It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruins of the tower of Babel, Nebuchadnezzar II's Palace.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I found some interesting information on the tower of babel and it's location. As some may know and others may not, the tower of Babel was a tower that was supposed to have been built within the history of the bible, deep within antiquity. The short story goes that mankind sought to surpass God and make of name for themselves and so they set about building this huge ziggurat that was 8 tiers up and 300 feet high. This structure was literally the world's first skyscraper, but disaster befell them and the tower went unfinished and is thought to have collapsed in upon itself. The tower was supposed to be a remnant from the post-flood era and the tower's building was commisioned by Nimrod, the father of Tammuz the first false Christ figure.

The tower of Babel was built using mud or clay baked into bricks, commonly known as adobe bricks as stone was not readily at hand nor any quarries near from which to quarry stone from.

Alexander the Great and Nebuchadnezzar II both sought to rebuild the ruined tower and both failed. Alexander the Great managed to move the brick to another location that he deemed more suitable and more stable to build upon but his death halted the reconstruction and the only trace remaining of the tower is the foundation that was left behind.

Thankfully during Operation Iraqi Freedom and the subsequent rebuilding of the Iraqi infrastructure, the ruins were left unharmed and intact and can now be seen using google earth using the co-ordinates 32.5362583°N 44.4208252°E which should put you due south of Barnun. The interesting thing is that you can actually see the ruins of Nebuchadnezzar II's palace about 1 km north if the tower ruins. Saddam Hussein had commissioned archeaologists to restore and rebuild the babylonian king's palace and he had planned to live there and often claimed to be a direct decendant of Nebuchadnezzar II and he had a desire to restore ancient Babylon to it's former glory.

As we can see, the bible has an uncanny historical reference that biblical archeaologists have used time and again to find ancient and lost cities and shouldn't be dismissed as nonsense and without that book the locations of these sites may have been lost forever to time. Who knows, maybe the next site they find could be King Solomon's Mines. An open mind will allow you to explore things most people consider fairy tales or the impossible, but can yield surprising results. All myths and legends and stories have truth in them, finding those truths are the adventure.
edit on 14-1-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
went to long/lat got this site from name on there
etemenanki
www.livius.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well Troy was considered mythical for a millennia until Schliemann rediscovered it in the 19 century. I don't know why anyone would assume that stuff written by ancient historians or poets was completely fictional. Only facts based in truth survive the ages.

Herodotus gives a great description of Babylon in his history. It was quite a city back in the day, to say the least. A perfect square, dissected in half by a river, with multiple massive walls on each side, each increasing in height and painted different colors.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

As long as there are people around to keep the stories alive, these places will always be found. It will be a tragedy when the day comes when men think they know enough that they should believe they can readily discard those ancient stories in persuit of their own desires for knowledge. The ancients knew far more than modern man gives them credit for and modern man has grown too big for his breeches and often thinks that we are the only advanced civilization to ever inhabit this planet.
edit on 14-1-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It's a shame Alexander destroyed the foundations of the Tower of Babylon, but then he did end up dying at Nebuchadnezzar's Palace. What goes around comes around?

(of course he was poisoned by Aristotle, but that's another conspiracy for another day)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Star & Flag for you lonewolf19792000. Just a short post from me saying well done on finding this out and bringing it to our attentions
I believe too that many are fools thinking that we are the only advanced civilization to have graced this planet thus far. There is a lot of truth as you have said regarding folk tales, myths & legends but it is such a shame that many mock the stories handed down from generation to generation.

I believe there are far more sinister motives behind invasions of foreign countries but this can not be proved it is after all just hear say...

Nice thread & thank you once again.

edit on 14/1/2012 by theguygeeza because: Spelling mistake

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

S & F
Interesting thread. I'll check out the location on Google Earth.
Thanks for posting your thoughts.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Let us also not forget that when God destroyed the tower of Babel that is when he dispersed the people to different nations by confusing their languages.........now that to me is interesting. So your Friend John all of a sudden speaks French the next day and decides to move because nobody understands him??? I wonder how that all worked out.

Good Find OP!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

There is no evidence at all to prove, or even reliably indicate, that the Etemenanki is the Tower of Babel.

If it was, then the Tower of Babel was only about 300 feet tall. Jehovah must have been pretty nervous about his own godly powers if he thought a 300-foot tower constituted a threat to his divinity.

The Tower of Babel story, like most of the rest of Genesis, is myth. It may have been founded in fact, but the facts are lost to history and would look awfully puny if they were ever discovered. Noah's Ark was probably a houseboat with a few cattle and chickens on board. The Tower of Babel was just the tallest mud-brick structure its builders had ever seen. And so on...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

There is no evidence at all to prove, or even reliably indicate, that the Etemenanki is the Tower of Babel.

If it was, then the Tower of Babel was only about 300 feet tall. Jehovah must have been pretty nervous about his own godly powers if he thought a 300-foot tower constituted a threat to his divinity.

The Tower of Babel story, like most of the rest of Genesis, is myth. It may have been founded in fact, but the facts are lost to history and would look awfully puny if they were ever discovered. Noah's Ark was probably a houseboat with a few cattle and chickens on board. The Tower of Babel was just the tallest mud-brick structure its builders had ever seen. And so on...

This isn't a thread about your opinion, this is a thread about an archeaological site, if you don't like it, go to another thread and troll.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

This isn't a thread about your opinion.

Agreed. It appears to be a thread about your opinion.

This is a thread about an archeaological site.

Then why not call it that, instead of saying it's the Tower of Babel?

As far as I can see, the only justification for such a pretence is that this ruined ziggurat is a big ruined ziggurat, and the Tower of Babel was supposed to have been big.

