It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The search for life evidence on Mars.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If there is life on Mars what form would it take?

Could it be microbial or a much more advanced form?

If it is a more advanced, could the life-forms have intelligence?

I have started this thread to show some of the objects and anomalies which are worth further examination in the quest to determine if there are positive signs of a life existence on the planet.

The first image shows a typical martian view that was captured by the MER Spirit during sol 1898. The main object of interest in the image I have indicated with a yellow arrow. The other items which, I believe could possibly be structures of some description, I have indicated with red arrows.

Is the main object in the foreground just an unusually shaped rock or is it artificial?

Do you have any opinions about the objects showing in the view?

Direct view. i985.photobucket.com...

Image credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by arianna

That is the thing, we can't tell for sure. Things here on earth many times look artificial and are not. Unless we have someone to pick it up and look how will we ever be sure? we could speculate forever.

Personally i am of the opinion that yes there are many many artificial structures on Mars and there is life forms still there now both plant and animal and maybe intelligent also.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
We allready found life on mars. Appearently not many people noticed...

On August 7, 1996, an historic press conference was held at NASA Headquarters in Washington DC. News that scientists had found evidence of life in a Mars meterorite had leaked out, and NASA had to make an announcement. A few minutes before, President Clinton made these remarks at the White House before heading out on a trip to California:
"This is the product of years of exploration and months of intensive study by some of the world's most distinguished scientists. Like all discoveries, this one will and should continue to be reviewed, examined and scrutinized. It must be confirmed by other scientists... I am determined that the American space program will put its full intellectual power and technological prowess behind the search for further evidence of life on Mars."

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by arianna
If there is life on Mars what form would it take?

Could it be microbial or a much more advanced form?
Judging by what we are supposed to know about life, microbial would be more likely. As for "much more advanced form" goes, it depends on what you consider much more advanced. Insects are much more advanced than microbial life forms.

If it is a more advanced, could the life-forms have intelligence?
Once more, it depends on the definition of intelligence. Many animals (on Earth) show signs of intelligence.

But having said all the above, I don't think Mars has advance life forms (like insects, for example), at least on the surface. Also, I haven't seen anything that looked like (to me) like a fossil of an advanced life form, so it's possible that advanced life forms never existed on Mars' surface.

Is the main object in the foreground just an unusually shaped rock or is it artificial?
It looks like a common sedimentary rock, like limestone.

The other objects are too far away (or too small) to see anything useful.

Here's a false colour version of that photo, with the colours adjusted to my taste.

edit on 14/1/2012 by ArMaP because: added the "(or too small)"

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by arianna

Rocks, weathered rocks, and shadows.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
ArMaP, There are other images of this object that is showing in the foreground. The object is not a rock. I will check the catologue for them.

I would also ask that you closely examine the objects on the hill in the background, especially the objects I have arrowed. These objects have shapes that resemble structures that have been found in other images from Mars.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by arianna
ArMaP, There are other images of this object that is showing in the foreground. The object is not a rock. I will check the catologue for them.
How do you know that the object is not a rock? What characteristics do you see that makes you think that?

I would also ask that you closely examine the objects on the hill in the background, especially the objects I have arrowed. These objects have shapes that resemble structures that have been found in other images from Mars.
Those objects are too small to get a good look at them, but I will look for other photos from that area.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Hey interesting post. I will have a closer look. May be some stuff there. The rocks will probably be rocks... unless matching counterparts can be located.

I note that there is quiet a bit of light distortion in the pic which matches up with pre-determined shapes. Not sure if they can be clearly mapped though.

It is always intriguing that NASA & co. always put these pics out there in public. Really, almost everyone just does not take a close look at the pics.

Photographic evidence is presented daily and the trolls dismiss them as artifacts, scratches, manipulation etc. Yet, they barely even loook at the pics.

I'lll get back to you

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blister
I note that there is quiet a bit of light distortion in the pic which matches up with pre-determined shapes. Not sure if they can be clearly mapped though.
I read the above several times but I couldn't understand what you mean.
Could you please rephrase it? Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LonelyGuy

Nasa stated that it was not fossilized martian microbes.

I have a thread pertaining to life on mars and even emailed noted nasa scientist chris mckay.
He replied that nasa has no proof of current or even past life on mars.

did nasa just admit to extraterrestrial life?

email from mckay:

(name witheld) this a misquote (or I messed up). Here is what I think:
1. We have direct evidence of fluvial features on Mars.
2. These strongly imply the stable flow of liquid water on the surface for extended periods of time early in Mars' history.
3. It seems to us that for liquid water to flow the pressure must have been higher. maybe 100x the present.
4. We also surmise that the temperature might have been higher too. Maybe as warm as -10C average. (today is -60C).
5. Together these suggest that life may have been possible.
6. When we look at the history of life on Earth we see evidence for life very early in the fossil record. So even a short window of habitability on Mars may have been enough for life to get started. Hope this clarifies things -Chris

edit on 1/15/2012 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/15/2012 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Hi ArMap, yeah I'll come back to you on that. Will need some detail to explain it...

Just dropped back for a sec to give an interesting post at hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Here is a sub-sample of the main pic:

The location of the sample can be found here:

Zooming in we can see a very strange thing:

Closer:

Make of the pic/s what you will. The original orientation has been preserved. The scene is what can only be described as an extremely steep slope (bottom is down the slope).

ArMap I will catch-up tommorrow about that. (3.30am here)

edit on 15-1-2012 by Blister because: correct address

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

that looks like a dark hole. Just like the countless other ones I can see in this photo. Theres no smoothness to it or anything about it that makes it look artificial.

Why do you focus on this dark spot versus the other ones? Im curious cause i just dont see anything out of the ordinary here.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

To me, it looks like a shadow, all shadows point in that direction.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy
We allready found life on mars. Appearently not many people noticed...

On August 7, 1996, an historic press conference was held at NASA Headquarters in Washington DC. News that scientists had found evidence of life in a Mars meterorite had leaked out, and NASA had to make an announcement. A few minutes before, President Clinton made these remarks at the White House before heading out on a trip to California:
"This is the product of years of exploration and months of intensive study by some of the world's most distinguished scientists. Like all discoveries, this one will and should continue to be reviewed, examined and scrutinized. It must be confirmed by other scientists... I am determined that the American space program will put its full intellectual power and technological prowess behind the search for further evidence of life on Mars."

I was thinking the initial sensationalism was the only thing people noticed-- but not the subsequent scientific studies.

Fossilized microbes are not expected to be found in igneous or metamorphic rock.

But since that goes against the excitement of the "discovery" it hardly got any news-- except among geologists who could have prevented the foolishness of the initial report if consulted.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by arianna

Left to right from top left:

* Cow patty
* Armadillo looking out from his burrow.
* A rock
* Nothing at all-- just soil
* Young Juniper
* Probably another cow patty

Lower left to right:

* sand and wind eroded rock.
* air scoop from a broken model airplane.

Wait a minute-- that's not Mars-- that's the view out my back window!

edit on 15-1-2012 by Frira because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Blister

Facinating picture,all the humanoids on Mars are very different,this one posted a few weeks ago was also an intriquing subject.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15-1-2012 by paperface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LonelyGuy

Try again. There is no conclusive proof evidence of life was found, it is easilly explained without life being needed and life was not even a likely culprit. We took notice, it was interesting, but certainly was not proof and was far more likely to not be due to life.
Edit: Others already beat me to it.
edit on 17-1-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join