It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

FCC: Still Relevant Today?

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The FCC has made the news recently regarding decency laws in the United States. I started thinking about my own perspective on the FCC and its regulations. Apparently, The Supreme Court has been involved with a couple cases involving Fox and the FCC.


Social conservatives and libertarians are taking opposite sides in a Supreme Court case involving the regulation of indecency on broadcast television. In FCC v. Fox Television Stations Inc., the Court will decide if the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) violated broadcast networks Freedom of Speech when they were fined for profanity and nudity.


I got thinking about television programming and my feelings about this type of regulation. I got thinking about what I wanted and didn't want my six year old exposed to while watching T.V. Personally, I think too many people are happy blaming others for poor parenting skills. I think it is the responsibility of the parent to monitor a child's activities while watching television, and more importantly, internet usage. I think the internet represents a bigger problem than television. But, regardless, it's my job as a parent to make sure T.V. programming in my house is age-appropriate. Now, politically, I'm right in the middle on most issues. I guess I'm socially liberal, however, I don't think I mind a little censureship and monitoring during peak times for children's television programming.


Gacek also believes that the broadcast networks should be set aside as a place where consumers know they can watch TV without inadvertently being exposed to indecency.


I guess I kinda feel the same way. Of course, when my child is watching television, he is restricted to certain channels, limiting as much inadvertent indecency as possible. What do you think? How do you feel as parents?

What do you think about FCC monitoring? Is the FCC still relative today?

Supreme Court Case...




posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
There isn't a single clause in our Constitution that provides any level of the federal government with the power to regulate broadcast transmissions, based on moral decency. That type of regulation needs to be handled at the state level. People in Kansas, I'm sure, would have a different opinion on what is appropriate than the people in, say, New Jersey or New York. So, yes, the FCC has far overstayed its welcome.



posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
Personally, I think too many people are happy blaming others for poor parenting skills. I think it is the responsibility of the parent to monitor a child's activities while watching television, and more importantly, internet usage.


S&F just for that - I never thought the FCC was relevant - Hell, as an 8 year old I managed to find a way to hack the cable box and tune into playboy channel


But I digress and leave you with this ♥



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwdogg1982
There isn't a single clause in our Constitution that provides any level of the federal government with the power to regulate broadcast transmissions, based on moral decency. That type of regulation needs to be handled at the state level. People in Kansas, I'm sure, would have a different opinion on what is appropriate than the people in, say, New Jersey or New York. So, yes, the FCC has far overstayed its welcome.


I think you make a good point about what's Not in the Constitution. I don't think the Feds should regulate most of the issues that were not foreseen by the Constitution. Let the states handle these issues.



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever
 


I think my beer just went up my nose! Ha ha


If you did that at 8 years old, shouldn't you be working for the FBI now or CIA by now..,lol



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911
 


It is unconstitutional. It is a violation of freedom of expression/speech. If you don't want your child seeing or watching certain things, then block the channels and pay attention to what your child is watching - it's that simple.

There are also ratings to help you know if the show is appropriate for children. If you have rating why do we still need censorship? It is up to the parents to monitor what their child is watching.



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by Cosmic911
 


It is unconstitutional. It is a violation of freedom of expression/speech. If you don't want your child seeing or watching certain things, then block the channels and pay attention to what your child is watching - it's that simple.

There are also ratings to help you know if the show is appropriate for children. If you have rating why do we still need censorship? It is up to the parents to monitor what their child is watching.


I think most reasonable people would agree. Its what I believe. It should be this simple. This should be a state issue not a federal issue. The Feds have their hands in way too much. Government is too big. We don't need the FCC to tell us what to watch. I certainly don't need a corrupt bunch of politicians telling me what's morally acceptable! lol. Its laughable. Where do they get off trying to be the moral compass. Hysterical.



posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by Forevever
 


I think my beer just went up my nose! Ha ha


If you did that at 8 years old, shouldn't you be working for the FBI now or CIA by now..,lol

haha no, I may have exagerated
hacking this box (img.jpg) was as simple as only pressing keys in halfway, pushing 2 keys down at the same time, and/or rotating the little wheel far enough that it brings in the next channel



new topics

top topics



 
1

log in

join