It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pirate Bay is immune to SOPA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Over on Techdirt, Mike Masnick has pointed out the mother of all ironies: The Pirate Bay, one of the largest outlets of copyright infringement, would be immune to the takedown tendrils of the imminently incoming Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).

Apparently it all comes down to the fact that The Pirate Bay has a .org domain — and according to Masnick, the current version of the SOPA bill working its way through congress excludes American domestic domains from being the target of takedown notices from copyright holders. In this case, a “domestic domain” is any domain that comes from a TLD run by an American registry — and sure enough, .org’s registry is Public Interest Registry, a US non-profit based in Virginia. In other words, thepiratebay.org isn’t eligible for a SOPA-based takedown, even if its servers are based in Sweden or another country outside the US.

Source

Makes me wonder, what exactly SOPA is trying to accomplish? Is the government trying to set it up so that only they can dictate what gets blocked while stopping lawsuits when the government selectively enforces SOPA?

The whole SOPA issue just got much stranger.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Well here they already removed piratebay from the dns of one of the biggest isp's. No other sites were affected. Even youtube with it's copyrighted material stays online just nice. So you dont need a SOPA to get rid of sites.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It's a strange one for me.

I used to run online movie websites, but like all of the rest, blah blah blah I don't host, I link yader yader yader.

It was wrong, period.

Point I'm trying to get at is it was blatantly wrong, and my websites should have been taken down. I have to agree that TPTB definitely need something in place that lets certain authorities take down obvious websites that are criminal, whether they are hosted in a country that bypasses certain laws or not.

What I believe they are making a complete mess of is having the right to take down a website that links to a website that links to a website with copyright material in it... Where's the sense in that when a website that links to a website that links to a website that links to a website with copyright material in it wouldn't be taken down?

The world has gone completely mad. :S

BTW the above is all from a copyright perspective on my experience with websites and how the new acts would have affected me, I understand there's a hell of a lot more to these acts.

Man I have an abscess right on the gum where my Wisdom tooth is growing, really not nice. =[

join