It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on a friend joining ATS!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I have a friend that is joining ATS finally and is asking me for advice about how to post and such.

I have been here for awhile...so I would like to give him a nice introduction...but also give him space to look around and develop his own ideas on what goes on here.

So my question is...how do I welcome him to ATS without (this is going to be blunt) him following me in my ideas and thoughts...and how should I go about showing him that his own ideas are what make ATS what it is?

Long and short...I don't want him to buy into what I think is true just because he is new and following my advice on a site that he should check out....I want him to be an independent thinker...and decide for himself!

Is there a way to do all this and still support him in what he decides...or does that make a new boundary?
edit on 14-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

How about just tell him what you just wrote, but in a kind way.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Don't tell him your pseudonym

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

Don't tell him your pseudonym

It is a bit late for that...this is the reason he is joining...I show and tell him about this site all the time an he finally decided to check it out himself...and join us here!

So...I have already planted the seed based on my own opinion...but I would like him to come to his own!

Not based on what I have shown him thus far...but what he finds for himself!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalamatas

I'm sorry and no offence OP but your question does kinda suck by nature and I vote this post the most blatant use of intelligence and sarcasm of the night, all in a one liner while not being short on meaning.
^ ^

I have this "friend" and somehow he and his axe collection have decided to join ATS, did I mention he has been charged for stalking?

might have made a better title.

And otherwise, oh...tell him you are one of the Mod's but not allowed to say which one.

edit on 14/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

I'm sorry and no offence OP but your question does kinda suck by nature and I vote this post the most blatant use of intelligence and sarcasm of the night.
^ ^

I have this "friend" and somehow he and his axe collection have decided to join ATS, did I mention he has been charged for stalking?

might have made a better title.

And otherwise, oh...tell him you are one of the Mod's but not allowed to say which one.

Yikes...well I thought the title was okay....but it obviously caught you the wrong way!

As far as being the most blatant use of intelligence and sarcasm...I can only say I mean this in all seriousness...I was asking for advice...on something that is new to me!

As for being a mod...well...no...I am not...and I would not lie and say such a thing...he is my friend...I don't know how you treat yours...but that is not how I treat mine!

I'll look into a better thread title...you have a suggestion?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think you just did..........

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno

Just did what?

Asked for advice...yes I did!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Just did what?

How are you planning on hiding this thread from your friend?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

My bad, it was an attempt at humour that possibly landed or was launched badly. No ill harm meant at all to you or your friend. People on here can be funny sometimes and I am easily carried away. In all seriousness...
I think your friend might look at your threads first a little and then dig deeper and in different directions on his own. Or he could just become a "new thread junkie" like me, who does little else than hang out on the front page.

Peace

edit on 14/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

ETA S n F'd for your perceived insult. I believe I am the only one so far, we're skeptics! No offence meant.
edit on 15/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Exactly what Kalamatas said. Let your friend know that he/she should voice their own opinions and ideas. Good luck!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Just did what?

Why would I hide it?

This would be a good one for him to see...as a community on ATS...people are more than willing to help and offer up advise right?

Here is a good example of that...I hope he does see this thread....it is about him after all....this is a nice place to start after his official introduction!

Hopefully his introduction is met with a bit more welcoming than this thread was!

I am sure he would appreciate it!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Just did what?

Why would I hide it?

This would be a good one for him to see...as a community on ATS...people are more than willing to help and offer up advise right?

Here is a good example of that...I hope he does see this thread....it is about him after all....this is a nice place to start after his official introduction!

Hopefully his introduction is met with a bit more welcoming than this thread was!

I am sure he would appreciate it!

Okay? Then why don't you just discuss this with your friend? You're making it as though it's not something you can address to him directly. I'm sure your friend can use his own mind so just tell him to not not hinge his beliefs on yours. End scene.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

1 Friend joins ATS with username LightSpeedNutcase.
2 Friend makes post, says "Hi!".
3 Done.
It's Saturday night. This is what my level is.

In other words, get yer friend in here, he will be welcomed like everyone else!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I recently had a family member join ATS and what I did was showing her the index with all the subjects and let her find the ones she was interested in.

That way you're not pressuring them to follow your own ideas, but you're still there for them in case they have any problems.

Good luck with your friend

edit on 15-1-2012 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kalamatas

Okay? Then why don't you just discuss this with your friend? You're making it as though it's not something you can address to him directly. I'm sure your friend can use his own mind so just tell him to not not hinge his beliefs on yours. End scene.

Your exactly right...it is not something I can discuss with him directly!

He is a few years younger...and is easily swayed to things!

He is a bright young fellow who needs to see what you see here...and for himself...not holding on to the belt loops of someone...I don't think that I can convey that message...so I am asking for ideas.

His beliefs thus far are hinged on mine...I convinced him he needed to check out this site...based on what I have shown and told him...but I want him to be independent...like I came to this site...and make up his own mind.

It's difficult for sure...I am willing to help...but would like him to see it for the first time as I saw it....open his own eyes at his own speed!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I think you will be fine .
There are husband and wife teams on here,how bad do you think that could get.

he knows you,you know him,stay out of each others business like in real life,cause this is not real,it's virtual.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

This is why I hang on the new thread page, it is a varied range of subjects rather than just say diving into the forum. Hot news, as it happens or sometimes (thankfully!) doesn't.
A few "lesser posts" sometimes turn epic in their own little way.
Discussions here are easily started.
Good ones too.

I try to limit myself to kitty's... and humour, it's generally safer.

Gotta havz a cat-chi title

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

You just did.........i.e. if he's on here, he's just seen what you have said

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I got to ask,what species are you m or f.
I have to ask that before further comment.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join