand, are we to claim that this isn't happening because it is not reported by the usual sources?

What if this was happening and the only people willing to report it seem to be the "radicals" and "enemies"?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Successful by what standards? Mao is about as far from the "Eastern philosophical perspective" as Stalin was from democracy.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Successful by what standards? Mao is about as far from the "Eastern philosophical perspective" as Stalin was from democracy.

I wouldn't expect you to even understand what "Eastern philosophical perspective" means with that attitude. I've read books about Mao and his revolution, written by people who were also on the long march, and I've even browsed over his Red Book.

I don't understand how anyone could logically claim that Mao was "far" from Eastern philosophy when he employed it to unite the Chinese population into defeating the brutal imperialists that betrayed the maoists in Shanghai. Perhaps you may learn something about Eastern philosophy if you bothered to look into the Red Book, which happens to be a book loaded with philosophical quotations.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Hi ATS.
I am from Malta and i am pretty sure we do not have 12000 troops here on the island. We know special forces and other units passed through here on their way to Libya during the crisis there, lots of Chinooks and Hercules landing and taking off from the airport a few months ago. So we would notice if we had 12000 troops around.

edit on 17-1-2012 by xinobi666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Hi All,

I've been talking to friends in Tripoli and one told me, the only troops he's seen that have not been New Libyan Army is Qatari Infantry. who are training up the locals and providing security.

Obviously there will be Military Advisors from UK, France, Italy and the USA, but that would just be officers and a few support staff.

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by xinobi666
So we would notice if we had 12000 troops around.

As would the Russians! One of the tankers that is part of the Russian Navy Task Force is to visit Malta tomorrow. The whole '12000' story was as bogus as the November / December 2011 reports of Russian warships patrolling Syrian waters.

www.maltashipphotos.com...

On Wednesday 18th January 2012 @ 1000hrs the Russian Navy Boris Chilikhin Class oiler RFS SERGEI OSIPOV is visiting Malta.

The Russian Navy aircraft carrier support tug is underway east of Malta.

www.marinetraffic.com...

edit on 17-1-2012 by tommyjo because: spelling

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

"Eastern philosophical" concepts in the traditional sense such as Buddhism, in Japan Shinto, or what is usually considered a non-religious but roughly akin to a socio-political construct, Confucianism (though many often identify it as a religion despite a lake of deities) are far removed from the "manifesto" (statement of ideals and politicized doctrine) from Mao's "Little Red Book". As w/the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, and Hitlers Mien Kaumph* ( *which I know I misspelled, spell checker must be on a coffee break...) they are more ideological templates from which the authors hoped or assumed would "evolve" into a structured political and social system. It would take to long to drone on as to why these and other "templates", in this context including as a template the Declaration of Independence are human constructs and hardly inevitable and frankly having nothing to do with social "evolution".

You also can't compare the "Red Book" to "The Art of War" either, as the later is expressly a strategic-military mindset, almost like a check list of do' and don't's which can be applied to other areas in some cases like business, though loosely. If anything the red book is closer to the concept of a manifesto, an ideological rant and not Eastern philosophy. A manifesto very often reads as if the author was being interviewed by Oprah or Pierce Morgan and asked; "OK, what do you think"? It's a statement of where someone is making an observation of a current society, and coming up with their own new and improved version of what it SHOULD be, in their image.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Well the first link you posted nsnbc is a wordpress blog. Anybody can write anything.

Wordpress Blogs are a hotbed for viruses (I've had my share of bad experiences dealing with them).
The fact that the author used "nsnbc" makes me think that is a effort to "trick" any potential visitors, into thinking it's a site affiliated with Msnbc. (some do not pay attention)

Mathaba is a BS source.....period. It's on the same level as examiner, and ANW.

My opinion of course.
edit on 17-1-2012 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blahable

Well the first link you posted nsnbc is a wordpress blog. Anybody can write anything.

Wordpress Blogs are a hotbed for viruses (I've had my share of bad experiences dealing with them).
The fact that the author used "nsnbc" makes me think that is a effort to "trick" any potential visitors, into thinking it's a site affiliated with Msnbc. (some do not pay attention)

Mathaba is a BS source.....period. It's on the same level as examiner, and ANW.

My opinion of course.

The fact that I used "nsnbc" is because that's the source that was handed to me, along with the other source, before I even made this thread. And in my first post I asked if other people could confirm the information.

Your bias towards the source is completely moot considering that the sources reported accurate information about what McKinney said. The story, and the burden of proof, was on McKinney's words, not the sources that I posted. And to confirm this, a previous poster posted that McKinney was discussing exactly this story after I made this thread.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join