It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crop circles, let's discuss...again.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Crop circles. Fairy rings. Saucer Nests.

The earliest mention of crop circles in Europe dates back to 815 CE, AD if you prefer; by Agobard, archbishop of Lyon to a parish priest. In it he warned of pagans using seeds collected from "flattened circles" for use in fertility rites.

Agobard

Later, some eight centuries later, in 1678 a woodcut from England mentions the work of a "mowing-devil" which had burned and mowed a farmers field.

mowing-devil

So..

Whatever crop circles are, or are not, they are not a recent phenomena.

Explanations, or not so much...

are as numerous, it seems, as the circles themselves.

supernatural

The mowing devil of Hartfordshire. Fairy rings created by the "wee folk". or messages from Gaia, or ET. Both usually forecasting the doom of mankind if we don't mend our ways.

weather

In an 1880 issue of Nature, J.R. Capron put forth the hypothesis, later supported by no less an authority than Stephen Hawkings; that crop circles were the result of

cyclonic wind action.
. Hawkings, a century or so later, said

Corn circles are either hoaxes, or formed by vortex movement of air.

J.R. Capron/Stephen Hawkings

man-made.

Common circles are easily made using an anchor point, and rope, as a guide. For the more complex formations, scientists suggest that GPS, lasers, and portable microwave generators may be used.

Though left unsaid, is where these pranksters would get a portable microwave generator...

man-made

animals

In Tasmania, wallabies were found to be running in circles in a field of medical opium poppies...

oh, really?

Twenty-nine countries have reported crop circles, with the vast majority appearing in Southern England. Ten thousand in the final thirty years of the 20th Century.

I make no great claims to insight here... I do, however, find the crop circle debate endlessly fascinating.

If hoaxes? They can be appreciated for the sheer amount of artistic ability and labor involved in making the darned things.

If not hoaxes? Well then, that opens up an entire Universe of possibilities, doesn't it?

So...

Work of a mowing-devil? People with far too much time on their hands? Aliens? Mother-earth? Capricious atmospherics? Doesn't matter. The subject is endlessly fascinating, whatever the truth of the matter.

Enjoy. ...and keep it civil.

For your enjoyment

edit on 1/14/2012 by seagull because: spelling...again...and again...and again.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
As silly as some people may think I am, yes i do believe that there are alien beings visiting earth and making weird prints on our crops. For what? I have no idea, but i think some time close in the future we will be able to 'read' what they're trying to tell us

But, id say the bigger percentage are made by people with allot of spare time, especially the ones over here in the western word.

It would be pretty cool if somebody could get a compilation up of some Crop Circles in the east, like Iran,Egypt, Kazakhstan etc.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
probably only 1 video you would need to watch or read about and that's us(the human race) putting our DNA code onto a field via crop circles and getting a reply of a Grey with its DNA code encrypted =D.

dunno... there are lots of story's but the one i wrote above and the one with the black helicopters are my favorite ill add links later when i have the time to find them for now ill just observe the going ons in the thread.

Thanks to the OP.
circles are a fun topic mate but to much red tape for me =D

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
There is a precedent of circles in history, although from what I've seen so far none of them were complex.

The following excerpt from a longer documentary makes a case for many of the crop circles being done by MI5 for psyco-social purposes. They believe some circles are anomalous however.

Then there's these guys who have certainly made some of the complex designs popularized over the last few years: Circle Makers

Fascinating subject, but WAY to full of disinfo at this point to easily untangle. Could be fun to have a go at it again though.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Assuming the video I posted earlier genuinely shows a crop circle being created in a few seconds by white orbs this doesn't necessarily mean they are not man-made. Technology may exist to create these 'circles' with some form of instrument that projects these orbs.

I have experienced orbs such as this. The most dramatic experience left me with the impression it was intelligent and aware of local human activity. Acceleration from standstill to a speed too fast to see took perhaps two and a half seconds. Another sighting that was shared with others was of a large orb apparently dropping into our atmosphere, it split into numerous small orbs which all set off in different curving trajectories and accelerated rapidly till lost from sight. Again all over in seconds.
edit on 14-1-2012 by Kester because: addition

edit on 14-1-2012 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I love crop circles.

I'm so excited waiting for the 2012 season to start!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kester

I would love to see the full episode of that!

Do you happen to have it...or do I need to go youtube hunting?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

They are seasonal, aren't they? Maybe that's a link to an explanation. Maybe not the explanation, but an explanation for some of it...

But I share your fascination.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Ask, and ye shall receive...

Indonesian Circle.

I've heard of some in Japan, but I'm still looking for those...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
One thing about crop circles I've never really thought about before now is that the more complex geometrically perfect ones could never be done from ground level without proper surveying equipment,or VERY accurate (better than 1 metre) GPS?
And am I right in thinking they occur most often on or near ley lines?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is my favourite case- The Chilbolton 'Arecibo message'.

From what I can gather, whoever made this formation, would have had to have had a bachelors degree?

If the information I read is true, the response contained an alteration to the DNA structure, adding a strand of DNA that was, and is little known to be viable, by even those who practise the field- pun intended!

I will try to find the source, here's a great piece on the case-

Chilbolton Case.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

There is, apparently, some anecdotal evidence of that. ...and the fact that some at least, appear near ceremonial places dating back into pre-history. Stonehenge, and places of that sort. Though not all of them.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
The earliest mention of crop circles in Europe dates back to 815 CE, AD if you prefer; by Agobard, archbishop of Lyon to a parish priest. In it he warned of pagans using seeds collected from "flattened circles" for use in fertility rites.
Really?

From what I could find, Agobard himself saw three men and a woman being accused of coming from a Magonian vessel and the people wanted to kill them, but Agobard, after some talking with the people, convinced them to let the "Magonians" go free.

Magonia is supposed to be a country in the clouds, from where people come in vessels that ride the clouds to catch the fruit and grain that the large storms (supposedly created by the Tempestarii, magicians that could change the weather) removed from the plants, paying the Tempestarii for their cooperation.

I couldn't find any reference to "flattened circles".

Source (In Latin, with the second paragraph translated to French in a second page)

PS: I haven't seen a circle that could not be made by human beings with conventional tools, so I don't see any reason to point to esoteric explanations to something that can be made by humans.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kester

IIRC That was later proved to be faked I am sure its on another thread on here.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Soapusmaximus

Thats the circles i was refuring to lol i will no longer require the links thanks.
the so called "reply" is so much for fascinating then the code we put down...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Seriously if aliens do travel many light years to get here you think they would have a better way to lets us know than BEND SOME GRASS

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

True enough...from our viewpoint.

Their viewpoint, however, might be a bit different, no? Who can say, with any degree of certainty, how a visiting alien might attempt to communicate? Not I.

I do, however, agree with you in most cases.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
ever taken the subway there wmd? no matter where you are located its always the same... and im sure the "artists" that put the crap there could of been doing something a whole lot more productive. but no spraying a wall(bending some grass) is their thrill... in short we express ourselves differently why wouldn't a smart race from another planet?

and if you've seen some of these circles its not just bending grass its like drawing up blueprints mate.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

In the source I gave, it does seem to be paraphrasing what he said in the letter... I'm going to have to look into that a bit more closely... My google-fu is apparently not strong today.

In a complete aside, he does seem like quite the visionary for his time... Probably cranky as all get out, but a decent guy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join