It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Advice on a friend joining ATS!

page: 2
3
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
I think you will be fine .
There are husband and wife teams on here,how bad do you think that could get.

he knows you,you know him,stay out of each others business like in real life,cause this is not real,it's virtual.


I don't think there is a danger of us getting into each others business (not while he is still exploring and learning about this site)...and there is certainly no way it would interfere with our friendship...like you say...this is virtual...and we are full grown adult men that realize that!

I just thought it would be awesome if I could introduce a friend into something that we could talk about on the same level.

He finally has agreed to join after checking it out...so...we will have tons to chat about now I am sure!




posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by Casandra
 

This is why I hang on the new thread page, it is a varied range of subjects rather than just say diving into the forum. Hot news, as it happens or sometimes (thankfully!) doesn't.
A few "lesser posts" sometimes turn epic in their own little way.
Discussions here are easily started.
Good ones too.

I try to limit myself to kitty's... and humour, it's generally safer.

Gotta havz a cat-chi title


I'm mostly on the "recent posts" tab. Except when it's a slow day, then I dig up old threads



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra
 





I'm mostly on the "recent posts" tab. Except when it's a slow day, then I dig up old threads


Nice link!


I bounce around like a cat in heat...off topics, recent posts, new threads, etc...everything seems intersting when things are slow...and fast!

Some of the old threads are some of the best threads!

They are always worth a look in my opinion!



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv
 


And it will deepen the relationship.
Good luck to you and your friend,looking forward to you all's posts and threads.

And as far as those old thread,you never know what you might dig up.
I found a few goodies.


edit on 15-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Don't worry about your friend following you here. This is a lot like an MMO, really. I remember I started out in WoW by following someone I know, but eventually set out on my own.

You can show him how the quote/reply/edit features work and fill him in on what is/is not acceptable. Then encourage him to explore. If he has any questions, there's always the freshman forum.



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
reply to post by jerryznv
 


And it will deepen the relationship.
Good luck to you and your friend,looking forward to you all's posts and threads.



Thank you...I think my friend is ten fold what I am...so when he does post and eventually start a thread...it will be awesome for all of us that frequent ATS!

I am actually anxiously awaiting his introduction....I haven't seen it yet!
edit on 15-1-2012 by jerryznv because: ...



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
Don't worry about your friend following you here. This is a lot like an MMO, really. I remember I started out in WoW by following someone I know, but eventually set out on my own.

You can show him how the quote/reply/edit features work and fill him in on what is/is not acceptable. Then encourage him to explore. If he has any questions, there's always the freshman forum.



That is kind of what I was thinking...show him the basics and help him with the smaller things...then set him out on his own...good advice though....and my thoughts exactly!

There is sure to be a lot of personal messages...and the freshman's forum will be the place I'll steer him to!
edit on 15-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv
 


I suggest you communicate to your friend what you have said to us here on ATS. Go out for coffee...talk...open up.



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by jerryznv
 


I suggest you communicate to your friend what you have said to us here on ATS. Go out for coffee...talk...open up.


Good advice...I think I'll let him on that this thread is about him too...we are good friends...and I think he'll find this thread another stepping stone in his journey!

Funny you mention going out for coffee...we do that about 3 times a week..breakfast and coffee before classes start!


He (like most people) hear the term "conspiracy theory" and automatically think nut case...but in the last few months he has seen that ATS isn't just conspiracy theories...and a great place to get news that the rest of the world is not hearing!

It's funny...I don't know if there is a way to turn people on to ATS without sounding a bit nuts...but showing them seems to work some of the time!



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
All my friends I directed to ATS to join I told them this:

To read the T&C first off, learn the search function, don't be rude and attack others who disagree and to form their own opinions and to not let others get to them.

I also told them to do their own research and take certain topics with a grain of salt, such as reptilians because my friend loves to say while out in public circles "oh you believe in reptilians," that always gets looks
I told her just because it's on here it doesn't mean I believe it.

I actually dont mind if my friends are members know my name on here, they probably already know my thoughts on these topics anyways.




posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
All my friends I directed to ATS to join I told them this:

To read the T&C first off, learn the search function, don't be rude and attack others who disagree and to form their own opinions and to not let others get to them.

I also told them to do their own research and take certain topics with a grain of salt, such as reptilians because my friend loves to say while out in public circles "oh you believe in reptilians," that always gets looks
I told her just because it's on here it doesn't mean I believe it.

I actually dont mind if my friends are members know my name on here, they probably already know my thoughts on these topics anyways.



I offered up the advice that it is like a public library...some fiction...some non-fiction...but everything get covered!

I saw him on last night...he is still a bit shy and hasn't posted anything yet...which is good in a sense...he is still checking stuff out.

We talk daily...so I know he'll call if he has any questions...it's just nice to see a friend waking up (dare I say that?)...and gives us a bit more to talk about!

I don't know...I think ATS is truly amazing (with the right mind set) and I wish there were more people receptive to the idea the world may not be the place they have always thought of it as!



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
as a new member here myself today i can safely say the sheer amount of topics and debates on here is mind boggling

im gonna enjoy getting familiar with what topics are where and looking at both sides of the argument

alltho what i have seen it can be a bit of a minefield with certain topics and certain replys lol

@o.p i sure your friend would like this place as he has you to steer him in the right direction as far as topics that may be of intrest to him



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by UkRandom
as a new member here myself today i can safely say the sheer amount of topics and debates on here is mind boggling

im gonna enjoy getting familiar with what topics are where and looking at both sides of the argument

alltho what i have seen it can be a bit of a minefield with certain topics and certain replys lol

@o.p i sure your friend would like this place as he has you to steer him in the right direction as far as topics that may be of intrest to him


Awesome to hear from a new member!


I agree...it is a bit mind boggling at first...but then you quickly learn how to weed through topics and posts!

Certain topics are a clear stop sign for me...I found that out early in my adventures here...some topics though are my addiction!



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme
reply to post by jerryznv
 


Don't tell him your pseudonym


It is a bit late for that...this is the reason he is joining...I show and tell him about this site all the time an he finally decided to check it out himself...and join us here!

So...I have already planted the seed based on my own opinion...but I would like him to come to his own!

Not based on what I have shown him thus far...but what he finds for himself!


Oh no! They are lost forever!

Trapped in the underside of the internet.



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut
 





Oh no! They are lost forever!

Trapped in the underside of the internet.



I guess that means welcome aboard...we are all lost to the underside of the internet (whatever that means)!

Never heard that expression before!



new topics

top topics



 
3
<< 1   >>

log in

join