It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Navy Is Depending on Dolphins to Keep the Strait of Hormuz Open

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

If Iran closes the Strait of Hormuz, the U.S. Navy has a backup plan to save one-fifth of the world's daily oil trade: send in the dolphins.

Say hello to the newest weapon in our arsenal amassed in the Strait of Hormuz!

I know that dolphins have been used by the military in the past for mine detection, but Admiral Tim Keating is very cagey in answering any questions on the strategy employed by the handlers of the dolphins. In fact, he really only says that the dolphins were 'present in theater' during the invasion of Iraq!

KEATING: They are astounding in their ability to detect underwater objects. NPR's TOM BOWMAN: Dolphins were sent to the Persian Gulf as part of the American invasion force in Iraq. KEATING: I'd rather not talk about whether we used them or not. They were present in theater. BOWMAN: But you can't say whether you used them or not. KEATING: I'd rather not.

The invasion of Iraq was the last time the minesweeping capability of dolphins was widely-touted. "Dolphins - - which possess sonar so keen they can discern a quarter from a dime when blindfolded and spot a 3-inch metal sphere from 370 feet away -- are invaluable minesweepers," reported The San Francisco Chronicle. In 2010, the Seattle Times reported that the Navy has 80 bottlenose dolphins in the San Diego Bay alone. They are taught to hunt for mines and drop acoustic transponders nearby.

So, they are taught to 'hunt' for mines, but what happens when they locate them?

According to a report in 2003, the dolphins only detect the mines. Destroying them is left up to the Navy's human divers. Still, the mammals are large enough to detonate a live mine, a prospect that doesn't delight animal rights groups.

How do the human divers detonate the mines without getting blown up? I really, really hope they don't train the dolphins to detonate the mines themselves.

Animal rights groups have spoken out about this, back in 2003:

When this was an issue in 2003, lobbying for the rights of dolphins was much more politically sensitive given that scores of U.S. men and women were being sent into battle as well. "We're not going to second-guess the Navy at a time of war," said Naomi Rose, a marine mammal scientist with the Humane Society. "But we don't support the use of marine mammals for military use." According to the Chronicle, the two groups emphasized that "they were not placing the lives of animals above those of troops. But they questioned the ethics and wisdom of using wild animals to ensure safe passage through hostile waters." Petitions have also been sent to the Defense Department protesting the use of dolphins:

Their main argument against the use of dolphins was this:

Since] forces regard the Navy dolphins as enemy dolphins, there might be attempts on the dolphins lives. There is also the risk of indiscriminate killing of wild dolphin populations because any dolphin can potentially be an enemy dolphin. Also, the inherent danger that a dolphin may be injured or killed in mine-hunting operations remains a very real threat.

So, do you think that the use of dolphins in the Strait of Hormuz is a possibility? I am afraid that the potential for retaliation against pods of dolphins is realistic this time around. I hate to even think what kind of decimation the Iranian military, much less Russian or Chinese forces could wreak on dolphin populations in the area!

I know that human life is more valued than a dolphin's life, but is this really an okay way to employ a creature that is known to be this way? Quote on their loyalty and trustworthiness:

By nature, dolphins are naturally reliable and trustworthy animals who seem to enjoy pleasing their human handlers, LaPuzza said. When they are released into the ocean for missions, "they come back to the handler, the trainer" ashore or on a ship.

It's just really sad that we even have situations that arise where the use of such intelligent, loyal creatures can be used this way!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Dolphins can be distracted by a bunch of food dropped somewhere, when they get hungry, they are gonna feed, nothing like distracting your most important asset. What if iranians dropped sharks for the purpose of eating the dolphins. Ehh, this just shows their desperation. If the US Navy is depending on dolphins for security, this goes to show that they are concerned and in need of serious assistance, and will ultimately face demise in the straits.

While they do serve important assent in mine clearing operations, they would be unable to stop torpedoes coming their way.
edit on 14-1-2012 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
enemy dolphins spotted...evasive maneuvers....deploy the anti-dolphin porpoise brigade

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
All of the animal rights nuts against this seem to forget that police and military use dogs. Surely they are in harms way, but no one seems to care as much.

Very cool idea though. Now for those sharks with lasers....

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
What if iranians dropped sharks for the purpose of eating the dolphins.

Thank you for the Laugh!!!

The "what if " factor leading the demise of the US Navy.

Sharks...........

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Yea, I loled when the US Navy needed dolphins to help because they are unable to stop the iranians

Plus whos to say that the Iranian navy wont eradicate the dolphins because they are being used for mine sweeping purposes. They could just set up fake mines, which were actually charges designed to kill all the dolphins

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
What if iranians dropped sharks for the purpose of eating the dolphins. Ehh, this just shows their desperation.

First off, you can't train sharks. Second, dolphins have to deal with sharks anyway. www.youtube.com...

You say desperation? I say innovation.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is so embarrassing on all levels. Is this Iran-US War even real? My best guess is no, my worst guess is probably not.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

Yes, I always thought that dolphins were able to defeat and drive sharks away!? Aren't there many instances of dolphins saving humans from shark attack? Seems to me that sharks would not be a very effective weapon against them!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

If it was the iranians using dolphins, I bet you'd be rock hard right now.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

While I disagree that the U.S will have any major difficulty handling the Iranians, I agree that there is a high probability that when it is known we are employing dolphins to locate mines, the opposing forces will find a myriad of ways to destroy any dolphins they find!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

I think you are probably correct there.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Who said the US Navy cant handle the Iranians?

The United States clearly has superior Armed Forces. I think you have misjudged them.From strategy,to technical know-how. No one knows 100%, what firepower will be used,what tactics will be used,what new and improved technology will be used,if America is threatened,and has to retaliate. Using dolphins is akin,as to using informants,or using Cherokee Code Talkers. In the Military,you use ALL your resources,to your disposal.

I dont see it as desperation,because its not like they havnt been working with Dolphins. They have been using them for years.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I don't think the dolphins would be used to detonate mines
Possibly too much of an asset - time in training, difficulty , expense ect

But did make me think maybe Pixar or dreamworks could do a CGI for kids lol

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Yeah, I am hoping that the time spent training them makes their use as 'collateral damage' too costly! They are not really admitting that they are using dolphins in the Strait, but the fact that it has even been brought out in the MSM makes me suspicious they are already in use!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I seen a tv special on them once. Apparently they are heavily used to detect swimmers around the ships. (bomb laying scuba enemies)
Dolphins can sense electrical signals in water very well, and they have that magic sonar ability thats more advanced then our own hardware.

I guess they simply alert handlers of people in the water.
though i would prefer they had lasers attached to them )

edit on 14-1-2012 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
it shouldn't be a surprise since we've had combat elephants in history and dogs, etc...

all is fair in love and war, as the saying goes, they found the next best thing to technology, biology, and manipulated it for their agenda like they do for anything else.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
All I could think of while reading this post was.

Seaquest DSV.

Anyone remember Lucas and his device that translated Darwins thoughts to english.
Darwin

edit on 14-1-2012 by TheKingsVillian because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2012 by TheKingsVillian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I'm part Cherokee . . . however, that would be Navajo or Dineh code talkers.

I'm confident dolphins would do a great job.

I'm mostly confident that the Navy would go to great lengths to protect their dolphins

BECAUSE they are so costly to train etc.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Oh great why not just copy the idea out of the video game Red Alert then

Poor dolphins shame on the navy for Animal abuse

edit on 14-1-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join