It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Was Not Religious, so why hate Christians because of what religion has done?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by sacgamer25

Being willing to die on the cross, proving both that he loved the father enough to be subject to crucifixion and also that he loved his enemy enough to forgive them on the cross. This kind of love is perfect, a love that all of us should aspire to but one that none of us are likely to perfect.

Some problems with that reasoning.... Jesus was not exactly "willing to die on the cross", because he did ask for "the cup to be taken away" before his arrest. Yes, he submitted to Gods will, but at the same time was looking for a way out.

Secondly, Jesus never suggested that the law would be done with once he gets nailed to the cross. Instead he said, that those who preach against the law would be "lowest in the kingdom of heaven". So this christian idea that the law is done with goes against what Jesus taught.

Jesus was predestined to die on the cross and he knew this. His prayer comes from the Human Nature in him. He was a man and thus was probably a little scared, who wouldn’t be? I think the larger point of his prayer was for us. He was telling us it is ok to be scared, but to go ahead and stand up to persecution and always be willing to die for what you believe in.

You are right the law is not done away with. The law now is love. If you love God and love your neighbor you will not break any of the laws. This is the point, now instead of thinking of the law; you are to think about following love and allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you down this path. The change is only a change in philosophy.

The only thing that has changed is the punishment for breaking the laws is no longer administered by the earthly priest. Now instead of physical death, those that are unloving are handed over to Satan to be tempted and deceived. All judgment belongs to God; the law remains intact but only for law breakers. This means that some people do evil things and the court has a right to impose earthly judgment to protect society from these people.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25

Originally posted by hudsonhawk69
"Don't hate christians because of what religion has done"? Isn't that like saying "don't hate the player, hate the game?" What a cop out.

Christianity has a lot to answer for. Should christians be held accountable for that? 50/50. Perhaps if christians today make more of an effort to be less like the narrow minded power hungry christians that were responsible for the Cruisades, than other people might treat them with less disdain. What you put out there is what you get back and I've seen christians do some very petty, evil, nasty, hateful, vindictive stuff. In the name of god no less.

People did that. Christian people both as individuals and religeous zealots. 50/50.

I just ask you to consider this. A Christian by definition is a disciple and follower of Christ. So if someone is doing something outside of love are they a Christian? Anyone can claim to be anything but that does not make it so.

If I tell you I am a vegan but go to the steakhouse every night for Prime Rib am I a vegan?

So when someone is truly a Christian they may take offence with being lumped into the group of those who claim they are Christian but are not.

It is those who claim to follow Christ but do those things that have a lot to answer for. But they will have God as their judge so I try not to concern myself with them.

Personally I don’t have an issue with your statements because I am comfortable with my faith and the truth. I was just pointing this out for those who are more sensitive towards these things.

edit on 18-1-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

Lol... Thank you. Good point, I appreciate that. One of my favorite sayings used to be" standing in the garage doesn't make me a car any more than going to church makes me a christian!" ( I stole that saying from the notice board at work.)

<< 8  9  10   >>

join