It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman put in jail for being poor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Sorry if this is posted already. The woman was already released from jail before it aired. A shame these don't get out in time to protest the local city halls where these bully tactics are being used. I can't figure the logic in it. The fine was dismissed due to the jail time. So, they lose almost $500 off the top and how many thousand keeping her locked up? Professional politician's math I guess.
rt.com...

edit on 14-1-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

That's what happens when you don't pay a fine...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

but they shouldn't throw you in jail for not being able to pay it without selling a kidney

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tetriswoooo

True.

What comes to mind is...Did the woman tell them she couldn't pay? Or did she just ignore it hoping it will go away?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It was her property. As long as there's no danger to others, what business is it of the law? This is a tactic to milk taxpayers out every last penny the gov can.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

And I've answered my own question...

The town cited Ruggles for a "clean lot violation" in December 2010 after neighbors complained, saying her mess was driving down their property values.

A municipal judge ordered Ruggles to pay the fine or go to jail for 10 days. Officials say she didn’t pay the fine within 90 days and then ignored court appearances and warnings from the town. After a year of trying to resolve the situation, Ruggles was arrested on Jan. 5.

"We went well beyond what we were required to do," Police Chief Harry Sewell, who told The Post and Courier he even knocked on her door personally in the hopes of finding a solution, said. "We really did take a compassionate approach."

usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

The town cited Ruggles for a "clean lot violation" in December 2010 after neighbors complained, saying her mess was driving down their property values.

A municipal judge ordered Ruggles to pay the fine or go to jail for 10 days. Officials say she didn’t pay the fine within 90 days and then ignored court appearances and warnings from the town. After a year of trying to resolve the situation, Ruggles was arrested on Jan. 5.

"We went well beyond what we were required to do," Police Chief Harry Sewell, who told The Post and Courier he even knocked on her door personally in the hopes of finding a solution, said. "We really did take a compassionate approach."

usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

Here we have the real reason she was arrested and jailed, well discovered star for that

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by imnothereru

Hmmmm,

No offence goldenruled but that was some really FOXy reporting there.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Normally a person who cannot pay a fine is allowed to work community service to pay it off. I see that she ignored the Court for over a year. I would suggest she ignored the Court and was forced to deal with it when other alternatives may have been available. She worked part time at the grocery store so I believe she could have performed the community service over time. I feel sorry for her situation but being poor does not permit one to ignore the law.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
That's the racket they have- and now, I'm 44, I've seen this develop - they LOVE to get kids 18, 19- kids barely adults - on some trumped up something - like drinking under age - something that used to be perfectly legal at that age and STILL IS for military troops.

SO then they get them on probation, and they have probation costs along with their fines. They have to go in once a week - and be on time, with maybe a drug test now or then, maybe not. But if they mess up, then they get more fines, more fees. of if they get caught smoking dope at a party, they jerk their drivers license until they take a class as if they'd got caught for DUI. In fact, they are DUIs, even if the folks were no where near a car when they got arrested.

My neighbor made a TON teaching those classes. Enough to move from our little middle class neighborhood into a fancy gated community. We watched as her little Toyota turned into a Caddy...

I wonder what percent of the young population they get like that - basically supporting a whole workforce of police - it's all moral crimes too - drinking, drugs...

So then the kids (Cause at this point in my life about anyone under 25 is a kid to me) are working making minimum wage and trying to pay these fees, so they let their car insurance slide - BOOM - got them on that too.

It's almost as if a system of slavery has developed to keep the police force alive. It's a big, big money maker.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by imnothereru

usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

Here we have the real reason she was arrested and jailed, well discovered star for that

Wow, star for stating that the woman was posted as the poster child for not paying fines, but these fines did not happen, nor have they happened until the last few decades.

Lol evict her, put her in jail, and crucify her, a non paying citizen huh

wow the world of the ignorant folk, christ, our grand-parents would be rolling in their graves with the taxes that must be payed, and the ignorance that keeps it enforced

thanks for the laugh citizen, minus the land

Remember Locke

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

Remember the source of her accused crimes, and that it's defending it's actions. Seldom are things ever that simple. Still looking for other sides. Maybe something with a little less headline shock and awe for you.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by allprowolfy

Originally posted by imnothereru

usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

Wow, star for stating that the woman was posted as the poster child for not paying fines, but these fines did not happen, nor have they happened until the last few decades.

Lol evict her, put her in jail, and crucify her, a non paying citizen huh

wow the world of the ignorant folk, christ, our grand-parents would be rolling in their graves with the taxes that must be payed, and the ignorance that keeps it enforced

thanks for the laugh citizen, minus the land

Remember Locke

No not a star for arresting her and throwing her in jail read it properly, and i didnt giver her a star for it either, i gave him a star for finding out the real reason she was thrown in jail,

not that she was thrown in jail for not paying a fine a fact that she had avoided all court summonses and instead of dealing with the situation she stuck her head in the sand and ignored it. The op did not post the real reason why she was jailed he posted that she was jailed for not paying a fine , not that she had been avoiding it for a year ......read it properly please

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
reply to post by Rafe_

Remember the source of her accused crimes, and that it's defending it's actions. Seldom are things ever that simple. Still looking for other sides. Maybe something with a little less headline shock and awe for you.

Coherency ,much you need of it more

*The SOPA does not agree with the unlawful use of this picture*

And was that a insult in there? I really do not see any reason for that. I was obviously being very lighthearted in my response. Also the story has been highlighted from both sides now in the thread,what is your point?

edit on 15-1-2012 by Rafe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by imnothereru

Yes indeed.

The reason that the woman stuck her head in the sand might well be because she did not have the money. On the other hand it might just as well have been a middle finger but the fact of the matter is that court summons have been ignored for over a year. Where i am from you get the costs for those added for not showing up.

I do believe she does not have the money but i also believe she could have solved it differently for that reason and yes i do feel bad for her and other people in positions like that, It is a regretful situation either way.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

unconstitutional violation of equal protection clause.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
She was jailed for not paying a fine, not for being poor. Of course, it's RT so I wouldn't expect less of them to make that the headline.

That being said, that was pretty ridiculous of the city to fine her that much for basically having a messy front yard. It's her yard, and she should be able to have whatever she wants in it as long it's not unhealthy to the community.

/TOA

top topics

join