If you have any evidence of a closer connexion than that, do post it. Then the thread won't be about anyone's opinion any more.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
Well Troy was considered mythical for a millennia until Schliemann rediscovered it in the 19 century. I don't know why anyone would assume that stuff written by ancient historians or poets was completely fictional. Only facts based in truth survive the ages.

Howdy

Two points; Schliemann didn't find it, Frank Calvert did and there is still some doubt as if that particular city and level is actually Homer'sTroy. A few years ago a Hittite description referenced the site and a spring that strenghten the argument but the crucial piece of evidence; the location of the Greek camp eludes archaeologists. Myth? The Greeks knew where it was as did the Romans-Roman tourists use to visit it regularly as Roman's considered the Trojans to be their mythical ancestors. The site was abandoned in the (I believe) the 6th or 7th century AD.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Yes, fair enough. I only mentioned Schliemann as he's a lot more famous, but Calvert deserves the credit.

As for the Greek camp. It was in the bay and is now - presumably- under a lot of sand and water.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Howdy Lonewulf

the bible has an uncanny historical reference that biblical archeaologists have used time and again to find ancient and lost cities and shouldn't be dismissed as nonsense and without that book the locations of these sites may have been lost forever to time

No the bible was written using locale's the locals were aware of when they wrote down the stories they had been told by others or at least the names of cities and general places - nothing particularly mysterious about it. Without the bible the ruins would have probably been found eventually as it was described as 'an enormous tower built on the plains of shinar'. Not exactly grid coordiates...lol

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
there had to have been a lot more intrigues in building the Tower (Entenemaki) in Babylon than just a mud bricked, 8 tiered, 300' cone in the arid lands of Mesopotamia.

the technology was there... as the Pyramids or at least the Sphinx is estimated to have been there for 10,000 years

the great pyramid is a lot taller than that fabled tower at close to 500 feet tall and built of enduring stone...

hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/PerkhaAhmed.shtml
"When newly completed, the Great Pyramid rose 146.7 m (481.4 ft)--nearly 50 stories high."" 146.7 m. Measurements of the Great Pyramid,

the modern Washington monument is 555 foot tall by comparison...

now if 'G-d' was threatened in the group mindset of the Tower builders, simple earthquakes and rains or a swollen Euphrates would forestall the cone-shaped tower from its dedication ceremony...

the act of confounding the languages so the builders would become a splintered group and start wandering off in their own pursuits sounds illogical... because some Babylonians would encounter the Indus Empire or even the first Dynasty of Oriental-Asians which were thriving even as the early building engineers of Babylon were building a gigantic waste of time & energy

i have personal doubts that the 10,000 year old foundation is actually that of the unique & fabled 'Tower',
there were dozens even scores of those 'Observatories' all over the regional empires & city-states of that era.
And the Idea that the Tower was really a Learning Center for occult Astrology does not figure correct to me...

The Tower only was 'real' in the pages of Ancient writing &/or scriptures... a literary device, thank you

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
One theory put out years ago (1950?) was that the story of the Tower of Babel arose from the gathering of prisoner from many nations to build the tower. As these men all spoke different languages - and this caused a great deal of difficulty in building - the story arose that 'God did it'.

I see a date of '10,000' being bandered about - where did this come from?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I recall that the Book of Jasher says that the tower of Babel was so tall that before it was abandoned, it took a full year to haul the bricks from ground level to the top.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
reply to post by Hanslune

Yes, fair enough. I only mentioned Schliemann as he's a lot more famous, but Calvert deserves the credit.

As for the Greek camp. It was in the bay and is now - presumably- under a lot of sand and water.

Howdy Foxmulder

Here is the most recent findings for the search for the Greek camp:

The city of Troy itself stood on a hill, across the plain of Scamander, where the battles of the Trojan War took place. The site of the ancient city is some 5 km from the coast today, but the ancient mouths of Scamander, some 3,000 years ago, were about that distance inland, pouring into a large bay that formed a natural harbour that has since been filled with alluvial material. Recent geological findings have permitted the reconstruction of how the original Trojan coastline would have looked, and the results largely confirm the accuracy of the Homeric geography of Troy. In November 2001, geologists John C. Kraft from the University of Delaware and John V. Luce from Trinity College, Dublin presented the results of investigations, begun in 1977, into the geology of the region. They compared the present geology with the landscapes and coastal features described in the Iliad and other classical sources, notably Strabo's Geographia, and concluded that there is a regular consistency between the location of Schliemann's Troy and other locations such as the Greek camp, the geological evidence, descriptions of the topography and accounts of the battle in the Iliad. Further work by John Kraft and others was published in 2003

From the wiki

However no one has found the exact site, it is possible that the Greeks removed everything or some natural occurence destroyed the site or - the war didn't last ten years but was over in a short period of time and little debris built up

Study on the geology

There are also other scholarly opinions as to where the camp might be

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
I recall that the Book of Jasher says that the tower of Babel was so tall that before it was abandoned, it took a full year to haul the bricks from ground level to the top.

Howdy Lazarus

I believe you will find that the Book of Jasher was a Elizabethian hoax. The bible does speak of it; 2 Samuel 1:18 and Joshua 10:13 but the one alleged copy that showed up was considered a forgery.

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Originally posted by Lazarus Short

Howdy Lazarus

I believe you will find that the Book of Jasher was a Elizabethian hoax. The bible does speak of it; 2 Samuel 1:18 and Joshua 10:13 but the one alleged copy that showed up was considered a forgery.

Proof? I have been wondering about that book for some time - growing doubts, odd discrepancies, need input, pls. I am currently writing a book using Jasher as a source, so I don't want to undermine myself.
edit on 17-1-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join