It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory : psychosomatic symptoms of exposure to electromagnetic fields

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
what if electromagnetic fields radiating from televisions , computers or mobile phones could be linked to brain activity in certain areas of the brain ?
what if an overexposure to these fields caused an overactivity in certain areas of the brain ?
what are your thoughts on this ?
namaste

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BoB420

i am in no way an expert but it seems to me to be a possibility

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BoB420

This is a question that could be answered with scientific studies. Numerous studies have been performed on things like cell phones, but the main focus there seems to be a link to brain tumors for heavy users.

The reason I wouldn't perform a scientific study on this is, I'd expect a null result, and there are better uses of my time. But if another scientist wanted to study it and felt it was worthwhile, I wouldn't try to discourage the study, I just don't happen to agree.

I think the behavioral changes have nothing at all to do with electromagnetic radiation, but rather, with the devices themselves. For example overuse of electronic devices may result in people substituting their on-line relationships for real-world relationships, etc. This I think would be an interesting field of study that would yield results and there's a thread on ATS about this:

Omg, surely not !!! "Internet addiction 'disrupts brain'

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BoB420

There is some evidence sayeth the sayers. I remember the big controversy way back in the 70's about hi voltage power lines being strung to close to domaciles and what not. Then there is home electric wiring, and a host of other Electro Magnetic Field concerns listed in here:

source of emissions

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people belong to the TFH club. My brother's wife believes that the wiring in the walls of her home cause "EMF" which causes mold which gives her headaches... (swear to god). She combats this problem by covering the windows in her home with aluminum foil.

Oh, TFH stands for Tin Foil Hat... its a big club.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by BoB420

There is some evidence sayeth the sayers. I remember the big controversy way back in the 70's about hi voltage power lines being strung to close to domaciles and what not.
The OP asked about "televisions , computers or mobile phones". None of those put out EM fields comparable to high voltage power lines, though if you press a mobile phone against your head the close proximity to the source could be an issue and even the phone makers don't recommend that...they specify a minimum distance to keep the phone away from your head, usually this minimum is slightly less than an inch but check your owner's manual.

I think the jury is still out on high voltage power lines, regarding the minimum safe distance from a residence to the power line. The field strength drops off rapidly with distance so if you're at least 200 meters away I suspect that's plenty; even less may be safer once the jury comes back in with a decision. But until that happens, I wouldn't want to live directly under a high voltage power line.

new topics

top topics

join