It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Will Not Support SOPA

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

The left is for communism in europe? What kind of communism? "classeless and stateless society" by karl marx or communism as the ex-ussr was?? Please enlighten me with your unlimited light Aloysius the Great Gaul!!

"What work have you done" to be of such an opinion

I gather by this that you do not travel to the east...up seven steps..on the level or on the square??

edit on 1/15/2012 by EarthCitizen07 because: parce que je peux

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I wonder how much public opinion info was gathered off the facebooks and the forums.

How big a roll did all those government contractors play.

Next we'll see the sockpuppets start a campaign

How ironic.

I wonder how much this all cost the taxpayers ?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Problem: Headline Does Not Match Story

CALGARIAN used the Huffington Post's headline properly, but the headline itself doesn't seem to match the actual story.

Here's what the White House said:

Combating Online Piracy while Protecting an Open and Innovative Internet

Maybe I missed it, but as best I can tell, there is nothing in that statement which claims the White House won't support SOPA or PIPA. It just outlines its position on the issues, which may well be very much in line with the form SOPA/PIPA will actually take.

Looking at the Huffington Post article, the actual text of the story likewise does not seem to support the headline in any way. There's nothing from any source cited in the article which establishes in any way, shape or form that the White House will not support SOPA.

So where, exactly, did the basis for the headline come from, and why is the Huffington Post running it?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Good Point !

The article looks like a super sensational hyped up effort to further the cause against any legislation that might suggest censorship (not necessarily a bad thing however).

I would go further and suggest that there may be a Lobbyist conspiracy also.

If Lobbyists can heavily influence Congress on legislation, they can certainly "talk" them into introducing controversial bills that would pit any two sides of an issue against each other.

Thus, the Lobbyists get paid big fees by both sides, and Congress gets to continue their agendas of sloppiness and money laundering at our expense.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
If Obama doesn't sign off on SOPA then it's because he's getting pressure
from Google, Twitter, Facebook and the other big internet corporations that
have threatened a blackout. Ha! He's going to support it. Just another dog
and pony show.

He signed off on the NDAA, we've got detention centers set up all over the
country, we are being spied on every which way from Sunday and LE doesn't
need a warrant to do it, predator drones flying over major cities capable of
launching grenades at people, an economy on the verge of collapse with
people losing their homes and their jobs at record rates with no end in sight,
Americans are being assasinated without a trial. Oh and, how many
wars are we involved in? Maybe thats a moot point if it turns into one big war...
And do not forget the oil, protestors being brutalized and denied basic civil rights by
the police with brand new toys from the military or their buddies in the federal government
running guns and drugs to/for the Mexican drug cartels and laundering their drug money.
Please forgive my anxious, worrisome stream of consciousness but I just don't see how SOPA will
not be passed.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

White House Will Not Support SOPA

Well that just confirms it, they will back SOPA.

Yep. The smoke screen is in place. Left wing Huffington Post puts something out saying Obama is one of them afterall ... (just in time for the election cycle!) but what Obama is doing IRL and behind the scenes seems to be something else entirely.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Everything Obama says he does the opposite. This should read Obama says he loves the SOPA laws and demanded they be written. He is undoubtedly the biggest habitual liar the world has ever seen and believe the world has seen a lot of them. I would say he is a joke except no one is laughing. He definitely is mentally deranged or he wouldn't sleep at night with all the lies he has told and the things he has done.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

"Maybe this was all a set up"

Yes, and maybe I'm a three legged baby from mars. No, there was enough lobbying, corporate backing, and hidden deals in this whole SOPA thing that made it legit enough in my eyes. SOPA was and is still a real threat even if the White House doesn't support it. Yes, the president has to sign, but I've heard of signing statements and other things that could make the White Houses' disfavor irrelevant.

God forbid you agree with Obama on something. God forbid that Obama actually stands for something within your spectrum of belief. It must be a trick, an illusion of sorts.

Please, stop it ATS, stop it. You all know what I mean even if you pretend that you don't.

What do you expect.. This IS a conspiracy site, to say the least.

I'm not much on conspiracies, but I'm all about believing that there are hidden agendas here. I take alot of that goes on in the white house a "setup" to dupe the american masses.

Simply believing it cant happen is just as close minded as you're suggesting.

The reason I say this is... Through all the years of watching politics and the US powers, so much of what they do and say seems almost typcasted.

Ever watch a movie and before the movie plays out, you can guess pretty much every step of the way? Well... That's how I look at politics and powers within the US.
edit on 15-1-2012 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Look what VERO did to ebay., SOPA is VERO for the internet.

Boise threatened to sue me because I sold a pair of headphones on ebay, that were MINE . They were authentic.
Boise made me send in pictures of all the serial numbers on them or go to court. I sent them in but was still not allowed to list them. We now boycott this company.

Those that back SOPA want to see sights like ebay and craigslist gone all together. They want it so you can not
resell anything. Then you have states that already have yard sale laws, where you have to pay for a permit and only once a year.

So these companies want us to buy and not resell for their bottom dollar. What is theirs is theirs and what is ours is theirs. I have so had it with this. You want to see an end to this? We need to make lobbying and kickbacks illegal. It is the only way. These businesses pay off a few men to set law for an entire nation.
This should be illegal!! This entire subject really burns me to a high point of anger,

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Maybe this was all a set-up, so Obama could shut it down to gain votes and confidence... Because internet is a common interest amongst ALL North Americans for sure.

How did the bill get this far along, knowing it would get shut down? Interesting... Maybe it wasn't "tight" enough yet and was just an introductory? In a few year, it will be tweak and re-announced?

edit on 14-1-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

It's an election year. Time to start kissing butt to get people to forget the right's robbing legislation over the last 3 years and become pro-constitutional in the public eye.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Poopert Murdoch flies in to a rage on twitter

White House Rejects Online Anti-Piracy Bills, Which Throws Rupert Murdoch Into a Twitter Tizzy

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15-1-2012 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Bah, the president can say he wont sign this and wont sign that. I loved it how he said he would sign the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012, but did it.

In the end, they do what they are told by ... well, whoever is REALLY running the show.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I suspect that what is really going on here is that someone from Intel has explained that they are about to lose a seriously valuable intelligence and law enforcement collections tool to the White House. Right now they have the system all set up to monitor whats going on around the net, and to “flag” things deemed of interest. If SOPA passes then they will lose that ability, people will find another way to get around the system, and the intel communities infrastructure to monitor that would be undermined.

We must avoid legislation that drives users to dangerous, unreliable DNS servers and puts next-generation security policies, such as the deployment of DNSSEC, at risk.

Do you think that they care that users may get their machines thrashed from going through questionable servers? Heck no! They care about losing their ability to monitor whats going on out there, and undermining the existing laws to police it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 1/16/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Just wait till Obama gets re-elected and he will not have to worry about re-election.

You better hope he doesn't support SOPA.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Why does everything have to be a set-up?

The White House does not support it. Are you trying to find something that isn't there?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The White House is saying they will not support SOPA,what about PIPA? Joe Libermann is pushing it hard,I was just watching an interview with him and he's squawking about "national security." and so forth.As for Murdock I feel his pain...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join