It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Freedom Based On Your Age?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I have been thinking about this for awhile.
The older I get ,the less I think about what others think about me,or even the government.

I am on the the road to becoming an old grumpy bastard who could care less what someone thinks.

Does that come with age and wisdom.

I have done my time on this place, not ATS ,but the world.Young people don't want to listen to me anymore,til they need my help.Then I kind of laugh at them,give them the advice they need .
I remember when I was like that,knowing better then someone older then me.
I was invincible,indestructible,now I can only hope I can make it the next 10 years till retirement to do whatever I want.

Is this the freedom so many seek.

I mean,really,I'm only 47 years old.

In a few years my first born will be driving a car and then out the door.

I remember being so concerned about what others around me thought,it was almost paralyzing.
Now,they could go f^&k themselves for all I care.

Just my thoughts on my aging process,thats all.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

flag,, for becoming a Grumpy old Bastard...

Star, for not caring..

high-five for joining the rest of us G.O.B.'s

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

i kinda had a thought on that..

i realize our country has grown a bit but didnt the age of consent to be an adult be like the teens or something?..
i mean now even tho we live in a society where i knew how to use a computer better than my parents at age 8 im stuck watching everyone fail on what matters til im 18 and allowed to work but child labor laws and consent age make those who want to change the world and have the drive burn out way before opportunity does, and wait til the market and economy collapses and we are systematically released into the open market..

I mean even the Gov looks at us this way.. your publicly trade birth certificate gains alot more value when u turn 18

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I wonder often what people mean by "being free" - in my personal opinion, I have always been free - I never cared what others thought, I've always been free to make choices, free to think what I want, and luckily I still live in a country where I'm free to say what I think without fear of getting smacked down
... at least for the most part, depends who I said it to

I do believe freedom is nothing more than a state of mind - and even if I didn't have the luxury of living in a generally free society (yeah some will argue), they can't control my thoughts (or can they!!! ahhhhhhh) let me go head and shut up now

I'm glad to hear you're feeling more and more free
I highly recommend it.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
And,yet, I cling on to those few precious years I have left with my children.
Time is short in our lives,I have realized that now.

Before I know it,I will be an empty nester, wanting my kids to come visit me.
Nah,they can move on the live their lives as I move on to continue on with mine.
On a beach.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

flag,, for becoming a Grumpy old Bastard...

Star, for not caring..

high-five for joining the rest of us G.O.B.'s

Is that what it's called,the G.O.B. club?
Or the D.G A.S club,you figure it out since you are so smart.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

I wonder often what people mean by "being free" - in my personal opinion, I have always been free - I never cared what others thought, I've always been free to make choices, free to think what I want, and luckily I still live in a country where I'm free to say what I think without fear of getting smacked down
... at least for the most part, depends who I said it to

I do believe freedom is nothing more than a state of mind - and even if I didn't have the luxury of living in a generally free society (yeah some will argue), they can't control my thoughts (or can they!!! ahhhhhhh) let me go head and shut up now

I'm glad to hear you're feeling more and more free
I highly recommend it.

If you have kids,you are not free.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MalusLupusthePain

i kinda had a thought on that..

i realize our country has grown a bit but didnt the age of consent to be an adult be like the teens or something?..
i mean now even tho we live in a society where i knew how to use a computer better than my parents at age 8 im stuck watching everyone fail on what matters til im 18 and allowed to work but child labor laws and consent age make those who want to change the world and have the drive burn out way before opportunity does, and wait til the market and economy collapses and we are systematically released into the open market..

I mean even the Gov looks at us this way.. your publicly trade birth certificate gains alot more value when u turn 18

Ok,what just happened there with ban?
This was about freedom.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

When your old you get...social security and maybe disability since alot of old people are disabled. Then you get to retire so your basically free. You get paid to pay your bills and you dont have to work anymore

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Freedom is based on only one thing:
Wealth

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

If I have kids I'm not free? how does that work?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

No,you are not free,when you have responsibility to those children.
You can't just hop on a plane to fly some where on a moments notice, or go to a bar on a tuesday night to hang out with your friends cause you have to arrange babysitters.
You can't just go and leave your kids home alone.

Apparently you don't have kids.

So,no you are not free to do what ever you chose to do.
edit on 15-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

When your old you get...social security and maybe disability since alot of old people are disabled. Then you get to retire so your basically free. You get paid to pay your bills and you dont have to work anymore

Uhm,I got some 20 years before I can collect social security,disability,well unless I have a heart attack or throw my back out,then no.
You need to work on your home work cause there will be nothing there for you.
Save,Save,Save!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

You can't just hop on a plane to fly some where on a moments notice, or go to a bar on a tuesday night to hang out with your friends cause you have to arrange babysitters.

I have an 18 year old and a 20 year old and here is where you make your mistake.

YOU ARE FREE to choose to hop on a plane whether you have kids or not. You choose not to - thats your freedom.

Just ask any bad parent.
edit on 15-1-2012 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

mine are 10 years old and 13 years old.
get the picture?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

You don't seem to get the picture - its still your choice. Just because you choose to do what most would consider to be the right thing, doesn't mean you didn't have the choice to do the wrong thing. Thats what freedom is.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

I have an 18 year old and a 20 year old and here is where you make your mistake.

YOU ARE FREE to choose to hop on a plane whether you have kids or not. You choose not to - thats your freedom.

Just ask any bad parent.
edit on 15-1-2012 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

I guess you are right,if I choose to abandon my children,then in fact I am free to do what ever.Tell me where I make my mistake in my statement now.
Freedom is a choice and I chose to be a good parent,is that your logic?
I am lost in what you have stated,when my children have grown and left the house,I will be free,but not really.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
As it is with many young people and older people, the younger are out doing their thing and do not have time to listen to the older folks anyway. When they do make themselves noticed, they are often perceived as "far out" or weird"

The depth of wisdom of an older person is seen in their eyes. They have a direct, penetrating stare- it looks right through you, seeming to know. Profound issues are their concern, not the trivial. They want to get right to the heart of the matter and skip all the superficialities...

My idea when you have children that grownup and leave home your not free they always need you at some point in there life i do with mine i always want them to know there needed wanted and loved ive always listened to my parents and older people they have knowleage..

I think every young person should take one day out of there busy lives and sit down and talk to an older person they just might learn a few things about life with age comes wisdom..grumpy old bastards are ok in my book..

peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

you're getting closer

how bout try this on instead

You are Free to Choose to have children.
Which you did.
That choice had consequences.

So what is it you really want? The ability to choose without consequence? Thats not freedom, thats a pipe dream.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

you're getting closer

how bout try this on instead

You are Free to Choose to have children.
Which you did.
That choice had consequences.

So what is it you really want? The ability to choose without consequence? Thats not freedom, thats a pipe dream.

Now,listen Forevever,I don't want to fight with you over this,cause you are ok.

I waited till I was 33 years old to have children,well,that is my wife to have children,my part only lasted a few minutes,god bless her.

My point is the freedom and ability to just walk out the door at anytime,drive down the road and enjoy a cold beverage on the beach.

You are way to serious about this subject.

I'm not talking about becoming a Bonnie and Clyde,out robbing banks and killing people.

The freedom from being a worker,a parent which I know that is forever.

Just like my inlaws,they will pick up and fly out to vegas on a moments notice.
My parents will just all of a sudden decide to go on a 2000 mile drive for a week.

Maybe it's the middle part,cause when I was 27,no wife or kids,went on a 2 week vacation ,drove 3000 miles to the grand canyon,to LA ,to many places camping out the whole time.

Jeez,maybe I'm having a mid life's crisis again.
Winter time will do that to me .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join