It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacon & Sausages 'linked to pancreatic cancer'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Processed meat 'linked to pancreatic cancer'

www.bbc.co.uk...
January 12, 2012

They said eating an extra 50g of processed meat, approximately one sausage, every day would increase a person's risk by 19%.

But the chance of developing the rare cancer remains low.

The World Cancer Research Fund suggested the link may be down to obesity.

Eating red and processed meat has already been linked to bowel cancer. As a result the UK government recommended in 2011 that people eat no more than 70g a day....

...It found that eating processed meat increased the risk of pancreatic cancer. The risk increased by 19% for every 50g someone added to their daily diet. Having an extra 100g would increase the risk by 38%.

So my question to everyone is do you eat processed meat? Considering a machine grinds animal bits into uniform sausage links, it doesn't surprise us that these processed meats do nasty things to the body.

I hardly ever eat bacon or sausages or red meat. I find going after organically grown chicken/turkey is the way to go.

Just another reason to stay away from processed meats....and dairy also. You never know what you are eating, so unless you are 100% sure what is in the food you eat, better stay clear from it unless you don't wish to live longer than your potential.

Cheers, and healthy living.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
To bad oh so sad !

so many people i would tell the nastyness of bacon and sausages . But they brush me off hehe

Can't wait to share this link with some religious processed meat lovers lol.

Processed foods is only one of the problems , the other one is PORK . What a disgusting meat to consume.

yes to chicken turkey ! and steak when the wife wants to reward it w00t

take that ! bacon and sausages! i always knew we were not friends!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
They can pry my bacon and sausages from my cold dead fingers....

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

i wouldnt believe everything that you hear from the bbc

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
mmmm....BACON!

The almighty Pig Candy...

Been eating it all my life and my ancestors have been doing so for 1,000's of years. NOW it's bad?

Ain't buying it.

Same as carbs and proteins...one year they are good, another year BAD. I guess it all depends on who has a book or diet to sell the public.

When I'm eating my bacon, keep your fingers and small children clear because I won't be responsible for what happens if they get between me and my plate...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Great topic OP star+flag for you.

I used to eat sausages and bacon alot on rolls (Used to be nothing like a good breakfast roll
), But lately i find it very hard to eat any kinds of meat and i dont know why
, but after reading that i guess thats a good thing

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well im screwed then.
You can take my pancreas, but you will never take my freedo..... I mean bacon.
edit on 14-1-2012 by NoNameBrand because: (no reason given)

I think im going to have to get myself anew recipe from Epic Meal Time

If you have never seen these guys, go check them out. You will also learn some new uses for bacon (and jack daniels)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Ten years from now they'll find a link between tofu and face cancer.

Everything in moderation.

Except bacon. I like bacon-wrapped bacon sprinkled with bacon bits.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by vrlsh6

i wouldnt believe everything that you hear from the bbc

Considering it is 'processed' meat means that anything can be used to mechanically, chemically, artificially extract proteins from leftover cuttings of meat.

To further this thread though, consider another article posted by the Canadian CBC:

How much processed meat do you eat?

www.cbc.ca...

"Eating processed meats such as bacon or sausage may increase a person's risk of developing pancreatic cancer, according to a new survey.

A study by the British Journal of Cancer pooled together 11 other studies involving 6,643 people with pancreatic cancer. The data suggests an elevated risk of the disease when consuming processed meats."

I still wouldn't eat processed meats...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This comes as no surprise, we all knew these foods were bad for you. Our children are developing all sorts of health problems because of these companies. But yet some people have no choice, because of the brainwashing and government restrictions on growing your own produce etc. How can they get away with it? How come their food packaging doesnt have those warnings on them similar to the ones they put on cigarette packets? God knows what other chemicals they're putting in this stuff that they're not telling us about.

This may be may be a little off topic, but does anyone know the secret ingredient of coca cola? Surely by law they must declare what it is. Largest soft drinks company in the world. Could be fuoride...

Anyway, I will never give up bacon. It's just...too...goooooooooood.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I can kind of understand it tbh.

It's processed, it would be very hard to know exactly what's in processed food as things can be hidden like in bread for example, I read an article last year saying that there's a hell of a lot of salt in bread, although it's not listed as that much in the ingredients.

Here's one from the NHS I just found saying that "The key findings of the CASH survey were that one in four loaves of bread contained as much salt per slice as a packet of crisps"

www.nhs.uk...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
They can pry my bacon and sausages from my cold dead fingers....

LOL! No doubt!

Nothing like bacon wrapped around a stick of butter to start my day

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
You are breaking my heart
What can possibly be better than the processed pig??? Bacon is the best food ever!!!!! Crisp, salty, smoked, fried fat, YUM. Sausage is less rewarding cause they ruin the seasoned fat by adding meat, but hey, love them both.

Tis a sad sad day!!!!!!
edit on 14-1-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Is the increase the same for homemade sausage and home cured bacon?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
In moderation bacon and sausage are fine, just like junk food, alcohol, and fast food. Over consumption is the problem.

Having said that, can't wait to see what they say about Ramen noodles, because the way food prices keep going up, it's all I will be able to afford!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying
In moderation bacon and sausage are fine, just like junk food, alcohol, and fast food. Over consumption is the problem.

Having said that, can't wait to see what they say about Ramen noodles, because the way food prices keep going up, it's all I will be able to afford!

Welp, my wife tells me not to eat too much Ramen because it contains too much salt. I love it because it is cheap. Just drop and egg in it and BAM!

I agree with the moderation comment as well. It seems like these days EVERYTHING we eat, touch or breath will kill us.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by BLKMJK

Originally posted by justsaying

Welp, my wife tells me not to eat too much Ramen because it contains too much salt. I love it because it is cheap. Just drop and egg in it and BAM!

I agree with the moderation comment as well. It seems like these days EVERYTHING we eat, touch or breath will kill us.

Yes, it contains WAY to much sodium, and seriously, I don't eat them because of the sodium content, (I am slightly hypertensive). But the way food prices keep going up, they sodium packed processed foods will be all we will capable of buying!

I am studying nursing, which is an evidence based practice, and we see it over and over again that a diet high in fruits and vegetables with lean proteins and whole grains and lots of water is the most important health measure a person can do to help themselves. While I agree with all of that, I love the things I that are bad for me and SERIOUSLY, it's okay to enjoy them! just not everyday! Guilty pleasures are good for the soul! ; )

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Well at least they are well worth it, i mean who wants to live forever?
Nutjobs, that´s who!

new topics

top topics

join